Bars, alcohol and lawful concealed carry

This is a discussion on Bars, alcohol and lawful concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The subject of bar carry has interestingly been a split decision item for 2A supporters. In a handful of states it's a lawful act to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bars, alcohol and lawful concealed carry

Bars, alcohol and lawful concealed carry

The subject of bar carry has interestingly been a split decision item for 2A supporters.

In a handful of states it's a lawful act to do so such as in of all places MA (!).
    Many other places around the nation though it is an unlawful act to do so.
    Then there is VA and the 'VA tuck' requiring open displayed carry only.

I have and do carry everywhere I can as when ever I can, lawfully.

Last night I got a call from the husband of the director at the pre-school where my daughter used to go, and my son will be going next year. His wife is also at my invitation a new board member among the community volunteer organization that I am chair and president of.

He heard from his wife that I like to go out and do guy stuff, including play pool and watch movies.
    All truths.

He noted that he and several o f his friends from his zone, 2 towns and 30 minutes away, would like to do same and was wondering if I'd be up to meet with them tonight (Friday) for a few games of pool.
    Cool with me! I had planned to pattern some shotguns, eat dinner and catch a movie anyway so I figure lets get it on.

FFWD to roughly an hour ago...

I've sent invites out to five dads I know in town.
    One is a solid yes the other is a solid maybe (waiting on wife approval) followed by one no and two non-replys. Better than typical results.
    Meanwhile dude sends me an e-mail indicating he's bringing three with two more due to meet him on sight. Sweet.

We discussed venue today by e-mail and his buddies all want to go to a local place that is a brewery, restaurant, live band music spot and pool hall hang out all in one establishment. A nice place that typically is packed on a Monday never mind a Friday night.

I will as per my norm be carrying.

An easily concealed Colt Defender, a spare magazine of ten rounds, a combat oriented folding knife (not a GP looking 'box cutter' nor Swiss Army knife)...and likely a can of OC/CS too. My normal street carry gear.
    When out at night I usually will toss a tac-light into the left outer pocket of my coat as well.

As based on past posts a good amount of people here would have a problem with me carrying into this establishment.
    They serve not just beer nut liquor too...as in shots and mixed drinks.
    People go there to get intoxicated on purpose.

In my e-mail with dude noting to him pool halls in the region that we could visit I had stated; "They all serve alcohol as well though for me personally that is of no regard as I won't be drinking."

A 100% truth.
    I do not CHOOSE to do so and never do consume alcohol when I am carrying. Whether others around me or in my party CHOOSE to drink or not.
    I see no problem with this nor feel odd about it. Nobody has ever known that I am carrying when out with them, as they drink...in pool halls and bars.

I do not understand what the problem is with folks and their view toward carry in bars.

This is a valid establishment and reason for my being there. I go there for lunch and dinner dates as well relatively often, personal and professional. I carry...A gun, knife, and/or OC/CS.

Equally so my right and interest to defend my person does not end at the doors to this establishment. No more so than same as at my local bank (another place where some folks oddly have issue with carry) or as when I choose to step foot into say a church, as i did with my both kids in tow last Sunday...while carrying a gun and knife as concealed.

Tonight I will be concealed.

Dress normally to all outward appearance no fishermans/photographers/'tactical' vest required.
    Just regular street clothes looking like a Roman amongst the region.
    My tools of life preservation will be concealed and carried as within all rules and regulations of law.

Why would and should persons take issue with this?
    I just want to go out and have some sober fun with a few folks and get myself home in one piece so as to be able and available to do same with my kids tomorrow and the day after.

Note: This is not the facility but is a pretty good approximation of how it typically looks.
    The actual locations website is not loading properly at the moment.

Bar carry and as at other establishments that happen to keep or sell alcohol should be lawful for carry, nationwide.
    Here in MA we do not at all have even remotely a problem with shoot outs and stabbings in bar or alcohol service establishments. Even as alcohol consumption and alcoholism here is no different or less here than any other state in the union.

Penalizing everyone because a few people cannot act like adults and control them self by personal choice or impulsive action is not fair, to the majority.

Allowing bar and alcohol establishment concealed weapons carry is one of the very few things MA got right as related to law and law enforcement.

- Janq

P.S. - This particular establishment does have security. A single guy built like a human wall for visual discouragement.
    I happen to know the guy as he works at the same same fitness center where I go to train.
    I've long been carrying there too as not just through the doors but on the floor as well. Not difficult to do and as always concealed, per the letter of the law.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Hey, it's your call. You can do it legally. I just don't go to bars because I choose not to. Don't drink much and when I do it usually involves a fire pit.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Indiana is o.k. with bars also, I do not drink carrying or not, but I have gone to places like that armed, kind of like designated driver or carrier.
    Most problems I see or read is restaurants that serve, that rules out a good number of places to go to, no harm to me as long as they do not drink.
    BTW, Indiana doesn't have a problem with shoot-outs in or outside of bars, yes, it happens, but not people with LTCHs.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I've sent invites out to five dads I know in town.
    Cute- you boys are having a play date.

Penalizing everyone because a few people cannot act like adults and control them self by personal choice or impulsive action is not fair, to the majority.
    True. I am afraid that I have met more then "a few" people who have trouble controlling themselves. I try to stay far away from them.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I just hope with the new elections we just won here in VA that laws will soon change....Until then, its the VA tuck for me...

I don't carry when I've been drinking, EVER.

When the law in Ohio changes, I will go armed to liquor serving restaurants but not drink.

I see no point in going to a bar and not drinking. Therefore I will never go to a bar armed, regardless of the law.

Being in several bands, I am often in bars I don't really want to be in, but I love to play so its part of it. I would really prefer to carry but this being Georgia, I get hit with a double whammy. No carry in bars allowed AND being that we are performing music, we are causing a "public gathering" and Georgia's arcane laws state no carrying at a public gathering.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why would and should persons take issue with this?
    I just want to go out and have some sober fun with a few folks and get myself home in one piece so as to be able and available to do same with my kids tomorrow and the day after.
    Most likely because in their past they have either themselves acted irresponsibly or someone they have seen or known have acted irresponsibly under the influence of alcohol.

Your reasons are exactly the same reason I have no problem in going out and having a beer or two when I am carrying. I stopped doing stupid stuff a number of years ago and don't intend on doing them again in the foreseeable future.

My simple response to the folks that have problems with this is if your going to base your decisions of whether folks can carry to a place the sells/serves alcohol simply on the presence of alcohol, I would like to base my decisions on whether one can carry on the level of stupidity, sober or not.

Enjoy the evening with the guys, sounds like a good plan to relax and take a mental break.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I do not CHOOSE to do so and never do consume alcohol when I am carrying. Whether others around me or in my party CHOOSE to drink or not.

I do not understand what the problem is with folks and their view toward carry in bars.
    That's fine, as far as it goes. Trouble is, it doesn't go as far as it once did.

There are two primary aspects of carrying that I see, when carrying to a place where alcohol is served: (a) I might become intoxicated; and (b) others that get intoxicated might be there.

The first element I can absolutely control because I, too, typically don't drink anything when I go out with friends. But the problem is with the other element, since it's something I cannot control.

BTDT. I simply have no control over whether other folks are going to blow sideways, there. And, like it or not, at such places the likelihood of someone doing exactly that THAT time when I'm there is reasonably high. That's why I don't go to such places.

In short: It isn't about me or my behavior; rather, it's about others and avoiding their behavior.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree with Wolf. If you're responsible, then by all means enjoy yourself. Life is short, stay legal and enjoy yourself!

Ps. I'm thinking that most people on this site are way passed "bar age" and that's probably why there is so much anti-bar sentiment. I am in my 20's and I carry. It is very hard to have a social life that doesn't involve an occasional bar or two in my age group.

Jang,
    You have my permission. Go and have a good time.
    Semper Fi

P.S. Don't stay out late.

VIP Member
    Janq, I agree, if your legal to carry and your not drinking there should be no problem with you carrying. Your actions are the only ones you can control. you have several resources to fall back on if the need arises, the last being your Defender. Have a good time and whip butt on the table when they get a few in them! LOL

I play league pool here (APA) so I am in a bar once a week playing competitively. I am a 5/6 for those curious. I have been in the league since 01 when I lived in VA. I typically drink 1-2 beers which I would gladly cut out if I didn't have to leave my gun in the car because of the law. Besides me not being much of a drinker I feel that 3 beers is were I JUST start to feel a little something and I take my pool seriously. I want to do well for my team and myself so beering under the influence isn't good for my shooting ability.

Playing with my team is the highlight of my week. We have a great time because we are all good friends and enjoy each others company. Unfortunely some of the people we play against are less then model citizens and a handful we know for a fact are coked up. I really would feel better (as I always do) if I had my firearm on me. Clearly these coke heads have no regard for the law but here I am the good law abiding type that left his gun in the parking lot.

Last week I am destroying some coked up fool in a game of pool and he is quickly becoming visibly enraged by me handing him his ass. We are playing 8 ball and he is a 4 and I took him 4-0 and on the last rack he has all his balls left on the table when I sink the 8. The whole time he is mouthing off to my teammates and friends and when the game is over I shake his hand and he storms out of the bar.

I guess the whole deal just leaves me wondering why my government would not let me protect myself while I am in certain places. I love pool and I love the vast majority of the people in my league but the handful of rotten eggs really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    ccw9mm:
    In short: It isn't about me or my behavior; rather, it's about others and avoiding their behavior.
    There it is for me. If there is drinking going on I like it to be where people are not trying to get drunk and party down.

FL does not regulate CCW with drinking or being in a place that serves alcohol and food...just don't be in the bar area. Full-time bars (without restaurants) are off limits. Can I have a meal and a? You bet, not a problem, nor do I worry about a beer with dinner and being armed. I can go to most places (just not plain old bars) and remain lawfully armed.
    Gotta' love FL.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links