KY carry question please

This is a discussion on KY carry question please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have looked at Handgun Law sight, the KY statutes, etc, and I must not be looking in the right place. I am middle aged ...

Thread: KY carry question please

KY carry question please

I have looked at Handgun Law sight, the KY statutes, etc, and I must not be looking in the right place.

I am middle aged female Ohio CCW holder. My 84 yr old Mom, my mobility service dog, and I will be going down a few miles south of Cinci into KY to visit a cousin for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It will be a 3 plus hour drive each way, with us returning after dark. I would like to carry.

I remember from my class that my instructor said if I follow Ohio rules in KY I would be good to go... but I want to be sure, as this will be my first out-of-state trip carrying.

I normally carry my S&W 649, stainless, 357, 2-1/8" revolver, Crimson Trace grips, with Federal Premium Low Recoil "Personal Defense" 38 special 110 grain hydrashock jhp, in an HBE OWB holster and HBE belt. Since it is such a long drive, I was considering the dreaded purse carry in a Desantis pocket holster for the way home. I don't normally purse carry, but would like to know if this is a legal option.

Questions -

I see that in KY you don't **have** to inform if stopped. Correct?

What I did not see anywhere is the legal way to carry concealed in a car. I saw the way to carry concealed if you do NOT have a CCW, but could not find it if you DO have one.

Is it legal to leave it in the car in the console or glovebox when I am at my cousins house? I probably won't do that, but just in case? Does it matter if it is a glove box or the console? I noticed it specified glove box for people withOUT a license.

Is there anything about my revolver, ammo, or carry methods that will get me into problems in KY?

Or, can you point me to the site that will give me the info? I was drawing a blank finding the info.

Thanks so much! Sorry for asking so late. I thought I would have no problem finding the info through Handgun law site on here.

We will only be in KY for the afternoon and evening but I want to be sure I am legal -- and safe in Ohio on the way home.

PrimalScream

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    You're good to go in KY. They honor all other states permits. Also don't forget they are an open carry state so carry in your car is legal w/o a permit as long as it's visable and/or in a glovebox or console. Kentucky is a very Pro-2A state, so you should have no need to worry. If you have a CCL, you may carry any way you'd like in the car.

Ohio license is good in Ky. Ky is also an open carry state. You may NOT carry a pistol in your console/armrest. It must be in your glove box only. This was settled in Ky court just recently. It makes no sense to me, but as I read it, this is the law. Of course you can have the weapon on your person in the car. Ky has been a pro-gun rights commonwealth for some time, often in spite of some liberal governors. You should not have any difficulty. A sight which might be helpful is KC3--Kentucky coalition to carry concealed. <amy of your questions should be answered there. Have a good Thanksgiving.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Legal in ohio, legal in ky.

In Kentucky, if you have a concealed carry permit, you CAN carry anywhere in the car you like.Glove box only is for no permit.

Come on down neighbor and feel the freedom of a free state!
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Look here...enjoy the trip!

Kentucky Concealed Carry Permit Information
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

KY also has the 51% rule for est. serving alcohol. So it is actualy better than OH.

By all means, carry! You're good to go in Kentucky!

Your Ohio CCW permit is honored in KY and several other states:
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2344/ohiomapt.gif

(you can create the map at Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map -- good to keep in your wallet next to CCW for future travels. Just check periodically for updates).

One thing your instructor stated that is false: while in KY you must obey Kentucky CCW laws, not Ohio's. This is true for any state that you may travel in. Some states allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, some don't. Kentucky allows this, but North Carolina does not. So if I travel to NC I cannot carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, even though that would be allowed in KY. You can read about the laws for each state at Handgunlaw.us You will find that KY laws are more lenient than Ohio's (or most other states for that matter). It's a great state in which to carry :)

With a CCW permit you can carry anywhere in your car, the restriction of glovebox only apply to those without a permit. Purse carry is also fine (though I recommend on-body carry since the purse is often the first thing a bad guy will go for).

You can leave your gun anywhere in your car you wish, though obviously locked up is the better option.

You do not have to inform of CCW if stopped in Kentucky. Just make sure the officer is not "surprised" by seeing a gun.

There is nothing about revolver, ammo, or carry methods that you have to worry about in KY. It is one of the most gun-friendly states (even more so than Texas, since we have open carry). If you have a CCW permit, you can carry just about anything short of a ballistic missile.

Here are the few restrictions in KY for CCW:
    Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

Once you travel back north to Ohio, remember to do whatever is required as far as carry under Ohio law.

Enjoy your stay!

A couple of points I should add:

1) Your CCW instructor may have meant that if you obeyed the more restrictive state's laws (in this case, Ohio) you would be legal. And that is true. I originally took it to mean that he said Ohio CCW laws apply in KY, which is not the case. Your instructor might have meant it that way, so my statement that it was wrong on his part may have been overtstated. Hope that makes sense....

2) If you're looking under Kentucky statutes and such for *permission* to carry revolvers and certain ammo, you won't find it. The laws are written to only list the few restrictions, not the other way around.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. I don't always check back on old forum threads. Lots of other KY natives on this forum as well.

You don't have to inform an officer that you're carrying a weapon, but I think I would. It just might buy you a little good will..........

You shouldn't have to worry about glove compartment concealment or really any in car hidey spots as long as you have a permit. Pro2a stated correctly that the law for the glove box only applies to non-CCW holders.

There are a couple technical things to that law though. The first is that the glovebox must be the one installed into your car with no modification.

The second is sort of legal annoyance and bad interpretation of the law. My instructor informed me that some judges are accepting the argument that if your vehical's manual calls the Glove box anything but a Glove box it isn't one. It's probably another good reason to get your permit if you don't have one already.

Thanks to everyone!!!

I must have been having a problem finding the restrictions because there are so few! I was expecting to find pages, like Ohio has.

KY is the only state I travel to, and that is only once or twice a year. In our class, they briefly went over the states surrounding Ohio. And, yes, what the instructor meant, and what I didn't say very well, was that with Ohio being one of the most restrictive states, if you follow the Ohio restrictions when you travel in other states, as if you were in Ohio, generally you won't get into trouble in other states, but he did say to always check the laws before travel. Not that KY would accept Ohio's laws, only that they accept Ohio's permits.

I love Kentucky. Besides my cousin, I have good friends in Paris, KY that I visit and I have become pretty familiar with the area. I've always dreamed of moving to KY after retirement.

I'll feel much better with, as my elderly Mom puts it "my little friend", LOL, on my hip for the trip. My Mom feels much safer now that I have my license too. An old lady like her -- and I am over 50 with a bad limp - we are sitting ducks. Talk about looking like an opportunity to a bad guy. Not quite as bad since I have the dog with me most of the time now, but still... that Smith is a great equalizer. I carry almost everywhere now, and I feel odd without it.

Thanks again everyone, and have a great Thanksgiving.

Links