Texas Veteran ?

Texas Veteran ?

This is a discussion on Texas Veteran ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was wondering if you qualify for the 50% price reduction on a CHL for a general-under honorable conditions discharge? Wanted to verify before I send ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Veteran ?

Texas Veteran ?

Was wondering if you qualify for the 50% price reduction on a CHL for a general-under honorable conditions discharge? Wanted to verify before I send my packet off and have it get unnecessarily delayed for not sending in enough money. Anybody with any first hand experience on the matter would be appreciated. The only information I could personally find was Sec. 411.1951 which states"WAIVER OR REDUCTION OF FEES FOR MEMBERS OR VETERANS OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES. (a) In this section, "veteran" means a person who:

(1) has served in:

(A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States;

(B) the state military forces as defined by Section 431.001; or

(C) an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed forces; and

(2) has been honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served."
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

My guess is that it is for "Honorable" discharge ONLY...not a "General" under honorable.

Welcome to DC by the way....from South Carolina..
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I would agree with 1sgt that it is a General discharge that you say you have. There is a difference between the two. Best of luck, and welcome aboard..

EDIT: I'd say Pony up for the extra fees, and if you overpay; will they send the difference back to you? Just a thought also..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Just mark other in the proper question, and sent in a copy of your DD214 and the cost is 1/2 regular price.

QUOTE](A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States;[/QUOTE]

If you are going to use the "Marine Corps" in a sentence it should be capitalized [

Semper Fi.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I would call the DPS CHL office and ask them,I too have a general under honorable and believe it is an honorable discharge,It's not a bad conduct,undesirable,or dishonorable
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I too have a general under honorable and believe it is an honorable discharge
    If it's not an honorable discharge it's not an honorable discharge

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge

"In addition, service members are required to sign documents acknowledging that "substantial prejudice in civilian life" may be encountered under a general discharge.[1] Despite this, some personnel think because the discharge is described as general under honorable conditions, it is as good as or the same as an honorable discharge. Concerning VA disability and most other benefits that is true, however, a general discharge may preclude participation in the GI Bill, service on veteran's commissions, and other programs where a fully-honorable discharge is required."
    Pray for our nations leaders!

It is The United States Marine Corps.
    Semper Fi

Pardon my "noobiness" but would you define "CHL"?
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

VIP Member
    IIRC folks that fail a urinalysis are given an admin discharge that changed to a general under honorable conditions after six months. So...NO it is not the same as an honorable discharge.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I would call the DPS and ask them before sending in the application.

The way I read section 411.1951 it should read "Honorable" under type, but that is me, and I could be wrong.

The call is free and could save you a bunch of time and trouble.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    IIRC folks that fail a urinalysis are given an admin discharge that changed to a general under honorable conditions after six months. So...NO it is not the same as an honorable discharge.
    The question was never asked if it was the same, merely if sec. 411.1951 applies to both types of discharges. All sec 411.1951 criteria is doing is determining if your considered to be a veteran. I'm presuming it does apply to a general discharge on the reasoning that I receive Hazlewood Benefits by the state, and in order to get that you have to be a Texas veteran. So if the state will pay for 150 hours of tuition I don't know why they wouldn't give me a $70 discount.

Quote Originally Posted by jackg View Post
    Pardon my "noobiness" but would you define "CHL"?
    Concealed Handgun License
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I would call the DPS and ask them before sending in the application.

The way I read section 411.1951 it should read "Honorable" under type, but that is me, and I could be wrong.

The call is free and could save you a bunch of time and trouble.
    Haven't heard too much positive about trying to contact DPS. I'm sure i'll wait on hold for a long period of time and get contradicting answers to my question. Guess it's the only recourse I have unless I can find someone to chime in with 1st hand experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links