Why would I need an outstate permit?

This is a discussion on Why would I need an outstate permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread may exist already, but for the benifet of the newer folks on the forum, what is the need for a CHL from another ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why would I need an outstate permit?

This thread may exist already, but for the benifet of the newer folks on the forum, what is the need for a CHL from another state? Are there advantages and disadvantages to haveing multiple? I live in TX and, though I dont have mine yet (please pm me if you are a CHL instructor in the Houston area ), i realize that a TX permit will allow carry in most states though not all.

Please add comments. Thanks
    Last edited by basher052; November 20th, 2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Yes, that should read "Out of state" in the title...im a dufus!
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    An out of state permit, such as Utah's, will add several states to your list. That is the primary reason to get an out of state permit. Utah's is one of the most widely accepted, and therefore quite popular as someone's first choice for a second permit.

Hope this helps

I think the ultimate goal is to be able to carry anywhere you go...obviously not possible, but get the most you can so you don't have to go unarmed.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; November 20th, 2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Cool

I've been wondering the same things. To some, it seems to be a new sport or hobby to see just how many permits one can acquire.

Recession? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    An out of state permit, such as Utah's, will add several states to your list. That is the primary reason to get an out of state permit. Utah's is one of the most widely accepted, and therefore quite popular as someone's first choice for a second permit.

Hope this helps
    It helps, but one more question I forgot to add (maybe ill edit....again ). Do you have to have a CHL in your resident state in order to obtain one in another state, or does that vary in each state?
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I don't know other states laws on this, but in Utah, you can get a permit (resident or not) regardless of other permits.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I have a Maine permit simply because they don't honor anyone else, they are shall issue and I go up there every summer. It's nice to have.

In addition as others have stated, other permits pick up other states you can carry in that does not honor your home state permit.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    It helps, but one more question I forgot to add (maybe ill edit....again ). Do you have to have a CHL in your resident state in order to obtain one in another state, or does that vary in each state?
    It depends on the state. In PA, NH and ME you need a home state permit. I remember having to produce my PA LTCF to Maine and New Hampshire in order to obtain an out of state permit.

FL for example, does not require a home state permit.

A couple of reasons:

- lost wallet
    - late/forgotten renewal
    - reciprocity with more states

I'm a Kentucky resident who lived in Pa for 20+ years. As I visit from time to time, I thought the purchase of a non-resident license might be a good idea if only to protect me from the, shall we say "eager" cop, who would not be impressed by my Ky license. The Ky license is honored in Pa but that would not necessarily help should I for some reason run into a horses behind in uniform.

If you travel to states your home state does not have reciprocity with it is a good thing to get. Florida and Utah are your best bet for max coverage. I believe Utah will become harder to get as they are requiring instructors to go to Utah for training. Not something I, and I believe others will not be willing to do so they will lose me as an out-of-state instructor when my renewal comes up.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Recently in another thread, someone moved to a different state and now has to wait 6 mo before even applying for a permit while his former state's permit is now invalid - that's a potential 8 mos w/o a permit.

If you have an out of state permit, your status as a CC'er doesn't show up in a DMV check when pulled over - never know the attitude of the cop pulling you over.

In Fl, you can use your DD214 to get your permit so it may be easier to get until you can get to a local course. Of course, that doesn't excuse you from learning your state's deadly force statutes.

I live in Oregon and Oregon does not recognize permits from any other state. Washington does not recognize an Oregon permit. My grandchildren live in Washington so in order to avoid hassle it is easier from me to have both an Oregon and Washington concealed carry permit.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

My New Hampshire non-resident allows me to carry in several additional southern states. Primary is a Va resident.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Too many people in Missouri have access to the CC database to suit me. I have an out of state permit to limit the number of locals that might know I carry when away from my house.

It all depends on where you live, where you travel, individual state CCW laws...
    Some may not need another state CCW permit...others may find it extremely usefull.
    My FL permit covers me for any place I desire to travel.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links