Good encounter with officers

This is a discussion on Good encounter with officers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day my wife and I were helping move my sister-in law out of a bad situation she was living in. Long story short ...

The other day my wife and I were helping move my sister-in law out of a bad situation she was living in. Long story short she was living with a "friend" and her husband who were taking advantage of her financially and emotionally. My sister-in law no longer felt safe so my wife and I decided to call the local sheriff department to accompany us with a "watch and protect order". Three very sharp deputies showed up, we explained the situation to them and headed over to the apartment. When we were in the apartment parking lot I pulled the ranking deputy aside and said "I have a concealed carry licence and am carrying now, do I need to disarm before we go in?" I figured that they would want to know such a thing before going into a potentially dangerous situation.

I was surprised with the deputy's response when he got a big smile and said "NO WAY man you're good, we appreciate you telling us though!"

Everything ended up fine, no problems but I was very impressed with the way the Jeffco Sheriff handled it.
    "The sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up."

Glad it worked out!

VIP Member
    It doesn't surprise me...You were there to help make things safer, just like they were...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

GREAT! Glad everything worked out and I pray that everything works out for your sister in law.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

mkh
    I love the deputy's response.

Now that was a 'great' response...hope your sister-in-law finds a better situation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Thanks first and foremost, James, for being willing to step in there and help your sister-in-law get out of a bad situation.

I also think that if it was as bad as it seems that you were very wise to ask for sheriff assistance. Going in there alone, thinking you and your firearm would be enough, is sometimes the worst thing to do. So great SA for calling in backup.

Glad you got a good response from the deputy too!

Happy thanksgiving.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I love the deputy's response.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now that was a 'great' response...hope your sister-in-law finds a better situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    GREAT! Glad everything worked out and I pray that everything works out for your sister in law.
    ~Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Thanks first and foremost, James, for being willing to step in there and help your sister-in-law get out of a bad situation.

I also think that if it was as bad as it seems that you were very wise to ask for sheriff assistance. Going in there alone, thinking you and your firearm would be enough, is sometimes the worst thing to do. So great SA for calling in backup.

Glad you got a good response from the deputy too!

Happy thanksgiving.

YEP^^^^^^^^^

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Oh yah.
    I really do love living here in Colorado!

Hope your sister-in-law is doing good now.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I talk to a lot of LEO's in Colorado, I am trying to become one. I haven't met one who's against CCW...yet. I haven't had the chance to talk to any administration about it.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Some LEOs welcome the additional firepower in case the brown hits the fan. Citizens used to provide this service more often (in my neighborhood) than they do now. Of course LEOs used to have a better sense of who they could trust. That LEO got good vibes from you, or at least he knew he couldn't disarm you. Still, he had to keep in mind that you were armed, and that was one more thing to keep at the forefront of his mind in case things went downhill.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    I wish more LEO's would adopt that same attitude.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Love it.

Some do get it -- maybe most do.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links