Are you comfortable with Appendix carry? - Page 2

Are you comfortable with Appendix carry?

This is a discussion on Are you comfortable with Appendix carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thought doesn't bother me as long as I am standing up. Like I said I have been carrying my 38 revolver (2") like that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you comfortable with Appendix carry?

The thought doesn't bother me as long as I am standing up. Like I said I have been carrying my 38 revolver (2") like that for years. Although I feel safer because it is a harder trigger pull and the hammer has to strike the bullet. With the semi, it is a striker pin.

Also, with the M&P 40C I feel like there is more gun pushing upward while sitting or bending over to pick something up. Making me think it is easier to get pushed out of the holster. Maybe it is more a mental thing than reality.

No doubt that if I am just going out for a walk it is a lot easier to stick the appendix holster in and go.

I don't know. Now I am thinking I should sell this one (even though it is only 3 weeks old) and go for one with a safety????? ugggh

Of course an alternative would be to carry anywhere you want and don't chamber a round. Guess it is all a gamble. Shoot your nuts off, shoot yourself in the butt or chance that you have time to rack the slide if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    PS to Jim - re the defensibility of a gun in appendix carry. Get on the mat and try it out. It's far more defensible than a gun on or behind the hip, because humans are designed to defend the front centerline.
    You know, that is one of the wisest things I have seen posted to a board.

Why worried? Are you worried your gun will discharge in any other carry position? Follow the 4 rules and all will be ok.

I carry a Colt commander in the appendix carry. I had to have the Galco custom shop make a USA for me. I had it made without the normal extra leather at the end. The muzzle is flush with the end of the holster (this will be important later).

Here are the things I have learned.

When sitting shift the gun from the neutral cant to a barrel pointing at your left knee. It increases comfort for long sitting.

Wear the hook close to the belt loop to transfer weight to thr belt.

Do not decide to leave the range after "this" session, fire two fast mags reload with some carry ammo, holster and bend over to pick up your range bag. Well if you do at least try not to scream like a little girl as the muzzle brands a .45" circle onto the inside of your thigh.
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

I don't like it because if a BG wants my wallet, I can reach back and grab my pistol instead of my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Because I am shaped like an hourglass, I find it horrendously uncomfortable to carry anywhere but appendix carry.

To each his own!

pax

PS to Jim - re the defensibility of a gun in appendix carry. Get on the mat and try it out. It's far more defensible than a gun on or behind the hip, because humans are designed to defend the front centerline.
    Point well taken. I certainly agree that our hands/arms are stronger in front. However, I have participated in a few self defense classes in which we praticed some gun and knife techniques, and for me, I was better able to defend my weapon from the strong side. The lesson I learned there was to try to maintain distance at all costs. Too easy to end up the loser.

BTW, glad to finally meet the person behind "Cornered Cat". Great site!! I give the web address to every female student in my CHL classes and women I meet in the store who are interested in women's safety and self defense issues.

Keep up the good work,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

That is my primary carry mode. I carry a G27 in a Comp Tac holster. almost daily, without any problems.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I could never get comfortable with appendix carry, maybe if I ever find the right holster for it I'll try it again, but its a matter of comfort also a matter of the barrel pointing somewhere near and dear to me.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    That is my primary carry mode. I carry a G27 in a Comp Tac holster. almost daily, without any problems.
    As my mom would have said, it's never a problem till someone gets hurt.

Yea, with me it is the mental thing. Groin, artery etc..
    Well this afternoon after I made the original post I received a Deantis Scorpion. It is a Kydex IWB holster that is contour molded. I tried a few positions while at work. I settled on about 2:30 to 3:00. Loaded the magazine (did not rack the slide :) ). Left the office for the drive home. It was pretty comfortable to wear. While driving I kept checking where the end of the barrel was. If for some reason the gun went off I figured it would get a small part of my backside which seemed great compared to the alternative.

Wore it around the house and my wife or son never noticed it. Also waiting on a Comptac MTAC to arrive to compare.

Can someone explain (or have a picture) of how appendix carry, or crossdraw, works in a car with a seatbelt? IWB?

I understand that "peculiar feeling" associated with having a gun pointed "down there". There's just a particularly strong awareness as the genitalia and inner thighs are especially tender/vulnerable-seeming parts.

However, I have become comfortable with that "peculiar feeling", as long as I have taken appropriate precautions. A G26 in a holster that completely guards the trigger is fine. A clipdraw on an SP101 is fine, provided the trigger is directly behind the belt, and the clothing beneath is just not bunched up enough to ever interfere with that long DA trigger. I think a 1911 in a holster that's been extensively tested to not let safety sweep to "fire" position, in addition to enclosing the trigger, would be fine... I'd like to get a straight cant clip-on and find out.

I can think of plenty of carries that would never be acceptable to me too... Glock in a Smartcarry, etc, etc.

Appendix carry benefits that make sense to me (courtesy of MCS Appendix Carry Rig (ACR) from Raven Concealment Systems | Modern Combative Systems Blog ):

* The pistol is in the path of where your hands travel back and forth to your pockets.
    * This is also the flight path of your hands during the startle response.
    * Easier to access while seated behind the wheel of a vehicle. Your seatbelt is not buckled over it.
    * Your balance is not broken during the draw as it is when your hand travels past your pants seam.

The "defend the centerline" point made in a previous post belongs with those as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I put a lot of thought into appendix carry due to where that gun is pointin'!

Quote Originally Posted by dsoine View Post
    Can someone explain (or have a picture) of how appendix carry, or crossdraw, works in a car with a seatbelt? IWB?
    I don't use this method often but:

The IWB appendix holsters I have are designed to ride rather high so the muzzle doesn't extend very far below the belt line. They have a neutral cant (no tilt) and mine have only one attachment point (this allows the cant to be varied by simply rotating the holster ). The method seems to work well for short and medium barrel lengths, I have never tried anything longer than my 26.

With this type holster, I can carry my Glock 26 anywhere from behind my strongside hip to a weak side cross-draw position, adjusting the cant to suit whichever position is chosen. The crossdraw is excellent when driving, but anywhere forward of the hip is OK because the gun (in my case) is higher than the seat belt.

Hope this helps, of course YMMV,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

I do, with a galco tuckable and a G26 or my 642 with a black nylon holster with a velcro retention strap. Generally speaking, it's pretty comfortable for all-day wear and as long as I can't accidentally squeeze the trigger (because it's covered by leather or nylon) then what's to worry about. There are time when it's just quicker and simpler to put it on that way, especially for a quick trip to the store, etc.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

VIP Member
    Nope... too fat!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    For years I have carried a S&W 38 snub nose on my right side / appendix. Never bothered me mentally. I recently got an M&P 40 compact and today received my Don Hume H715M-TB. Holstered the gun and put in inside my pants to see how it would feel. When I sit down I have to angle it a little towards my private area so it doesn't stick into my thigh.

Is it just me or is does anyone else feel very uneasy about having a .40 caliber gun with no safety aimed at their private area?
    I feel very comfortable carrying appendix IWB. Why would it be any different than anywhere else carrying IWB? Bends, bulges, protrusions? If you carry a big enough gun, you can arrange everything so nothing is in the way of anything. If you're using your imagination to make your gun larger than it really is, or supposedly shooting something with no action, then you may need to look toward another forum or support group. I've never shot myself in my own underwear, and guns never shoot themselves. I never feel uneasy about how I carry, appendix included, and I carry Glocks. Be safe no matter which gun you're going to use.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links