North Carolina Raleigh/Durham Airport - Page 2

North Carolina Raleigh/Durham Airport

This is a discussion on North Carolina Raleigh/Durham Airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gary Slider is obviously going to be one of the most knowledgeable people on this subject. I know that carry is prohibited on Douglas (Charlotte) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    Gary Slider is obviously going to be one of the most knowledgeable people on this subject.

I know that carry is prohibited on Douglas (Charlotte) airport property. Can't say for sure about Raleigh/Durham.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    I have searched for over an hour and can't find the Ordinances for Raleigh Durham Airport. I did find their Chapter 13 which covers Transportation at the airport but I believe they don't have the ordinances online. Other posters have stated that RD Airport is owned by the counties or cities around it. If so it would be city or county government property. The Preemption law covering firearms is below along with a link to the NC Statutes.

If RD Airport is owned by the local government they can ban firearms from all the property including the parking lots. But the preemption law specifically states they can not ban the storage of firearms in a vehicle parked on their property. Does that mean I can have it loaded while entering the airport parking lot then store it once I am parked? I would think not. It would have to be stored before entering their property.

It has been stated they have signs posted before entering the airport property saying no firearms, then carrying a firearm loaded would most likely be a violation of their ordinances. If they have signs they most likely have an ordinance.

14-409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation. (General Law)
    North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes Table of Contents

(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A-129, 160A-189, 14-269, 14-269.2, 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, 14-415.11, 14-415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public-owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

From RDU's website:

About The RDU Airport Authority
    Raleigh-Durham International Airport is governed by the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority, an eight-member board. The cities of Durham and Raleigh and the counties of Durham and Wake appoint two members each to the Authority board of directors. The Airport Authority is a governmental body responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the airport.

Raleigh-Durham International Airport
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Smile

Having directly asked that question to RDU police I can tell you that the overall question is no. It is technically illegal to carry a firearm on any airport property. I don't think that they can bother you if you are following federal transportation guidelines for transporting a firearm (gun in lock box in trunk ammo somewhere else).

Armydad

My wife, who used to live in NC, says she's seen online where Durham has enacted a total ban on concealed weapons. You might want to check with the local authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    My wife, who used to live in NC, says she's seen online where Durham has enacted a total ban on concealed weapons. You might want to check with the local authorities.
    They did that for the Town of Cary as well, but I have been told they cannot enforce it as your county-issued CHP cannot be indiscriminately overridden for an entire town by the local yokels.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    They did that for the Town of Cary as well, but I have been told they cannot enforce it as your county-issued CHP cannot be indiscriminately overridden for an entire town by the local yokels.
    NC has total preemption on CC except for buildings and parks. It's amazing how much airplay this gets and one strategically placed email made the worst part go away. Cary used to say on their town site that CC on sidewalks was prohibited. I sent the guy a very nice email and they have since taken the sidewalk restriction off the town site. Discussion here.

Firearms Laws Listed on Town of Cary Website - North Carolina - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

New Cary code on OC and CC.
    "The Town of Cary does not allow the open or concealed carry of a weapon while on any public property within our community including on greenways, in public parks or Town facilities, or in Town-owned parking lots. The ordinance does not allow the open carry of any firearm on public sidewalks or right-of-ways. See Section 22-51(a) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances."

Firearms within the Town of Cary

This is what keeps the anti's in check as far as CC, OC is a different beast.

4‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.
    It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)

IANAL, but I would also argue that the state exemption and uniformity applies to loaded firearms inside the vehicle. If you step one foot on the pavement and are armed then you break the law, IMO. If what Landric says is correct they fall directly under the uniformity and exemption codes, they seem to apply to buildings and being physically on the property outside of a vehicle. In the end, it's your time and money on the line if that's not the case. So proceed however you are most comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Ask a lawyer who is knowledgeable on NC firearms laws.

Do NOT ask cops.
    Do NOT ask airport employees.
    Do NOT ask TSA.

None of these people make it their business to know the full extent of the laws involved. There are PLENTY of cops who are woefully unfamiliar with firearms laws. In Washington state you can carry anywhere in the airport outside the security checkpoints. Airports are NOT federal property, although certain areas and activities are subject to federal laws.

Ask a lawyer, ask a lawyer, ask a lawyer.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I was there just a few days ago. The "No Firearms" sign is right there as you drive on to the airport.

As to whether it applies to someone just dropping off or picking up, especially if you're not getting out of your car, I will leave for you to clarify with your own attorney.

Technically legal to carry on premise, but their are HUGE signs saying that would prefer you to keep your firearms at home. RDU is governed by RDU authorities, which also means the chances of someone understand the law and applying it correctly are slim to none. The obvious question is.. what about when I carry on a airplane... the answer is you need to have intent from the moment you leave your car. That means ammo separated and firearm locked.
    NC has some strange, strange laws. This is one of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links