Are you comfortable with Appendix carry? - Page 3

Are you comfortable with Appendix carry?

This is a discussion on Are you comfortable with Appendix carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod I feel very comfortable carrying appendix IWB. Why would it be any different than anywhere else carrying IWB? Bends, bulges, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you comfortable with Appendix carry?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I feel very comfortable carrying appendix IWB. Why would it be any different than anywhere else carrying IWB? Bends, bulges, protrusions? If you carry a big enough gun, you can arrange everything so nothing is in the way of anything. If you're using your imagination to make your gun larger than it really is, or supposedly shooting something with no action, then you may need to look toward another forum or support group. I've never shot myself in my own underwear, and guns never shoot themselves. I never feel uneasy about how I carry, appendix included, and I carry Glocks. Be safe no matter which gun you're going to use.
    because the body bends into/toward itself in the appendix area...everywhere else the gun barrel is pulled away from the body when bending...

VIP Member
    I've tried appendix carry & found that drawing the firearm is really fast! Amazingly fast!

My 'uncomfortable' moment is when re-holstering.....That makes me a little nervous & I end up using both hands. One hand on the firearm & another to pull open the holster/pants. When using a strong side holster, I only need one hand to re-holster.

The other problem is bending over, that can be painful.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Not me..... FWIW, If I'm willing to carry in condition 1, which is always I might add. I should have the confidence that the pistol won't discharge without the trigger being pulled.... I carry my G36 chambered and holstered in that position from time to time, but mostly @ the 4:00 position. I have no doubts that the weapon won't blow , Ahh, blast my privates off. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    For years I have carried a S&W 38 snub nose on my right side / appendix. Never bothered me mentally. I recently got an M&P 40 compact and today received my Don Hume H715M-TB. Holstered the gun and put in inside my pants to see how it would feel. When I sit down I have to angle it a little towards my private area so it doesn't stick into my thigh.

Is it just me or is does anyone else feel very uneasy about having a .40 caliber gun with no safety aimed at their private area?
    Not only that, but I tend to think my femoral artery might not be strong enough to stop a bullet.

OTOH, we all know that with proper gun handling skills and a good holster, the chances of a gun "going off by itself" are nill.

Sort of the same applies to people afraid of carrying with one in the chamber. No reason why the gun will go off by itself if the user does everything properly.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Can't do appendix carry. I guess I fall into the same catagory as Thumper. Can't do smart carry or any other method that would put a gun in between my gut, and my legs or privates being that I sit behind a desk most days. This is especially true for anything IWB.

My wife has recently switched to appendix with her 642 and her new OWB FIST #9 which was ordered with a rearward cant and sweat guard. So far it has worked for her, but I don't think she would be comfortable doing it daily IWB.

As far as whatever being pointed at the privates, well that wouldn't bother me as long as the gun itself isn't unsafe. I would be more worried about getting pinched by the gun when sitting down and folks looking at me strangely went I let out a giant yelp.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    I don't like it because if a BG wants my wallet, I can reach back and grab my pistol instead of my wallet.
    So the bad guy has you. For some reason you were unaware and let him close enough to be a viable threat (it happens, its hard not to slip into white on occasion).

Now you will engage? A guy is close enough with a gun, knife, club to be a danger of death or great bodily harm and you are going to go for your gun instead of your wallet. I m not sure that is good tactics.

chuck him the wallet and back away. get some distance and either disengage or draw your gun.
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

I carry either a G27 IWB or a G23 OWB in the appendix carry position - one is for summer and the other for winter. I admit that I would prefer not muzzling myself but I have not found a position that allows as good of access and is as comfortable. I use either a MTAC for IWB and a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit for OWB. Although I continue to experiment occasionally, I have settled into those as my primary carry.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When I think of appendix carry, I think of the 'brillant' crime solver on "Criminal Minds". The guy carries that way and it does not look comfortable nor pratical...OMO...and no, I don't ever carry that way.
    But a "J" frame is bigger than that guy

For me its 4:00 strong side IWB. Doesn't matter if its my 1911 or G27.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    Mr. Johnson is uneasy with appendix carry and proclaims:

"Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill"
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Mr. Johnson is uneasy with appendix carry and proclaims:

"Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill"
    If you carry IWB then it is always pointing (though sometimes more direct than others) at something. Especially when sitting.

No, I want to carry at 4 or 5, or pocket.

VIP Member
    If you carry IWB then it is always pointing (though sometimes more direct than others) at something. Especially when sitting.
    Try convincing Mr Johnson of that.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My wife and I are hoping for children soon...so i'll stick with 3-3:30 IWB. I totally understand guns don't shoot themselves, but as ppkheat stated, "Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill".
    Words to live by.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    actually iwb 3:00 or further back is pointing at nothing but air or a buttock grazing shot...when sitting the barrel is pointed at the chair if there is any cant at all...the worst you could hope for in normal iwb is powder burns or a hole in the buttock...you arent sweeping anything valuable on the draw or anyone near you..the presentation is clean and to the floor as the gun passes from the holster to in front of you...

the last thing i'm worried about is an accidental discharge but lets get our facts straight..

I generally carry either IWB holster appendix or a smart carry which is also appendix only lower. I have found that I prefer it. It is comfortable,concealable and accessable. I dont have to worry about the hug thing other than my wife Im not hugging that close. I am able to carry a Glock 26 in addition to one of the guns always in a front pocket. I have been carrying this way for sometime and havent shot myself yet. Of course its only a 9mm so it would probably bounce off anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links