Why carry spare ammo? - Page 2

Why carry spare ammo?

This is a discussion on Why carry spare ammo? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had MANY of the welded base plates come apart over the years. Wilson Combat, McCormick, etc are your best bet. But like everyone ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have had MANY of the welded base plates come apart over the years. Wilson Combat, McCormick, etc are your best bet. But like everyone else has said CARRY BACK-UP
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    That's why I always carry a spare mag.... Most malfunctions seem to be mag related....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Most of the malfunctions I have experienced with autoloaders have been the fault of the magazine. That's the real reason I carry extra mags.

Two mags for my LCP and one for my G36, my EDCs. I never leave home without um.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I carry two spares usually for my 7RD 1911. What if you meet more than eight bad guys. Are you going to say sorry I'm out of rounds guess you'll have to throw the Kimber at them, or call timeout.

A magazine is a part of the pistol...parts can fail...carry more than 1.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by JAG45 View Post
    Yesterday I was getting ready to leave the house and started to run a check on my little Colt carry pistol. I hit the mag release and buddy the mag released. As the mag started out of the pistol the floor plate came loose and it spilled it guts out very forcefully. The floor plate put a nice little gash in my off hand. So if I had not done this and had needed help from my friend, the very next bump and I would be standing there with gun in my hand that, could of, or just fired one round and a big pile of shells, spring, follower, and floor plate at my feet.

Carry a spare mag. Oh, by the way the magazine was a colt and all four of the little tack welds said goodbye.
    One word...revolver ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JAG45 View Post
    As the mag started out of the pistol the floor plate came loose and it spilled it guts out very forcefully. The floor plate put a nice little gash in my off hand. So if I had not done this and had needed help from my friend, the very next bump and I would be standing there with gun in my hand that, could of, or just fired one round and a big pile of shells, spring, follower, and floor plate at my feet.

This is exactly why I carry a spare mag...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Jeff Cooper (RIP) on the suject of extra mags.

"It's unfasionable to walk arround with a partialy loaded gun"

Besides that, the tactical reload is your friend.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Good thread

I only carry one mag as I have never had a mag failure.

But now after reading about all your accounts.... I think its time I start carrying at least one spare.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

I've been a big fan of extra mags for a while now. But, I'm curious, are the mags that you've seen "blow up," comp mags that get ejected to the ground or even stepped on? Or are they "walking around mags" for EDC?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Since I started working with leather,for a coupla bucks in leather I can make single mag holders for all my carry guns and usually carry at least 2 spare mags on me
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

And I am probably the only one here who is more likely to have a spare mag failure than primary. Crawling around in the dirt 12 hours a day has a tendency to get grit in places you just as soon not get it.

Every weekend (or twice a week depending on the conditions I am working in) I have to unload my spare and clean. Disturbing to have the first round come out, and the other 12 stay right where they were.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    because the only time you can have too much ammo is when youre swimming or on fire...
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Excellent advice, I have believed for sometime that a spare magazine is as much about extra ammunition as it is about having back up in case of a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    A magazine is a part of the pistol...parts can fail...carry more than 1.

YEP^^^^^^^

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If it's not a wheel gun carry another magazine...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links