Technicality question

Technicality question

This is a discussion on Technicality question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nevada's permit has on the back each individual pistol your able to carry by make model and caliber except for revolvers where if you qual ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technicality question

Technicality question

Nevada's permit has on the back each individual pistol your able to carry by make model and caliber except for revolvers where if you qual with one you can carry any revolver. I just put in for a PA non resident permit so I can carry in NC where NV doesnt have reciprocity with. A PA permit I dont believe has the same rules as to what pistols you can carry so I would be able to carry any pistol in the states PA has reciprocity with and only the pistols that are specified on the back of the NV permit in states NV has reciprocity with correct?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    A word of wisdom regarding laws,there are many knowledgeable members on
    this forum but I don't take anyone word regarding laws concerning CCW.My
    carry permit is to important to lose because I was to lazy to check out reciprocity laws or prohibited carry sites like public school,school grounds.
    The bottom line is if you read the law book or city or dances and still can't make heads or tales o f it ask a police officer.They'll find an answer for you.

Lead Moderator
    Better yet write to the state's Attorney General and get a answer in writing as to what is legal. LEO's may give you an answer. It may or may not be correct, but a written letter from the the AG would legally cover you much better.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Im not trying to challenge any laws. The only time I see it might come into play is if I were in a state where NV and PA had reciprocity with and what permit I gave the LEO if it need to be presented.

Like others have already said, rely on your own research at the end of the day.

If your question pertains to carrying in NC, then this is what you want to know. Also, NC allows you to carry 1 handgun concealed with a permit, it does not specify what model.
    As of August 14, 2003, North Carolina also allows certain out-of-state concealed
    handgun permittees to carry concealed handguns, pursuant to such permits in North
    Carolina if the person’s respective state also grants such privilege to North Carolina
    concealed handgun permittees. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-415.24(a) The list of states granting
    such reciprocity, and therefore, recognized by North Carolina, is constantly changing. You
    should refer to the North Carolina Department of Justice’s website at NCDOJ for
    a current listing of those states which are allowed to carry, pursuant to their concealed carry
    permits in North Carolina. While carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified
    out-of-state permittees are held to the same standards as North Carolina permittees.
    http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Better yet write to the state's Attorney General and get a answer in writing as to what is legal. LEO's may give you an answer. It may or may not be correct, but a written letter from the the AG would legally cover you much better.

i doubt they would reply.... maybe he could ask a sheriff in that state to write the AG.....

in PA doesnt have training or a pistol registration on their peremits afaik so you should be safe... basically the permit your carrying on is just honored like a permit from the state you are in ex Ga allows OC, but i go to florida i cant OC(unless fishing,camping or hunting) becAUSE MY gfl is treated as a FL CCW while there
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

One of the things to consider is that the terms of many state's non-resident permits/licences is to actually have a resident permit/license in your state of residency. Therefore, for your potential PA non-res to be valid, you may have to also present your NV resident ticket.

Generally, other states are reciprocal with a certain state BECAUSE of their guidelines in issuance of the permit. So while the PA permit may not specify what firearm you can carry, you are not realistically meeting the intent of your NV licence, which, again, may or may not be dependent upon your NV licence.

Please do your own research, or even easier just qual with the gun you want to carry.

Ill do my own research before commiting. the problem is I wont be able to make it home for another year so cant add anything else to the NV permit till then.

--Stetson and Rocky are correct--here is another link you may find helpful--

--http://www.nevadashooters.com/

VIP Member

Bingo!

BTW, some AGs are not good about answering questions from individuals.

If no reply, from your AG, ask your local delegate to ask the AG. If the AG of another State, ask your congressman to ask for an answer.

When you get a written reply, you might want to send a copy to your local grass roots RKBA organization to post for others -- see:
    Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    A word of wisdom regarding laws,there are many knowledgeable members on
    this forum but I don't take anyone word regarding laws concerning CCW.My
    carry permit is to important to lose because I was to lazy to check out reciprocity laws or prohibited carry sites like public school,school grounds.
    The bottom line is if you read the law book or city or dances and still can't make heads or tales o f it ask a police officer.They'll find an answer for you.
    The LAST person I would ask for an interpretation of a state's CCW laws is an LEO. No disrespect intended either.

Ask the the state' s AG for information.

VIP Member
    While carrying in NC you are under their gun laws. NC does not require model of weapon on their permits. PA does not require it either. If you are carrying under a PA permit and following NC law you should be good to go. Remember IANAL and this is just my opinion.

I'm not sure that an AG's opinion can be considered legal...it's an opinion, that's all.

How's it going Rocky? Any snow yet?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

To the OP...

If you have a permit to carry that's honored by NV, and your permit allows you to carry any firearm...NV honors YOUR permit. I can't even believe that you would have to use a particular firearm as those in NV must do.
    Remember the NV law states which firearms on the back of the NV permit.
    If your state does not list particular firearms on the back (which I think is anyway), then your MUST be good to go because your 'xyz' state permit says you are...and NV has agreed to accept it.

It can be no other way...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not sure that an AG's opinion can be considered legal...it's an opinion, that's all.
    Interesting.

In Virginia the first of the duties and powers of the AG listed is

•Provide legal advice and representation to the Governor and executive agencies, state boards and commissions, and institutions of higher education.
    INAL but my understanding is that those opinions are binding on all State executive agencies, state boards and commissions, and institutions of higher education -- until reversed by a subsequent AG or reversed by a court.

In court, the AG is is the Commonwealth's law firm. So, at that time, it's an just one of two, or more, conflicting opinions. Once the Court rules that is the binding opinion, until reversed by a higher court opinion, or a subsequent opinion of the same court.

So, opinions are binding until....

As for local governments the AG's opinion are generally binding until reversed in court also.

County/City Attorneys (who have the same relationship to local governments) look to and follow the AG's office on legal opinions.

See:
    http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/...72-Barnett.pdf

Then there is the "Golden Rule of Politics" -- he who has the gold makes the rule. In this case, the AG has all the resources to represent the Governor and executive agencies, state boards and commissions, and institutions of higher education and to defend the constitutionality of state laws when they are challenged in court.

If a State employee goes against the AG's opinion he's on his own to represent and defend that action -- w/o any claim of solvent immunity and might well have the weight of the State Executive Branch on the other side.

So, IMHO it is the 800 pound gorilla opinion within that State, not just another opinion.

BTW -- Re: my earlier post, in Virginia:

One thing the Attorney General and the other attorneys on our staff cannot do is give legal advice to private citizens. If you have a private dispute, this Office cannot intervene.
    Hence the need to have your local delegate ask for you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links