Good and Bad LEO stop in Kansas City yesterday! - Page 2

Good and Bad LEO stop in Kansas City yesterday!

This is a discussion on Good and Bad LEO stop in Kansas City yesterday! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by aric I would think the anti-gun LEO would be more likely to do it after he found out about the gun he ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good and Bad LEO stop in Kansas City yesterday!

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    I would think the anti-gun LEO would be more likely to do it after he found out about the gun he wasn't told about.
    My thought exactly!! If I was an LEO who was anti-gun and was not told that a person had a permit then found it upon running the DL (in KS DL# is one's CHL# and it does show on at least the KHP in-car computers) you would at minium have me on HIGH HIGH alert and had best at that point keep your hands on the wheel because you are now an unknown situation in my life. I have no idea where the gun is; on you? in reach? in you lap ready to put two to the chest and one to the head? See if it were me; I would have a plan to go home at the end of shift and you just became a reason I might not!

Now, telling me may or may not put me as an anti at ease; you may be removed from your car or your gun may go with me.

As it is I am neither anti-gun or an LEO so not worry about me!!

I answer the questions I'm asked. If you want to know if I'm armed, ask!

I would think the anti-gun LEO would be more likely to do it after he found out about the gun he wasn't told about.
    There is a possibility that the cop won’t become aware you’re armed tell him and you throw that possibility away

Unless you are absolutely positive that the CHL is not tied to you other info, it is best to tell.
    I’m absolutely positive

Don't understand the sarcasm directed at me.
    I’m not being sarcastic in the slightest where I’m at the information isn’t tied to my license. I don’t inform unless asked

you would at minium have me on HIGH HIGH alert and had best at that point keep your hands on the wheel because you are now an unknown situation in my life.
    Really? So, a private citizen who isn’t breaking any law, who’s proven to be so law abiding that they took a class, submitted their fingerprints, and went through a background check so that they could legally carry a fire arm would have you on “high alert”? In that case you’d better stay out of Wal Mart dude

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    Don't understand the sarcasm directed at me.
    Don't take it personally... just check that person's comments on any thread, you'll get the picture!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

In Colorado, its up to the issuing sheriff whether or not they want it to show up on a license check. My county sheriff does, and I know for a fact that it does show up because I've seen it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    When you get proned out by an anti gun cop let us know how that up-frontness works out for you
    Or when you're proned out by any cop who sees the gun, please do let us know.

But that is not what this thread is about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Chief justice......
    I would have done it the way you did period.. some of these guys can say or do what they want everyone has an opinion But i believe and its been my experience that one will have a better experience if they are up front. Those that choose not so be it,

Now I am not surprised that you still got a ticket in KC

In Missouri when a LEO runs your drivers license and let me tell you 95% chance that is going to happen, they are going to find out you are a CCW.

One can make pros and cons on it, but i think the stop will go a whole lot better if one is up front. At least here in Missouri.

resqr 9142: the seperate id, when you pull your drivers license out for an id at the store etc, your not broadcasting your a ccw. has nothing to do with keeping it from the LEO, they are going to know.

treo: There is a possibility that the cop won’t become aware you’re armed tell him and you throw that possibility away good luck on this one, cause the percentage is that he is going to run your license and he WILL know ( in missouri)
    a private citizen who isn’t breaking any law.. Hey he broke the law he was speeding.......

This is JMHO and experiences
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

I only expect cops to obey the law.

I don't expect "breaks" when I do something wrong.

If you don't want traffic tickets, obey the traffic laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    When you get proned out by an anti gun cop let us know how that up-frontness works out for you
    I have to inform here in Michigan, but would probably do it anyways. IF by some chance I get a nervous rookie or an anti CPL holder cop I'll just do what he ask. If I end up prone on the ground or cuffed, so be it. As long as I get my gun back when the stop is over and I don't end up being hauled into the station I figure it's a chance I take. From what I have seen of the police here in Michigan almost all of them are pro Concealed. Part of my CPL class was taught by State Police officers that were very pro carry. You could tell they were not just there for some extra overtime, or because their boss made them do it. They really wanted us all to do well and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I only expect cops to obey the law.

I don't expect "breaks" when I do something wrong.

If you don't want traffic tickets, obey the traffic laws.
    Wow, I must be missing something. I never said anywhere that I was looking for a break! When I stated it was a good/bad stop, it was done primarily as a joke, as I have a hard time saying it was great when I ended up with a ticket. Regardless of whether I deserved it. I never expected him to look the other way because I have a CCW. I don't know where I implied it but I am clarifying now that I was speeding and I got a ticket. I will pay it.

I will try to be a little more clear in the future. I'm not trying to get everybody riled up and I wasn't looking for lectures about speeding.

Bottom line, as I mentioned in my OP, the LEO was cool about the weapon and it wasn't an issue.

ChiefJustice,

Welcome to the forum and you keep on doing what you think is correct. In Texas we dont have that luxury. If you dont tell and the LEO finds out you have a CHL and are carrying, you can loose your CHL and other bad things can happen. I have been stopped three times since getting my CHL, 2 of them for mechanical issues (i.e. tail light out, headlight out, etc.) the other for rolling through a stop sign in an intersection in the middle of nowhere in east Texas with no traffic as far as the eye could see. All three LEO's thanked me for letting them know I had a CHL, they would have found out anyway, and that on two occassions I was carying on my person. The LEO's demeanor is definately different when they know you are a CHL holder in Texas. Much calmer and more reserved.....at least that is what I have experienced. I will "ALWAYS" hand them my DL with my CHL on top.

tex45acp
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    Wow, I must be missing something. I never said anywhere that I was looking for a break!
    I didn't say you did. I have seen other people however cite "getting out of" tickets as justification for notifying when it's not required.

I'm not one for made up "courtesies". If the law says I have to notify, I notify. Otherwise I wouldn't.

I expect, indeed DEMAND that the police obey the law. I can't hold myself to a lower standard than the one to which I hold them.

Everything should work out as long as everybody obeys the law. The cop has no reason to hassle me about traffic infractions if I don't commit any. I have no reason to go after the cop administratively or civilly if he obeys the laws regarding CCW and open carry. Trouble starts when people start making up their own rules outside of the law or expecting special treatment. I can't set my own speed limit or rules of the road. Neither can he make up firearms laws.

Obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Any time that you make a bike cop stop riding...you're getting a ticket.
    I got off of one by a local motorcycle cop. I was trying to pass someone and got tagged on his radar. He comes out from his shade tree and waves me over- CRAP. Answer his questions Yes sir, no sir and then as I was getting my license, reg, insurance out of my wallet he noticed my CCW license, which is right next to my DL and asked if I had any weapons with me. I said no, explain if I was I would have informed him immediately. He asked how my driving record is I tell him it's clean and he hands me back my stuff and tells me to slow it down.

Never say never but I think that was my once in a lifetime deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    I got off of one by a local motorcycle cop. I was trying to pass someone and got tagged on his radar. He comes out from his shade tree and waves me over- CRAP. Answer his questions Yes sir, no sir and then as I was getting my license, reg, insurance out of my wallet he noticed my CCW license, which is right next to my DL and asked if I had any weapons with me. I said no, explain if I was I would have informed him immediately. He asked how my driving record is I tell him it's clean and he hands me back my stuff and tells me to slow it down.

Never say never but I think that was my once in a lifetime deal.
    You should have purchased a lottery ticket that night.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links