How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?

This is a discussion on How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've already got my CHP class scheduled, and already have the funds to buy a gun come the gunshow Dec 5th. So I will be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?

How many of you practice drawing with your carry weapon?

I've already got my CHP class scheduled, and already have the funds to buy a gun come the gunshow Dec 5th. So I will be carrying concealed in a few weeks.

So would it be worthwhile to buy an extra mag with some snap caps, and use that for dry fire practicing? I realize this could be done with a normal mag and snap caps, but in the interest of keeping being safe I think having a designated practice mag (Bottom painted orange to differentiate it from my others) would be a good idea. I have experience with firearms but have none drawing from a holster of any kind and acquiring a target. The class will probably cover this to an extent but perfect practice makes perfect no?

I already read the procedures for safe dry firing exercises at home, and figure it would be worthwhile. I was just curious as to what the more experienced carriers here would have to say on it before I make the purchase.

I was also thinking on getting a 22 pistol so I could buy a ton of ammo and get some good trigger time running exercises the next time I go to my friends land to plink/run drills with. Good idea or no? 22 ammo is super cheap compared to practicing exclusively with 9mm or 40cal.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I think the .22 to practice trigger control is a great idea! I'm not one to preach the advantages of snap caps, but I'm also not against them. I've simply never used them.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I think the .22 to practice trigger control is a great idea! I'm not one to preach the advantages of snap caps, but I'm also not against them. I've simply never used them.
    I only consider this because if I practice slingshot I heard a slingshot on an empty chamber causes damage to some guns.

Yes on both accounts. Classes vary in what they teach for CPL, CHP, or whatever your area calls it.
    First, dryfire exercises; Yes it is a good idea to practice drawing from your holster with your carry gun. PLEASE use snap caps and follow all the dryfire rules for this exercise. Holster 'drills' are an important part of muscle memory training. After enough repetitive actions, you won't have to think about that part anymore, it will just happen naturally; and if you have done it safely and correctly, it will happen that way.
    Second, .22 practice; Yes it is a good idea. Mostly for sight picture, and just shooting drills/practice. It's value is slightly diminished unless your .22 is the same as your daily carry, (.22 conversion for a Glock or 1911, or similar) because the grip angle, sight picture, natural point of aim, and controls will be different. Another words, it will not help in 'some' of the muscle memory areas.
    However, you sound like you are off to a good start. Ask questions. Practice. Ask more questions. Practice. Go to some good classes; and did I say practice?
    Getting your permit to carry is only the first step in becoming a trained sheepdog.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Machina View Post
    I only consider this because if I practice slingshot I heard a slingshot on an empty chamber causes damage to some guns.
    Sure, I've heard it can too. I've had guns where the manufacture said to use them and some said that I didn't need to. Like I said, I'm not for or against them...I just have no experience.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Snapping in does not hurt.

My first exposure to a 1911 was in the USMC.
    We put an expended .22 case in the mag to keep it from hitting the slide stop.
    Then we would snap in and another plt member would work the slide as if it fired. Then snap in again and so on.
    It must have worked because I shot expert on qual day
    So snap in unless you have much expierence with handguns.

Practice, practice, practice; all aspects of the process. Taking the time to learn sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control are great; but only half the equation in a defensive situation. You have to be able to draw and acquire the target also. The .22 will help, especially if you can get a conversion for your carry gun. Holster drills will help. I also shoot IDPA and IPSC competitions at local clubs to get some practical drills. I use my carry gun with my carry holster, etc. Am I competitive against the guys with "game gear?" No, not really. But I'm not there for the game, I'm there for the practice (and a lot of fun). I'd suggest finding a local club that runs matches, especially IDPA.

Living in the desert I have the chance to do it EACH time I go shooting. Roughly once every two weeks on average. I work on foot work, body position, grip, draw time, vocabulary, and multiple targets. Not doing so is irresponsible, since god forbid I am ever in a situation I WILL know what to do.

I practice drawing mine all the time. Dry draw and hot draw when shooting.

Stay armed...get training and practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

These posts are definitly interesting. For me, I've been going to the range for the past few years approximately 2x per month. I set up multiple targets (normally 3) and stand no farther than 15' from the farthest target. I then draw and fire two rounds rapidly into each target then reholster. I will normally expend a 50 count box of ammo per practice.

This training has helped me develop two things. A high level of comfort in carrying chambered and making a rapid draw and fire second nature on multiple targets.
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

Dry fire and practising your draw is always a good idea. Make sure when you are practising your draw you are doing it with your cover regular garment though.

Another posted mentioned IDPA. I'd second that.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cericko View Post
    These posts are definitly interesting. For me, I've been going to the range for the past few years approximately 2x per month. I set up multiple targets (normally 3) and stand no farther than 15' from the farthest target. I then draw and fire two rounds rapidly into each target then reholster. I will normally expend a 50 count box of ammo per practice. This training has helped me develop two things. A high level of comfort in carrying chambered and making a rapid draw and fire second nature on multiple targets.
    One suggestion I would add here, (not insinuating that you don't do this but it wasn't mentioned)
    DO NOT do the same thing every time you go to the range. The same target setup, round count, or routine can cause real problems if you find yourself in a real situation. The training sets your mind up to do those things instinctively, and you might not want to do exactly what you have ingrained into your mind. Those two shots on a target to the left or right just might be an innocent bystander.

There have been cases where LEO's have trained to draw, put two shots on target, and reholster, then do it again; then did just that in a real situation and not survive, because two shots did not stop the threat. Also, back in the revolver days the drill was to shoot dry, empty the casings into your hand, stow them, and then reload; in a notable shootout there was at least one LEO that died with casings in his hand. Better to train by dumping them on the ground. (I say same with empty magazines)

All good suggestions here though.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

The guy that taught me to lay block before when I was a kid had a saying when ever he saw me trying to go fast he’d tell me “You worry about doing it right, speed will come.”

I practice drawing and acquiring a target but I don’t practice speed draws. I worked as a security guard during college and the post I was assigned to was a one man post. So, I would practice drawing every night, slowly, correct position, correct sight picture, always at a controlled speed, always proper motion. I also practiced completing the draw even if I fumbled it (no do overs in a gun fight).

Long story short one night I was walking the fence line and something very big slammed into the fence right next to me. The only thing that separated us was the fence. The muscle memory paid off and I drew W/ out giving it conscious thought and was on target before what ever hit the fence had time to get up and run away. I am almost positive it was a deer but I didn’t know that when it hit the fence.

I do with a blue gun...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links