Any way for GA resident to CCW in SC?

This is a discussion on Any way for GA resident to CCW in SC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perhaps all you Georgia residents could go in together and buy one acre of land in South Carolina and then divide ownership amongst yourself. Seriously ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any way for GA resident to CCW in SC?

Perhaps all you Georgia residents could go in together and buy one acre of land in South Carolina and then divide ownership amongst yourself. Seriously if you bought 1/64th of an acre, you wouldn't be out too much. Maybe you could buy the acre from another forum member and the lease it back to him for 50 years for about the cost of the purchase. It seems like the idea might be worth thinking about.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    Perhaps all you Georgia residents could go in together and buy one acre of land in South Carolina and then divide ownership amongst yourself. Seriously if you bought 1/64th of an acre, you wouldn't be out too much. Maybe you could buy the acre from another forum member and the lease it back to him for 50 years for about the cost of the purchase. It seems like the idea might be worth thinking about.
    As a land-owner in SC, I pondered that one. There are some additional financial obstacles; Engineering fees for the plat, recording fees, closing costs, as well as having to pay SC property tax in perpetuity, along with whatever impact/complexities it may have on your annual income tax returns.

It's certainly do-able, but is it worth it?

Yeah Pang and Whec. It comes down to something that is financially feasble to make it poasible.

Possible loop-hole. I haven't read anything that says the SC non-res permit is rendered invalid if I were to sell the real property that made me eligible for the permit in the first place. I do have a sister in SC so I wonder if it would be possible to be temporarily added as a co-owner to their property. It all depends on the cost to do that. I would have to do it every time I renew it though.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

According to opencarry.org you can have a loaded handgun in the glovebox in South Carolina without a permit. Here is a thought if you want a South Carolina LTC maybe you could find a very small lot being sold for back taxes. If it was something really small that nobody wanted the taxes might be very low, or you buy a small mobile home lot and rent it out. A friend of mine that moved from Louisiana said there are no property taxes there on any house worth less than $100,000.

VIP Member
    SC has a lot of swamp land you might be able to buy cheap!

Black Powder is exempt from SC firearm permit laws so i would assume you could carry it openly??? ive asked this question numerous times but no one knows the answer......
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Looks like you can get a non resident florida or texas license and carry in georgia

if you like silver bracelets :P you can car carry OP and into your hotel room etc....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The Assessor has to fill out and sign a form that states you have real property in SC to give to the issuing agency to get a SC Non Resident Permit. When you renew you will also have to have that same form signed again by the assessor to renew.

The only way you can become legal in SC by living in a state they do not honor is to own a piece of property in SC. An empty lot or acre in the middle of nowhere would qualify you. You would have to pay property tax on it every year. I don't believe a grave plot would qualify you as you don't pay property tax on the plot every year.

Your best bet would be to buy an acre that is just about worthless and and pay the property tax on it every year.

Talk to some Realtors as they may know of something cheap. It just depends on how much you are wanting to spend to get legal in SC.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

If you purchase land in sc. make sure you classify it as farm use (tree farm etc.)cuts taxes big time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links