Encountered my first sign today

This is a discussion on Encountered my first sign today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I knew there was probably going to be one since I was going to a Social Security office. I had to take my mother to ...

I knew there was probably going to be one since I was going to a Social Security office. I had to take my mother to a disability hearing. I didn't want to leave my CCW in the car. But there was no sign on the building so I went in. Once we got to the office however the door was posted so I stayed out.

My mother told me that a woman came into the office right after I left. She had a pistol in her purse and all they did was lock it in a box for her at the security desk. So I could have gone in and waited. But there was really no point since I would have been just sitting in a waiting room for an hour. So I walked around and came back.

No big deal. Just thought it was interesting since it was my first sign experience. I also thought it was interesting that another CCW permit holder was in the area at the same time. I wanted to ask the guard how many CCWs he locks up during a week but he was busy when we were leaving.

They will provide a 'lock box'? Better than no gun to and from the parking lot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    No kidding, that seems kinda unusual that they would lock it up for you....but it's better than having to leave it in your car...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

That's awesome that they are willing to at least provide a lock box!

Hope all went well with you mother's meeting.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Lock box, great idea... because the nut job that shows up to shoot up the place will put his gun in the lock box too.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    The lock box idea is a good one...glad you kept safe and legal.

They provide similar in courthouses here in AZ, which is handy!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Lock box, great idea... because the nut job that shows up to shoot up the place will put his gun in the lock box too.
    And no doubt that if the SHTF, someone would be there calmly distributing weapons back to their proper owners. I would rather keep it on me and just wait outside.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    +1 i didnt know this either... i like having my gun back and forth in parking lot.. but it would be really nice to protect me if someone had come in upset with them ..
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Interesting.

The last time I went to the SS office here, I left my gun locked in the car, but didn't think of the Buck folding hunter on my belt (I tend to not think of it as a weapon). While I was sitting there I realized I had it and that they might consider it a weapon so checked with the guard. He seriously (IMO) overreacted and insisted on taking a picture of the knife, me and my DL before allowing me to take it to my car.

I remember Al Gore talking about that lock box.
    Certified Instructor, National Rifle Association
    Referral Attorney, National Rifle Association
    Referral Attorney & Second Amendment Attorney, Gun Owners of America

THIS POST IS FOR THE DISCUSSION OF LEGAL ISSUES ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS INTENDED OR IMPLIED.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Interesting.

The last time I went to the SS office here, I left my gun locked in the car, but didn't think of the Buck folding hunter on my belt (I tend to not think of it as a weapon). While I was sitting there I realized I had it and that they might consider it a weapon so checked with the guard. He seriously (IMO) overreacted and insisted on taking a picture of the knife, me and my DL before allowing me to take it to my car.
    At this office the guard had a wand metal detector and he was checking everyone who came in.

The sign on the door said "NO guns, knives, pepper spray, or sharp objects" It also said that all cell phones had to be turned off and all metal items had to be placed in the basket while you were searched with the metal detector....

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yeah I didn't expect that either. But I guess that is better than leaving it in the car. Especially since the building itself is not marked (there are several businesses in the building) so it was OK to carry from car to building and inside........I still don't think I would have locked my gun up in the box unless I HAD to go inside.

The SS office was up on the 5th floor and the only place marked was the door to the office.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    forgive me for my ignorance but isnt the ss administration a federal office?...if indeed then there is no need for a sign?...

Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    That's awesome that they are willing to at least provide a lock box!

Hope all went well with you mother's meeting.
    Thanks her meeting went pretty good. They've been screwing her on this since 2003 and the State of NY said she was lying. They were trying to say that she didn't apply until 2007 and that all her benefits had run out because it had been too long since she worked full time......

But at the hearing she was able to produce paperwork from that very SS office back in 2003 when she first applied..... They had no leg to stand on after that.....She said the judge was stunned that the office had been so irresponsible on the matter.

So hopefully she will get all the back money she is owed from 2003 up until now. But chances are she won't get it all.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    forgive me for my ignorance but isnt the ss administration a federal office?...if indeed then there is no need for a sign?...
    It did have the Federal Seal on the office so yeah I assume it is. But maybe the states have control over the signage? Dunno but it was most definitely marked in blatant fashion.....

Links