North Carolina Raleigh/Durham Airport

This is a discussion on North Carolina Raleigh/Durham Airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if you can CC in Raleigh/Durham Airport if you are there to pick someone up and are NOT going through security?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Raleigh/Durham Airport

Does anyone know if you can CC in Raleigh/Durham Airport if you are there to pick someone up and are NOT going through security?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This question has bugged me as well. I posted this issue when I first joined up here at DC, and there was no definitive answer. As you are aware, they have a large "No Guns" sign at the entrance to the airport. Those of us in NC don't have the luxury of ignoring these types of signs.

I am assuming they mean on all airport property - including pick-up and drop-off areas. However, I am not sure exactly what the sign means, nor am I sure that locking it in my COM car safe is adequate. If you get pulled over on airport property, you will need to inform the LEO of your status and it will show up on the LEO's screen when he runs your license. It could be dicey if you are totin' your Roscoe in any manner.
    Last edited by MadMac; November 25th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

VIP Member
    The only signs I have seen posted are at the terminal entrances, I have not seen any in the parking areas. I normally stop and disarm and secure my weapon before entering airport property and don’t rearm until off their property. I don’t like it but RDU does fall under Durham’s jurisdiction and they are their own little fiefdom where it comes to firearms.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That is all I needed to know. So park, secure it in the vehice and re-arm when leaving.

Last time I was there I didn't see any signs at all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    That is all I needed to know. So park, secure it in the vehice and re-arm when leaving.

Last time I was there I didn't see any signs at all.
    Check for the sign after passing the new Sheetz gas station and just before you see the big 'RDU International' sign.

It's not just the terminals, but appears to apply to all airport property.

Plus, I'd be careful taking legal advice from all these internet lawyers (like me). Know the law yourself. If a LEO snags you and you end up needing to defend your interpretation of the law in court to keep your CHP, you don't have a strong case saying some random guy on the internet told you it was OK.

Although I am not 100% I would say carry a CCW on Airport property is prohibited. As a professional in the air transportation business, airport operations are governed by Federal Law. And as such, taboo to carry a CCW.

To think on the side of Conservatism and Common Sense will get you out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Although I am not 100% I would say carry a CCW on Airport property is prohibited. As a professional in the air transportation business, airport operations are governed by Federal Law. And as such, taboo to carry a CCW.

To think on the side of Conservatism and Common Sense will get you out of trouble.
    Good point, but some states like Utah actually spell it out for you - conceald carry is legal on airport property as long as you are outside TSA secure areas. I appreciate that. RDU is dodgy, and I suspect they mean it's a mini-Chicago.

Thanks for the Utah example. I never would have known! When it comes to Federal property, one can't help but to have their guard up.

Stay safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

FWIW and IANAL bla, bla. NC recognizes that you can be armed in the vehicle in the parking lot of state and local buildings. You cannot be armed in the building and sometimes a nono to step out of the vehicle armed and stand in the parking lot. Fed property is hit or miss, parks for example allow you to unload and lock them up. How you interpret this is up to you and dependent on who actually controls the property. If it is under local or state control, the parking area anyway, then this should apply.

ß 14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.
    (f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

Entire code here.

GS_14-409.40

Ive worked at that airport as an aircraft Mechanic for 11 yrs or more stopped counting and no you cant carry its federal property big signs you cant miss coming in but do people I suppose as long as you dont get caught but why chance it ! your not driving into Durham..lol just lock it in glove box if you feel the need...
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    I know of no airport that has commercial traffic that is owned by the federal government. They are owned by cities, counties, states, private interprises etc. Federal Law only applies at and beyond the security check points. Some states do have regulations on airports that override local laws. Some don't. Some airports are totally off limits even the parking areas depending on who owns the airport and their regulations. State Law can take preference in some states. It is a very gray area in many locals. Pittsburgh airport authority had a regulations about firearms on airport property but PA has a preemption law. A man was arrested for having a firearm in his vehicle at Pittsburgh Airport. He was charged and the judge threw it out as the state preemption law overrode it. The DA for Allegheny County stated that the Airport authority reg was unenforcable. But this guy had to most likely hire an attorney etc so use caution on any airport property unless the state laws specifically spell it out. This is one area that it very difficult to find out info about. Handgunlaw.us is trying, but getting truthful answers are very difficult to get and most don't want to even talk about airports and firearms. If you go to Handgunlaw.us and click on the state on the main page map that states page will open. If you scroll to the bottom of that state page there is the info I have found for that state. Most likely it is not all the info that should be there but that is all I can find.
    Last edited by Gary Slider; November 25th, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post

In Michigan it is legal to carry concealed in airport terminals up to the "Secure" or as I think the law words it "Sterile" area. In other words you can carry up to the Security check point but not beyond. Makes sense since your not going to get past the metal detector unless it's malfunctioning.

I you do not want to disarm, have the arriving party meet you at the curb.
    If you are going to enter the airport, leave your gun in the car.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

No you can not carry on airport property. You will be thrown in jail and never seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The only signs I have seen posted are at the terminal entrances, I have not seen any in the parking areas. I normally stop and disarm and secure my weapon before entering airport property and donít rearm until off their property. I donít like it but RDU does fall under Durhamís jurisdiction and they are their own little fiefdom where it comes to firearms.
    Actually, the airport is in Wake County, and the airport its self is a municipality and they have their own police. In the event of police involvement it will be RDU PD, not Durham PD, Durham SO, Raleigh PD, Morrisville PD, Wake SO, etc. that responds unless they ask for assistance.

Given that the Airport is a municipality, they have the authority to ban firearms from their property. Since the whole airport is their property, with the possible exception of the roadways, it is likely that the signs (and all roadways going in are posted) apply to the entire property.

However, its legal to enter RDU with a firearm in checked baggage and check it, so how they apply the sign and under what circumstances is open to question. In any event I wouldn't chance carrying into an airport building unless you are exempt from state law and/or federal law for the part of the building you will be in.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links