Defensive Carry banner

Traveling to South Dakota from North Carolina

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Old Sarge 
#1 ·
My G23 and I will be on the road soon to S.D. It appears that I will have to lock up my buddy while passing through Illinois and Iowa. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for my CCing along the way. Also wondering how different S.D. laws are from NC laws.
Thanks for any help. .

#2 ·
It's up to you to read each states laws on transportation of guns at www.handgunlaws.us before making the trip. My advice which is probably not entirely correct, but keep the gun on your hip or in the glove box and obey the speed limit and you'll stay out of trouble. When you reach IL and IO just follow the Federal Transportation laws and again obey the speed limit and you'll make it to SD w/o first going to jail. Where I may not be correct is that each state may require the gun to be located in a specific place in your car and some states may require you to inform a LEO you have gun, but if you obey the speed limits you won't have to deal with LEOs along the way.

#3 ·
I prefer to carry my glock in an ankle hoster while driving; I find it easier to access it.

I would suggest taking the Chicago - WI - southern MN - SD route. I seems to be a more direct (and faster) route and will be able to have your glock strapped on you longer during your trip.

Have a safe trip.

#4 ·
#6 ·
I recently went to Joplin, MO and back from NC and highly advise going AROUND Illinois. I will never drive through that state again if I can help it. There were cops literally every five miles and at one point, I saw three different tractor-trailers pulled over within the span of a mile. Not fun (plus the speed limit is 65 the whole way, and very flat; not fun driving).

On the way back, I came down through Arkansas. Can't remember the road exactly, but ended back up on I-40 just before Memphis, Tn. PS, don't forget about the rockslide on the edge of Tn-Nc; you'll have to take I240-I26-I81 detor, or you could do the old route of 25-70 which I did coming back as well; in the end, I don't think it made much of a difference, but the interstate detour was easier being all interstate.

Have fun, be safe.

#5 ·
I agree with retsupt99 that I would go around IL. I looked at the trip (generic center of NC to center of SD) and I dragged the route around IL and it only added an extra 2 hours to the trip. Your call. Have a save journey.

#7 ·
Lived In IL

Agreeded with all, try to go around IL! I livedin IL for 2 years (Glad to live in Maine now!) In IL you will need to keep your gun in a commercial gun holder (cheap one about $10 w/zipper), seperate your bullets from the magazine and keep everything seperate!! Put all in the trunk or furthest point in the car. I did a citizens police academy, and any LE sees any sign of a gun not in storage you will be looking down the barrol of their gun. AVOID CHICAGO!!! You can NOT have a handgun within the city without registering it with Chicago PD!! Otherwise enjoy your tirp! If you frequent Iowa, you can get their permit from some of the sherriffs there for $10 per year (I think). You just need to have a "business purpose" I believe how its termed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.