1st LEO encounter

1st LEO encounter

This is a discussion on 1st LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I got stopped for speeding in our small Louisiana town just south of Shreveport. My step daughter was involved in a small fender ...

Thread: 1st LEO encounter

1st LEO encounter

Hi all.
    I got stopped for speeding in our small Louisiana town just south of Shreveport.
    My step daughter was involved in a small fender bender. She and a friend went to see a movie. Well her car was hit and she called home. Well my wife and I started to town to make sure she and her car was ok. I don't speed at all being a Paramedic, and my employer likes us to have a clean driving record.
    It was about 11 pm and we were on the way up there. Our local PD pulled me for doing 54 in a 35, wow I was way in the wrong. I pulled over right away, turned on my inside light, rolled down the window and turned off my vehicle. He waited beside his patrol car and told me to step out of my vehicle and come back to his. He told me the reason that he stopped me. I had already pulled out my drivers lic. and my CHP and proof of insurance. I kept my hands above my chest out front and informed him that I had a CHP and was armed. Louisiana state law to inform. He told me that he was going to take disarm me. I stated that was fine with me. I also informed him as to why I was speeding when he asked. He then told me that he was not going to persue the traffic stop. He told me that he very much appreciated me informing him up front. Gave me my drivers lic, back and my CHP and insurance info. Then he handed me back my weapon, after looking at it. He said nice weapon (Glock 23) told me to slow down. He was very professional and polite. I saw him the next day while I was on duty on the ambulance. We had a nice conversation about the previous night. He even invited me to go to the range with him, which I will be taking him up on that. All in all I shouldn't of been speeding. But it all turned out well, and I think I have a new friend out of it.

Stay Safe!!!!!

Awesome! that is how ALL LEO encounters should be - 1) a honest and straight forward citizen and 2) a LEO that undestands the laws and conducts the contact in a profesional manner!

Great story!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good stop...Glad it went well...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Too bad about your daughter's fender bender, but the LE stop was great...and he sounds like a down to earth LEO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've yet to be stopped since I've received my CHL, but if I am stopped I hope it goes as well as this stop did Parcickemtp

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Great ending...but it bewilders me, why does a LEO feel the need to disarm a legit permit holder? Once he has looked at your DL and permit, shouldn't he feel as safe standing there with you, (armed) as you are with him, (armed).

Doesn't this additional handling of the firearm increase the chance of an accidental discharge? Isn't your holster the safest place for your handgun to be?
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    If fellow badges had been more like that when I was a LEO, I may have stayed in and careered out.

As to the holster being the safest place for a gun, I would agree. However, when anyone is stopped its human nature to feel somewhat defensive. Just like some pit bulls are friendly around strangers, it doesn’t guarantee they’ll remain that way. To that end, removal of a holstered gun may not be practical with respect to the officers’ safety.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Aside from the disarming, sounds like the couple of LEO traffic encounters i have had. After i tell them where it is, they just give me the, "as long as it stays there we won't have any problems" line.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Great ending...but it bewilders me, why does a LEO feel the need to disarm a legit permit holder? Once he has looked at your DL and permit, shouldn't he feel as safe standing there with you, (armed) as you are with him, (armed).

Doesn't this additional handling of the firearm increase the chance of an accidental discharge? Isn't your holster the safest place for your handgun to be?
    I've never been disarmed at a traffic stop, but I do have to disarm and put my weapon in a lock box when I go to the main police station. Just tell the officer running the metal detector that I have a CPL and need a lock box, then I pick it up on the way out.

I don't think it really increases the chance of an accidental discharge. I just feel it an unnecessary step.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    If fellow badges had been more like that when I was a LEO, I may have stayed in and careered out.

As to the holster being the safest place for a gun, I would agree. However, when anyone is stopped its human nature to feel somewhat defensive. Just like some pit bulls are friendly around strangers, it doesn’t guarantee they’ll remain that way. To that end, removal of a holstered gun may not be practical with respect to the officers’ safety.
    Regards,
    Dan
    True but then can I ask to disarm him with respect to my safety? After all who is to say he is not a bad cop. I know it won't happen as I won't ask but I would like to.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Sounds like it all went well. Good job!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Glad to hear things went well, I have to say I've been pulled over a few times with my CCW over the years but never been disarmed. Got the usual where is the gun on your body question but never had to remove. I did have one funny occurance when I was coming home from my in laws and we had been to the range. I forgot to bring a case with me when I went down and was carrying my 1911 in a shoulder rig and my PT145 in my belt holster(winter in michigan plenty easy to conceal) and I was pulled over on the way home. I told the officer that I was carrying and handed him my green cards(reg cards that were needed at the time) along with my DL and CCW, he then asks my why I'm carrying two .45's and what I was expecting to encounter. I told him that if I had to shoot something I wanted to make sure it stayed down;) We laughed and he sent me on my way. Either way I've had good experiences with the LEO's that I've encountered but I always turn on the interior light and place my hands above the steering wheel in plain sight right away and wait for the officer.

Luke

Awesome ending.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Bad LEO NO TOUCH!

this additional handling of the firearm increase the chance of an accidental discharge. your holster the safest place for your handgun to be. he may be unfamiliar with the working and safe handling of your gun and should not be touching it .
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links