Yes officer, I have weapons you need to be aware of - Page 10

Yes officer, I have weapons you need to be aware of

This is a discussion on Yes officer, I have weapons you need to be aware of within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to bring this up after it's been dead for a few days This man is a member of another forum I frequent, and yes ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Yes officer, I have weapons you need to be aware of

Sorry to bring this up after it's been dead for a few days

This man is a member of another forum I frequent, and yes he is suing!

I would post the link to his thread about this but it's in a part of the forum that requires 50+ posts...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am probably in the minority on this but...Officers can't know everything. Seriously, look at the penal code for a city/state/county/etc. It's freaking massive. Cops arent lawyers. I understand that it is hard to enforce the law if one does not KNOW the law but they can't be expected to know ALL of the law. That's what judges and lawyers are for. That being said I think the state should have to pay the guys legal fee's without a doubt.
    new guy here......

I agree and disagree. No one has the law memorized. Not even lawyers or judges (though they have a better recall since they use it so much).

When it comes to LEO I think that it should be a requirement that they know the weapons laws, the carry laws (open/concealed), and of course the laws regarding use of those weapons in their states. Backwards and forwards. It's really not that difficult to learn those laws.

In this case you can blame Texas for writing a vague law.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieShoot View Post
    new guy here......

I agree and disagree. No one has the law memorized. Not even lawyers or judges (though they have a better recall since they use it so much).

When it comes to LEO I think that it should be a requirement that they know the weapons laws, the carry laws (open/concealed), and of course the laws regarding use of those weapons in their states. Backwards and forwards. It's really not that difficult to learn those laws.

In this case you can blame Texas for writing a vague law.
    Hey new guy, welcome aboard and Merry Christmas

I agree and disagree with you . Why should an LEO be required to know the gun laws, and not all laws? I mean how can you just pick and choose what they are required to know?

Dont get me wrong. Most of my close friends are LEO's, and I agree its is impossible to know EVERY law there is, but I dont know how you could pick what laws they HAVE to know.

Merry Christmas ya'll!
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

They should know a general overview of laws, but they should also be given extra emphasis in certain laws. They get extra training in certain laws when they specialize so why not weapons laws? Especially given that they will come across them a lot over their career.

Interesting issues here. I fully understand the officers being suspicious. Heck, even the driver admitted that much.

However, suspicion does not make the public perps. The only time an officer should arrest someone is when they KNOW the activity in question is illegal. If you don't know, don't arrest until you DO know. Here in Alaska most officers carry a little book with all the pertinent criminal statutes. If that can't clear up the issue you refer to your Sgt. or the assistant DA on call.

Also, officers do arrest people on questionable offenses! If the individual is enough of a problem (not in this situation) you can find something to fit. That's reality and, in my experience, done for the good of the individual and the community (drunk and looking for a fight, but hadn't found one yet.) As the saying goes, "you might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride."

So, what does all this boil down to? Officers need to be fair, knowledgeable, experienced, dilligent and understanding. Had the officer in question had a little understanding he might have asked where the OC was purchased and checked on that with other officers.

The law in TX seems clear to me: if it is sold commercially to the public it must be "small."

As to the labeling it's just a piece of paper, nothing more. Years ago I carried OC into Canada and had it confiscated because it had a lable that specifically said, "not for use on animals." If it had said, "not for use on humans" I would have been allowed to keep it. Silly Canadians!!!

Re-embursment? Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen. The "victim" here will have to show the officer acted outside his normal duties or went beyond normal practices. In a criminal law class years ago my professor said that any officer who is not pushing the line is missing crimes. I agree, but feel that the younger the officer, the less life experience, and hence the lack of a base to make GOOD decisions about when to push that line.

Oh, and yes, ALL should obey the law, no matter what their place in the community is. Law enforcement must not only follow the law, but should act at all times in a manner to be an example to the communities in which they live.
    The corollary to the idiom"Out of Sight, Out of Mind." is, "If you are out of your mind, stay out of sight!" 8^)

even if the guy had strobes and a siren its not illegal if he isnt using them on a public road. And not trying to impersonate a peace officer.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Links