Yes officer, I have weapons you need to be aware of

This is a discussion on Yes officer, I have weapons you need to be aware of within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Kenny256 Dont officers only have the right to deal witht he problem they pulled you over for? After he proved ownership I ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes officer, I have weapons you need to be aware of

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    Dont officers only have the right to deal witht he problem they pulled you over for?

After he proved ownership I would have said have a nice day!

And maybe the officer was just trying to show off to his police chief?
    - Which is why I would not inform the officer that I was carrying if my state did not require it. I don't see the benefit in it for a routine traffic stop.

2. Remove Ads

If an officer in a state that doesn't require you to inform ask if you have any weapons are you not required to answer the officer truthfully? (wow that was A run-on sentence). I don't feel right lying to anyone, let alone an officer.

Yes LEOs should always know the law, most carry a pocket version od CRS. I've had an officer show it to me before. Heck, they most have a computer in the squat car anymore. Can't they use Google? It ain't that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are times when I wonder whether legislators and those charged with enforcing such things are actually on the citizens' side of the fence.
    Let me help you out with that: They are not. Even though there may be exceptions, you will be much better off if you just assume that all politicians, bureaucrats, and LEO's are NOT on your side until they prove otherwise.

Look at it this way. Would you trust a stranger on the street to be "on your side"? No, he's probably looking out for himself. Well, so are the government officials and LEO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    All that makes it sound like Simpkins is one of those wannabe fire or police guys. If that is the case, that probably means he was known to the police (ask a cop, we all know of these people and have dealings with them), and probably isn't either a firefighter or LEO because he doesn't qualify for one reason or another.
    And this provides probable cause or suspicion for what crime? Are you saying that wanting to be a police officer or firefighter looks suspicious?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Also, the place to argue the validity of an arrest is not the side of the road, but rather the inside of a courtroom.
    That seems to me to be a very glib and casual attitude to take when you are talking about depriving a citizen's liberty. Do you honestly expect a law abiding, free man to just give up his liberty without even a whimper?

Are we SUBJECTS or are we FREE MEN?

Too many LEO's (and too many citizens!) believe the former.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    No, he's probably looking out for himself. Well, so are the government officials and LEO's.
    I guess you have a good point here. I mean, when he is called to a fight, he steps into a dangerous to protect...himself I guess. And when one of your kids is killed in vehicle accident and he has to call and tell you about it....him again. And all the stress he keeps inside, the high blood pressure, the good shot at an early death....yeah, its all for him.

That argument ticks me off. Not ALL police officers are out for themselves. On the contrary, most are looking to help. As in all of life, a few useless pieces of garbage all LEO's a bad name. And then people like you come along and do their best to trash a great profession.

Do me a favor, next time you onview a vehicular accident, get out and work it for the rest of us in the rain, heat, snow......

I not climb down from the soapbox upon which I stand...flame on my friends.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    I think the point is, the officer can do what ever he wants to do on the side of the road and there is not much you can do about it.
    And fighting the LEO on the side of the road certainly will get more charges added, ones that WILL stick in court.
    Better to just cooperate on the scene and get a good lawyer and sue the hell out of the PD like my mother and sister did.

And this provides probable cause or suspicion for what crime? Are you saying that wanting to be a police officer or firefighter looks suspicious?
    No, I was saying that having one's vehicle done up to look like an emergency vehicle is suspicious. Since you didn't bother to quote my whole post, or even the whole paragraph you did quote, I can't assume you read it. It was pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    If an officer in a state that doesn't require you to inform ask if you have any weapons are you not required to answer the officer truthfully? (wow that was A run-on sentence). I don't feel right lying to anyone, let alone an officer.

Yes LEOs should always know the law, most carry a pocket version od CRS. I've had an officer show it to me before. Heck, they most have a computer in the squat car anymore. Can't they use Google? It ain't that difficult.
    You are always within your rights to refuse to answer questions, but actually lying might be a violation of state or local law, it just depends on the state or locality.

I have several statute books and internet access in my cruiser. I use them if I'm unsure of something. The problem is in this specific case that the statute was so unclear that even the DA was willing to prosecute. People here seem to be assuming that the arrest was invalid, but the actual facts don't support that completely; there is some debate on the issue.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

That seems to me to be a very glib and casual attitude to take when you are talking about depriving a citizen's liberty. Do you honestly expect a law abiding, free man to just give up his liberty without even a whimper?
    And what happens when youre resisting arrest and make the situation worse ?
    All fighting on the scene does is precisely what some of these bad LEO's are trying to get in the first place...some bogus charge to arrest you over.
    When the USA goes communist then we will fight corrupt enforcers on the side of the road.
    While we have court systems and lawyers around we really need to just cooperate during the arrest and then get a good lawyer, maybe even contact the NRA for some advice as well.

Fighting with a LEO on the roadside is just insane. You just cant win.

So, the guy was a poser or the cops thought he was a wannabe and they looked real hard for a reason to cuff & stuff him.

I bet the rookie got a beer out of the deal.

That's why I do not advertise, no NRA stickers, nothing political and my car isn't something you would want to steal but doesn't draw attention.

police officers lie all the time. They expect to be lied to. Don't disappoint them.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Maine,we don't have to but I would as a common courtesy.Just might save me
    getting a ticket.

So when an officers asks if you have a "weapon or anything that might hurt me" what is considered a weapon? My 4 D-cell mag light under the seat? A lug wrench on the floor board? A screw driver on the dash? Maybe there's a steak knife in my lunch box. It definatly sounds like the officers oversteped their bounds on this one.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    No, I was saying that having one's vehicle done up to look like an emergency vehicle is suspicious. Since you didn't bother to quote my whole post, or even the whole paragraph you did quote, I can't assume you read it. It was pretty clear.
    You are free to assume whatever you want, but I did read your entire post. I only quoted the part that was relevant to my response.

Again I ask you, this provides probable cause or suspicion for what crime?

I guess you have a good point here. I mean, when he is called to a fight, he steps into a dangerous to protect...himself I guess. And when one of your kids is killed in vehicle accident and he has to call and tell you about it....him again. And all the stress he keeps inside, the high blood pressure, the good shot at an early death....yeah, its all for him.
    We all have jobs to do, and we get paid for them, just like LEO's. I will agree that law enforcement is a high stress, dangerous job. But they aren't doing it for free, they are receiving pay for it.

As for fatality risk, loggers, pilots, fishers, steel workers, trash collectors, farmers, and roofers all have a higher fatality rate than LEO's according to this link:
    America's most dangerous jobs - Sep. 23, 2005
    Similar stats at:
    Dangerous Jobs
    Extra: The 10 most dangerous jobs in America - MSN Money
    Most Dangerous Jobs in the United States | eHow.com

Besides, just because someone is in a high risk occupation does not mean you can trust them.

That argument ticks me off. Not ALL police officers are out for themselves. On the contrary, most are looking to help. As in all of life, a few useless pieces of garbage all LEO's a bad name. And then people like you come along and do their best to trash a great profession.
    Oh, this is nowhere near my best! I will agree that not all LEO are bad people. And I will agree that incidents of inappropriate LEO behavior get a LOT more press than good or heroic behavior. I would even say that most LEO are good people. But, there are enough bad or incompetent LEO's (and government employees in general) that you should never assume they are looking out for your best interest.

Do me a favor, next time you onview a vehicular accident, get out and work it for the rest of us in the rain, heat, snow......
    I'll leave that for the public servants. It is one of the things they are paid to do.

I've only been stopped once while Oc'ing so it wasn't much of an issue he could see my weapon in plain sight. However my work uses off duty police as security so I get to know a few of them. So I figure it's only good manners to tell them you have a weapon but proceeded by "I have a CCW permit." It keeps me from possibly being beaten, maced , or shot and makes some officers more at ease knowing you aren't going to surprise them with "Oh that, that's just my gold plated tiger striped Desert Eagle. Oh and i have a CC... ahhhhhhh my eyes the mace burns us!"

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links