Good and Bad LEO stop in Kansas City yesterday!

This is a discussion on Good and Bad LEO stop in Kansas City yesterday! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was GOOD because the LEO was very cool but BAD because he wasn't so cool that he decided to NOT give me a ticket! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It was GOOD because the LEO was very cool but BAD because he wasn't so cool that he decided to NOT give me a ticket!

I got pulled over on a busy bridge. As I got to an exit I pulled over. As he was getting off his bike I pulled out my wallet, DL, and CCW which in MO looks very similar to a DL. When he came to the window I handed him the DL and CCW. He asked if I had my gun. I told him it was in my console under my arm. He just said "Ok just don't get it out and wave it around or anything like that". I said no problem. He walked back to his bike and wrote me a ticket for 68 in a 55 and came back and handed everything back and told me to be safe.

No issue at all. Good stop!

VIP Member
    Bummer that you didn't get off with a warning but good CCW experience.

By the way, welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Are you legally required to inform? If not, why did you do so?

VIP Member
    good thats how it should be......except for your speeding
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Are you legally required to inform? If not, why did you do so?
    I have always been an up-front type of person, and I feel you're better off in doing so. Everybody is entitled to their opinions. I feel that if you tell the LEO up front, you demonstrate you are a responsible CCW carrier and you cooperate with the LEO's. I am only guessing that if he ran my license and found out I am a CCW holder, now he is wondering why I didn't tell him, if I getting it out, am I anti-LEO, will I be combative? Any number of things.

If, by telling him I have a CCW/gun, he decides to cuff me, draw his weapon on me, yell at me, detain me, etc. he could still do that later after he sees it on his computer anyway.

I feel that if you tell the LEO up front, you demonstrate you are a responsible CCW carrier and you cooperate with the LEO's
    When you get proned out by an anti gun cop let us know how that up-frontness works out for you

VIP Member
    Unless required by law or I did something really stupid, I don't inform. You may want to forego your next planned gun toy and visit the radardetector.net website. "...Could save you 15% or more on your car insurance"
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

"At nine you're fine, at 10 you're mine."

A lot of departments have an "unwritten" SOP that they won't write a ticket until you're doing 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. Not all of them of course, but I've heard this saying for years. And from two different departments mind you.

At 13 over, you're revenue.

But at least he was cool with you regarding your firearm and CCW. Lots of bad encounters posted on here about that. Stay safe!

Oh, and if you've got an iPhone, the Trapster app can be a very good thing to have. Just saying...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

When you get proned out by an anti gun cop let us know how that up-frontness works out for you
    I would think the anti-gun LEO would be more likely to do it after he found out about the gun he wasn't told about.

Sounds like a good stop all around,he didn't disarm you or prone you out and he gave you a ticket for excessive speed,good and good IMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Treo, what makes you think that if he was Anti, and apt to prone you out, the the officer would not come back after running your DL or LP and prone you out with a little more gusto.... Unless you are absolutely positive that the CHL is not tied to you other info, it is best to tell. If they are going to treat badly, don't you think it would be worst for you if they to find out otherwise.

I like my Harley, I like to ride bikes...so do motorcycle cops. Any time that you make a bike cop stop riding...you're getting a ticket.
    If you haven't had a ticket in a while, they have gone UP in price.

At least the cop didn't panic, cuff you, unload your gun...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't understand the sarcasm directed at me. You can disagree all you want. You're entitled to your opinion. I will ask you a question without the antagonism. If he is an anti-gun cop, he will see that I have a CCW when he runs my license. Don't you think he would ask me at that point if I had a gun? And if he did, I would have to say yes wouldn't I? And again I end up prone anyway right?

A police officer in Missouri does not obtain your CCW when he runs your license unless he has specific reason for doing this unreasonable search. And you are not required by law to inform said officer of your carrying unless you have reason to believe he is intending on searching your person or vehicle. Then you had best let him/her know that there is a weapon on you or in your vehicle. Remember, in MO we don't need a CCW permit to have a concealed weapon in the vehicle so his obtaining your CCW status is a moot point anyway.

I understand your willingness to be open and up-front about having your weapon and see nothing wrong with that choice at all. Personally I would rather not draw that attention to myself unless I was going to be the subject of a physical search. That's the reason we can obtain a Non-Drivers CCW permit. So we can show our DL without revealing our CCW permit status.

Just my .02
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

I can appreciate that. I was told by my CCW instructor that they saw your CCW when they ran your license. If not your way makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links