New Here, need carry help

This is a discussion on New Here, need carry help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new here, but I've owned guns since roughly the age of 12. Got into pistols 3 years ago, with a Ruger Vaquero. Got my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here, need carry help

I'm new here, but I've owned guns since roughly the age of 12. Got into pistols 3 years ago, with a Ruger Vaquero. Got my CHP 2 years ago and started carrying a 5 shot Iver Johnson 32 ACP that I picked up for just under $100. It conceals very easy with or without a holster, but it is a piece of JUNK. Goes boom every 3 to 4 out of 5 trigger pulls and you can feel debris coming back at your forhead almost every time...

I now have 9mm Smith and Wesson Sigma SW9VE that I finally figure out how to hit the target with and want to carry. I also have a cell pal holster cell pal that may work if I buy pants just 2" bigger and a sturdier belt, but because of my legs being thicker than most--I can still leg press well over a 1/4 ton--that may not be the best option for me.

Who conceals Sigmas on here? How does one hide something that's roughly the size of a standard duty weapon without having a 'wardrobe malfunction' if they move the wrong way or a stiff breeze blows their shirt up a bit?

Sorry for the long, run on first post, but I could definitely use some help.

Im in Monroe county PA. Glad to have you aboard! I carry a S&W Sigma 40VE everyday (Same size as your 9). If Its open carry or concealed OWB its in a SERPA level 2, if I want full concealment its in a shoulder rig (Mine is by Uncle Milkes) or in a BLACKHAWK or Uncle Mikes IWB kydex holster. If I can find my camera, Ill post pics of all to show that it conceals relativly well OWB and COMPLETLY when IWB.
    Also, Im in a 38 waist, but wear a 40 for IWB and my belt (nobody yell at me please) is not a "gun belt" to be honest though I am thinking of getting one through belt man, Its a dickies belt, not dress belt but a regular everyday keep the pants from falling off your a** belt.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Typically, an inside-the-waistband holster will work best, worn at about 3:30-5:00 o'clock on your hip if you're right handed. Put a decent forward cant on it, and it will usually just disappear under an untucked shirt or other cover garment.

Gimmicky holsters are usually just that (your pager / cell pal), but some are OK. Go with a style of carry that has been proven to work, and then find one in that style that fits you and your lifestyle the best.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

After looking at the dimensions of your weapon, it is about the same size as my CZ. A good quality IWB holster set up should solve your problem. Granted you will probably need to go 1 size larger on your pants. If you don't want to go with a larger size on your pants then I'd recommend going with a OWB rig. You'll need a good quality holster and belt, that will pull your weapon into your body. If you wear form fitting shirts you will probably need to ditch them and go with something looser. Your in an OC state, so you really don't have to worry about the wind blowing your shirt up a bit. No harm nor foul if someone sees it. Besides most people are so absorbed in what they are doing, they don't notice whats happening around them.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You can conceal any firearm (almost) with a good belt, a quality holster, and some CC (concealed carry) knowledge.
    You say that you 'carry', so I assume that you have a CCW permit, now you need to take a SD (self-defense) pistol course (8-20 hours) and find an instructor who can 'explain and show' how to CC.

Here's a place to begin looking for a reasonably priced, quality holster, that won't keep you waiting for months. HOLSTERS
    I would recommend that your start with the #1A for IWB (inside the waistband holsters) and the #12 Basic for OWB (out of the waistband holsters). It costs nothing to look...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Here are some of the OWB and IWB at 3 - 330 position,I have a couple more to put up of the shoulder rig and 530 position
    ~Steve
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (54.0 KB, 27 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 28 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (37.6 KB, 26 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (29.7 KB, 26 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (44.3 KB, 31 views)
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.

These are the last ones, Forgive the one of my back, Had to twist to get the pic, but its sort of ok... BTW, that IWB im wearing is made by Uncle mikes AND blackhawk look the same and perform the same, also there is NO contact between the gun and my skin ANYWHERE with that holster. Cant find the link for it though.
    ~Steve
    Attached Images

First off welcome to the forum!! Second of all I am glad you are now carrying a decent firearm for SD!!! The Sigma's don't have a great reputation and I must say they earned it well, but their newer run is supposedly much improved. With any firearm you trust your life to, make sure it is dependable, 100% of the time, anything less and it shouldn't be carried unless the problem is corrected and proven so. Now onto carrying the weapon. There are so many variables that really make this almost impossible. You really need to find what works for you. I don't care for IWB, it just isn't comfortable for me, and I know others have discovered the same thing. But I have yet to find someone who finds OWB uncomfortable, so I will always recommend a good pancake holster and a good gun belt. Don't go cheap here, the belt is just as important as the holster, believe it or not. If you are on a budget check out the line of holsters from Don Hume, his 721 OT is one of my favorites. Good luck in finding what works for you and hope you stick around, this is the best forum on the net!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    hornet is on the mark with what works for you is probably gonna be different than what works for anyone else...a million different opinions and like the rest of us youll end up with a drawer full of "i thought this would work" holsters unless you get lucky early on...

i am a big fan of iwb over owb because its easier to hide a firearm in the pants without the barrel portion sticking out below the belt...i have had real good luck with my compacts (in your size range) in don hume 715 iwb holsters with the single clip on my belt...i have a heavy belt and also use some lightweight web belts with some of my shorts and it works great...pants 2" larger than normal...the 1911 carries well in a high noon with 2 belt snaps and the reason for that being the added weight of a metal tool...the advantage to the don hume holsters is the quality is very good andf the price is exceptionally low considering...a mistake here wont be a costly one...

i am a fan of owb also but in florida where the dress is skimpy most of the year i like keeping the bottom half covered by my pants to leesen the chace of exposure...

good luck...

Blade, Dont mention the Holster Drawer. Ive since given about a half-dozen away to friends since I started carrying ..... Also as a disclaimer to my pics, they were posted as Ideas only, not telling him he has to carry it that way. NCH, I agree with the sigma reputation, BUT it has come a long way since it was first introduced which is why I picked it up earlier in the year, 1500+ rounds so far in mine and not one malf.
    ~Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Here are some of the OWB and IWB at 3 - 330 position,I have a couple more to put up of the shoulder rig and 530 position
    ~Steve
    Just for clarity...

I have long been under the impression that the left hip was the 9 o'clock position not the 3 o'clock. If 12 is front and 6 is back.

So wouldn't your positions be 8:30-9 for the left side you describe and 6:30 for the slightly to the left in back?

There is a great thread on the site titled something like, "How do you carry". I cant find it now. There are tons a great pictures in that thread. I was pretty impressed with the super tuck holsters.

Commonman101, that IS my right hip not left, and the 530 position is to the right of my spine. pictures may look wrong as I had to use a mirror since there was no one to take the pictures. (I would assume thats where the confusion comes in). In retrospect, I should have mentioned that in the first post... Sorry for any confusion.
    ~Steve

+1 for Retsupt99. A good belt, the right holster and training are the way to go. When I first carried concealed I felt IWB was best for me. After carrying for several years I find that OWB with my shirt untucked works best for me. I just have to remember when reaching for something over my head to use my left hand. Happens a lot, I am vertically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Blade, Dont mention the Holster Drawer. Ive since given about a half-dozen away to friends since I started carrying ..... Also as a disclaimer to my pics, they were posted as Ideas only, not telling him he has to carry it that way. NCH, I agree with the sigma reputation, BUT it has come a long way since it was first introduced which is why I picked it up earlier in the year, 1500+ rounds so far in mine and not one malf.
    ~Steve
    I need friends like you.
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links