Two extremes.

Two extremes.

This is a discussion on Two extremes. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ''He who hesitates is lost'' (or dead!) ''Act in haste - repent at leisure" (legal fallout!) This is old material - nothing new and we ...

Thread: Two extremes.

Assistant Administrator

Two extremes.

''He who hesitates is lost'' (or dead!)

''Act in haste - repent at leisure" (legal fallout!)

This is old material - nothing new and we have discussed it before a few times.

I draw this tho as indeed two extremes. No matter how good our training, how fast we can respond - the bottom line would be in our near instant decision-making process. Time will in most cases not be on our side and let's face it - we all, even with Castle Doctrine and ''stand your ground'' - still have to justify any actions.

This is the element which to me has no total and foolproof training measure - no way I can see that will guarantee the right decision every time, guaranteed. Sure - most times we may be faced with a gun threatening us and we respond accordingly but - there are ''grey'' areas - situations where if too rapid in armed response, we are done for legally - and yet too much procrastination and we might take a round or two. We have to think fast.

I have yet to find a formula (mental) which can eradicate this but wonder what comments folks might have - any tricks that can be shared. My hope like most is - I will die (naturally) never having had to put this to the test but - it is a matter of concern nonetheless.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    My hope like most is - I will die (naturally) never having had to put this to the test but - it is a matter of concern nonetheless.
    Me too and hopefully a good many years from now.

This is a tough issue. As you mentioned, our training should be such that we can respond instantly to a threat. However, were our actions appropriate to the actual situation, or just the situation as we perceived it?

We'll never be able to come up with a system that's 100% reliable but I do feel that there are a few ways we can tip the scales in our favor. One way is to ensure that we never engage in any type of "ego-driven mutual combat." In simple language, don't go around getting into fights. Another way is to follow the "3 stupids" rule: don't go do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people. A third way is to have good "pre-fight" skills (verbal tactics, body language, etc.) that will defuse or deter anything short of a deliberate, pre-planned attack. Of course, awareness is always critical. If we can see a bad situation "shaping up," we may be able to leave the area or prepare so at least we're not caught off guard.

If we adhere to these principles, I feel that we have, at least, a good chance of defending our actions in the aftermath.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    The situation as you perceived it is all that matters.

Your life doesn't have to be in danger, you just have to THINK it's in danger.

To my mind worrying about the legal complications after an incident is pointless if it results in you not being around to worry about it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    The situation as you perceived it is all that matters.

Your life doesn't have to be in danger, you just have to THINK it's in danger.

To my mind worrying about the legal complications after an incident is pointless if it results in you not being around to worry about it.
    That's pretty much where I was going with this. If we reduce or eliminate the possibility of becoming involved in anything but a situation in which we are specifically targeted (which we can only do so much to prevent), we reduce the chance of having a "less serious" situation take a turn for the worst possibly landing us in legal "hot water."
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Moderator
    I posed a similar conundrum to one of my Gunsite instructors in a very difficult situation in a FOF simulator. He said, "Sometimes it life sucks doesn't it!" He was right! Sometimes you have to take what life gives you, make the best decision you can, and pardon the pun, take your best shot.

Assistant Administrator
    Good points Matt in post #3 - probably what I try to do and maybe most of us too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links