How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon? - Page 3

How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?

This is a discussion on How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon? All of the time. Formal or informal. At home, or at the range. In competition, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?

How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?
    All of the time. Formal or informal. At home, or at the range. In competition, or in front of the mirror. Every day is pretty much practice for me.

So many times I couldn't even to begin to estimate; thousands and thousands of times. I can promise you this: At least once a week I practice drawing the gun you see as my avatar a hundred times from a shoulder rig, and some type of concealment holster depending on the time of year; I will practice straight up draws, dry firing, reloads and strong hand-weak hand transfers. This type of practice in my opinion is just as valuable as range time because it keeps you proficient in the mechanics of handling the weapon, which to me is the most important part of self-defense with a firearm, presenting the weapon and bringing it into the fight. If you can't get that done quickly enough you end up in a heap of trouble.

I have never worried about dry firing any of my carry guns either and have never used snap caps at all and it has never made any difference, even with my competition guns.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I dry fire at least twice a week. I don't usually use snap caps. I only have snap caps for my .40. They are good for clearing misfire when randomly put in the mags. I also use spent brass to create a jam to clear during live fire. Makes you clear your weapon randomly.

Practice the draw daily.

I agree with the posts about the snap caps, dry firing on some weapons can cause damage. Also a very good idea to keep snap caps and live ammo and mags separate to avoid any untoward incidents.

I do recommend that you practice the draw daily. You don't wear the same clothes every day (I hope ) so your draw will change daily. It is a good idea once you strap up to make sure the weapon is empty, then make sure the weapon is empty, and practice the draw a few times. Did I mention to make sure the weapon is empty? I can't tell you how many times that a shirt that works well with one pair of pants will not pair well with another pair of pants. Oh, and before you practice the draw, make sure the weapon is empty.

I shoot 2-3 times a week (retirement isn't all bad) and make a point of practicing with my EDC ( XD .45 Service) and both BUGS every time I shoot. I'm lucky enough to know the owners of a range and can draw and fire on the range. Nothing has improved my speed and accuracy more.
    Remember the story of the tourist in New York City who stopped a LEO to ask, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

The LEO replies, "Practice, Practice, Practice."
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

Why would you NOT practice!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Oh yea, this is my 500th post!! :-)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I realized pretty early that my daily 'draw' was at the end of the day, standing in front of the safe to put my EDC away for the night. My draw consisted of pulling the PPS out of the holster, standard shooting grip -- then instantly flipping the gun over, into an inverted position, to slip it into the rack w/in the safe.

I realized I was building TOTALLY the wrong muscle memory for a combat draw!! Like those policemen found dead after a shootout, clutching the spent brass they'd reflexively stopped to pick up *during* a fight.

Now, unless I'm standing around people chatting about guns, I ALWAYS pull the pistol from the holster and bring it up to firing position. THEN put it down on the counter, or into the safe, etc.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I was out shooting today doing that very thing with live rounds. I was practicing drawing and rapid fire.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Airsoft Option

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    There are some Airsoft guns out there that are copies of existing pistols- I have one in 1911 and one in Taurus Millenium. If you have something like that, you can use your normal carry rig, be safe, and even practice firing into an indoor target.
    Don't forget that airsoft replicas of your firearm are great options for practicing the mechanics of firearm self-defense not to mention that you can save a lot of money while increasing the opportunities for practicing. I swear by it.
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I have a complete "system" for carry. I belt carry 640 in winter, pocket carry 642 when wearing light clothing, practice with 317 in .22 in "Garage Range" between range sessions and practice drawing (from belt holster or pocket holster) with blue gun. I also use blue gun in self defense drills with my son, a martial artist. You have to practice a lot if you really want to be prepared for SD.

Great minds think alike! This ensemble is actually very close to mine (sans the blue). Already have a 642 variant & 640 with the 317 in the coin-flip. Say, what's with the apparent dark barrel on your 642? I have a similar color distortion with my all-black 642-P after cleaning with Gunzilla (yuk). Ironically, I tried those same Pachmayr grips on my 640 and sent them back. Too gummy and they caused my hand/gun alignment to pull to the right. Unbelievable how similar our taste is.

Oops! Almost forgot about the OP's topic. Yes, its wise to do all that you're doing.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Saber: Discoloration is due to lighting. 317 is essential for daily practice. I use CBs and a Champion bullet trap in the garage, Neighbors hear nothing (legal out here in the county anyways) and point of impact is same as carry ammo. I do some practice with good lighting and some in dim light every day.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Practice the draw. ABSOLUTELY!! Very important. I carry a gun for the purpose of defending my life, so I'd certainly better know how to get it out of my holster in the best possible manner. And a number of outfits make 22 automatics which closely resemble Glocks or 1911s. A conversion kit for my 19 or 23 is almost $400! That's more than a new .22 auto and almost as much as my Glock!

First, welcome from a fellow central Virginian.

There's always room for extra magazines. I use snap caps and dry fire practice, and I think both are very worthwhile. I think getting a .22 for practice is a good idea, a better idea if you can get a .22 in the same frame as your carry pistol. I do NOT like conversion kits - they seem to be problematic, in my experience, with frequent FTF and FTE. I've tried a couple, and found them more frustrating that useful. For general pistol practice of marksmanship and trigger control, something like a Buck Mark .22 is fine, IMO. For SD practice, as you imply, I think you want the same grip, the same functionality, the same sight picture, the same trigger as your carry pistol, so ideally, you want everything to be the same except the caliber. Now that SIG is making .22's in their classic frames, I intend to pick up a P226 .22, after I finish acquiring my long guns.

I'm going to blaspheme, here. I think that, sometimes, people suggest things in the name of gun safety that sound good in concept, but do not actually accomplish anything in practice. It's like when someone tells you what they do in a particular situation, when what they are actually telling you is what they think they would do in a situation they haven't actually experienced. Just my opinion, of course.

How does buying a magazine dedicated for solo dry fire practice, and marking it, to distinguish it from a live ammo magazine, make you safer? Painting the bottom orange doesn't make it safe. What makes it safe is your care in keeping your live ammo separate from your snaps, your care in loading your magazines, your care inspecting your magazines and ammo before you put them in your pistol, your care performing your chamber checks before commencing your practice or training. If you don't do your part, the orange paint is meaningless, and that means the orange paint is unnecessary for your solo work. You can just as easily load live ammo into your dry fire magazine, as you can load snaps into your live ammo magazines. You are the key to safety. At best, the orange paint provides a false sense of security, and you can't rely on it. Just as your pistol is always loaded, your dry fire magazine is like any other magazine, at all times. So, why shouldn't it be one of your regular, functional magazines?

Getting a dedicated magazine for dry fire and painting it isn't going to hurt anything. It's your money. I just don't think it accomplishes anything safety-wise that you don't bring to the table yourself. JMO, of course.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links