How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon? - Page 2

How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?

This is a discussion on How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rico68 Practice, practice, practice; all aspects of the process. Taking the time to learn sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rico68 View Post
    Practice, practice, practice; all aspects of the process. Taking the time to learn sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control are great; but only half the equation in a defensive situation. You have to be able to draw and acquire the target also. The .22 will help, especially if you can get a conversion for your carry gun. Holster drills will help. I also shoot IDPA and IPSC competitions at local clubs to get some practical drills. I use my carry gun with my carry holster, etc. Am I competitive against the guys with "game gear?" No, not really. But I'm not there for the game, I'm there for the practice (and a lot of fun). I'd suggest finding a local club that runs matches, especially IDPA.
    +1 on the IDPA idea
    International Defensive Pistol Association
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Airsoft

There are some Airsoft guns out there that are copies of existing pistols- I have one in 1911 and one in Taurus Millenium. If you have something like that, you can use your normal carry rig, be safe, and even practice firing into an indoor target.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I practice drawing and dry firing about twice a week. Also use a 22 on the range for practice.

Just did it tonight in an IPSC match. I do it whenever I get a chance to shoot IPSC, IDPA and any other action pistol matches. My favorite event is a full day of IDPA where I can shoot the G26 at the stages in the morning from my IWB holster (kydex Inside Armor) and concealment, then shoot the same stages with my G34 and an OWB Blade Tech kydex holster. Some times the difference is hardly noticeable in my scores.

Some times prior to a match, I'll practice drawing and dry firing. In my book, any practice is better than simply standing there and punching holes in paper with a solid freestyle grip. If I can't draw and shoot, I'll test the limits with my strong hand only and my weak hand only for speed and accuracy.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

VIP Member
    Dry fire/presentation practice is an essential part of keeping my skills sharp!

Weapon is unloaded and ammo left in another room prior to practice drills.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Other than the matches I shoot, everytime I don my weapon/holster (daily), I practice the draw.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

No, I can't say I practice drawing with my carry weapon. I generally stick to crayons and colored pencils!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Absolutely! I usually practice drawing a few times as soon as I put my weapon on for the day. That way I'm sure my holster is firmly set where I want it and won't shift around, and nothing is in the way. No shirttail stuck in the holster, etc. I have had loose change somehow get into my holster before, could have been a bad thing if I hadn't found it when holstering an empty weapon. Just don't forget to load your gun with real ammo when you're finished practicing!
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    No, I can't say I practice drawing with my carry weapon. I generally stick to crayons and colored pencils!
    Heh. the instructor at my CCW class insisted that we "present" our weapons, we had no crayons so we could not "draw" them.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I have a complete "system" for carry. I belt carry 640 in winter, pocket carry 642 when wearing light clothing, practice with 317 in .22 in "Garage Range" between range sessions and practice drawing (from belt holster or pocket holster) with blue gun. I also use blue gun in self defense drills with my son, a martial artist. You have to practice a lot if you really want to be prepared for SD.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?
    I do. I try to practice every day or night if I can. At least a few times a week. And each time I do it, I draw from concealment 20 times of so. Keep me in practice and my motions fluid.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I try to dry fire practice at least every other day and I try to practice drawing from concealment at least once or twice a week. I often times go through the motions of the 5 steps of the draw as I dry fire practice too.

Happy Thanksgiving and Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

IMO snap caps are a good idea, not only for dry fire but for other drills involving the clearing of duds (TRB) and so on. Practice drawing to gain a better feel for muscle memory under duress because IMO it's essential for when you need the muzzle to hit the target and the your finger touches the trigger. (EMPTY GUN of course) NOTE: Slow is fast, when you are smooth and deliberate speed will follow with practice.

I personally don't fire a .22 for practice, I don't even own one, but I can see it for the cost effective side as well as the trigger control, and sight pickup gains. IMO most all SD shootings will not involve sighting in and the recoil isn't anything close to any of my carry guns, but I would like to have one for plinking just for fun. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

"I like pretty leather, but black plastic Blackhawk is better!"
    Quote--Leon Harrison

Practice, First do it dry and next do it on the range. Practice on the range, draw, see your target and fire. Keep shooting until you target cannot shoot back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links