Are you comfortable with Appendix carry?

This is a discussion on Are you comfortable with Appendix carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For years I have carried a S&W 38 snub nose on my right side / appendix. Never bothered me mentally. I recently got an M&P ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you comfortable with Appendix carry?

For years I have carried a S&W 38 snub nose on my right side / appendix. Never bothered me mentally. I recently got an M&P 40 compact and today received my Don Hume H715M-TB. Holstered the gun and put in inside my pants to see how it would feel. When I sit down I have to angle it a little towards my private area so it doesn't stick into my thigh.

Is it just me or is does anyone else feel very uneasy about having a .40 caliber gun with no safety aimed at their private area?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    same for me...i havent figured out appendix carry...i'm 4:00 iwb and very comfortable with it...

Lol, I've yet to try appendix carry for that reason alone. I just cant get comfortable with a gun pointing "down there".

I just don't like the barrel digging into my thigh. It's not where it's pointing that bothers me, it's the barrel actually digging in. Must just be the way my body is. A lot of guys carry their handcuffs on the front of their duty belts too. I tried it, same issue. Bottom of cuff case digs into the top of my thigh.

With an FBI cant on the holster, I can bring it up to about 1:30 position comfortably. Appendix carry doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I can see that making one nervous. I carry that way - on the left (so, at about 10:30-11 o'clock, instead of 1-1:30). It gives me the willies sometimes, when I realize that my J-frame is pointing at my right thigh. I'm pretty comfortable, though, that the thumb-break will keep the Ladysmith where she belongs, and that she's happy with me and won't shoot me.

I think it all depends on the gun, myself I'm not a wheelgun man. I prefer a manual safety also which is why you won't find me with a glock. Either way I would share your concern and myself wouldn't carry a gun there without a safety. I would though carry my PT145 there(actually in a smart carry clone as we speak, well I guess not the same place but sensitive area). I also don't bat an eye at carrying my 1911 anywhere sensitive, I guess it all depends on how much you trust that action and the holster.

Luke

I feel with a properly taken care of firearm and a proper holster; there is no need to worry about a firearm going off on accident. I carry that way when wearing shirts that are too tight around the waist. Or maybe I should just lose some weight???
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Well all that said I guess it doesn't matter if it points at a private part or if you carry at 3:00 to 6:00. It has to point somewhere and you still end up with the same concern. Hmmm, maybe I should have gotten the M&P with the thumb safety. Didn't like the way it was designed with the gun though. Kinda stuck out a little. That and all the opinions I read here about not getting a safety.

I am in agreement with the uncomfortable feeling. I've been carrying for a long time, and recently decided to try ingunal (appendix carry). Two of my carry guns are a Glock 26 and a S&W 642. I thought they would be great to carry in this fashion, having a short barrel and grip.

I was right - small guns like these work very well carried in the appendix position. Fast draw and presentation, minimal inteference with auto seat belt; can be carried crossdraw; easy access from a sitting position; no printing when bending over to get that item off the bottom shelf while shopping; did I mention a lightning-fast draw?

I like everything about the method EXCEPT the uncomfortable feeling of having a loaded gun pointed in the direction of my groin and inner thigh (Femoral Artery) areas. In any gun-safety discussion you will hear that it is bad to "sweep" another person or any part of your own body with the muzzle of your gun. That goes double when you know it is loaded.

I actually used the appendix position in a CCW match with the Glock and confirmed the speed of draw but I could not shake that little voice saying "Do you know where that thing is pointed"?

Bottom line for me anyway, I feel much more secure with behind the point of hip positions where the muzzle is actually pointed away from the body, and I can drawalmost as fast.

Last point but not least. I think in a gun-grab or retension struggle occuring during a draw, I would be better able to prevent or control when carrying in my usual 3:30 - 4:00 position, not to mention what if the gun fired during the struggle near the carry position.

Just my opinion, and of course YMMV.

Best regards,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

When I think of appendix carry, I think of the 'brillant' crime solver on "Criminal Minds". The guy carries that way and it does not look comfortable nor pratical...OMO...and no, I don't ever carry that way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry at the appendix position with my G23 all the time. I find it comfortable and I can draw quickly. And BTW, the Glock HAS a safety. If you don't pull the trigger the gun will not fire. I like to be able to draw quicker.

pax
    Because I am shaped like an hourglass, I find it horrendously uncomfortable to carry anywhere but appendix carry.

To each his own!

pax

PS to Jim - re the defensibility of a gun in appendix carry. Get on the mat and try it out. It's far more defensible than a gun on or behind the hip, because humans are designed to defend the front centerline.
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I am new to CC but I am leaning towards appendix. With my Glock 27 it just feels right. I feel no worries about printing. I can wear my normal large shirts. I do not feel uncomfortable in crowds, as I do not worry about people feeling the gun on my backside.
    I only get nervous when I read comments like the ones above, and I feel safe when my mind says"It will only fire if touch the trigger".

Well I wasn't saying that the Glock didn't have a safety just that it didn't have a manual safety and I guess I could have used traditional as a better word. I agree that your gun will only fire if something touches the trigger. The only thing that I'm saying is depending on the carry method and holster it can be possible for something else to touch the trigger. I understand that in a proper holster etc it should not be able to occur. IE that thread about the thunderwear clone and guy shot in the crotch. So all I'm saying is I like to have one additional lever that I have to toggle before the trigger can come into play. It's just one more *safety* in my opinion. And I'm also not advocating trusting a safety and doing something stupid/unsafe, I'm just saying I enjoy the extra comfort especially when it's pointed at my body:) Whichever part that may be;)

Luke

Also inflections are hard to read in text but this isn't intended to be any kind of attack etc, just my opinion.

When using my SmartCarry or my belly band thingy I pretty much appendix carry.

Like Pax said too if you have ever trained from flat on your back to get to your feet or something like that appendix carry is better than 4 o'clock. After doing a fight to your feet drill I have adjusted my carry from 4 o'lock to 3 o'lock.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links