My first CC day...

This is a discussion on My first CC day... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, since I've been reading, reading, reading, and reading some more on carry (CC and OC) and since I finally obtained my CPL a few ...

Thread: My first CC day...

My first CC day...

Well, since I've been reading, reading, reading, and reading some more on carry (CC and OC) and since I finally obtained my CPL a few days ago I decided to go for a CC venture this morning with my new SIG SP2022 and a Galco IWB holster. For now I decided not to chamber a round but the magazine had ten ready to go if a SD situation happened to arise.

I travelled to Bellingham and went to the downtown Woods Coffee, a small and IMO outstanding local chain of coffee houses and ordered my usual 24-ounce six-shot latte. Sat down and fired up my laptop PC to take advantage of the free Wi-Fi there, and sat for about an hour or so surfing the 'net. After that I decided to take a walk around downtown which was quite deserted because of the holiday. Hopped back in my car and came home.

Uneventful. However, the experience made me take notice of several things-

1) my "nervousness" from being unable to adequately defend myself was replaced with a heightened awareness of my surroundings coupled with reassurance;

2) it reinforced the fact that carrying is a ***BIG*** responsibility which must never be taken lightly; and

3) I think I will carry whenever and wherever I can.

As I mentioned, I have done much reading and the one book which I found to be a real gold mine of information was "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" by Massad Ayoob. A comment I left under a YouTube video was that- "...when it comes to proper handling of handguns, Mr. Ayoob is a walking Library of Congress..." and I believe that even more now. Two things which immediately come to mind are the suggestion that if you need to hitch up your pants due to the weight of the firearm, do so from the front so you don't place your hands near your firearm (I made use of this tip at least once today), and the suggestion to pretend you are stretching your back while reorienting your firearm with your arm, NOT your hand (I did this several times). This book should be required reading IMO for anyone who carries, period.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear you joined the carry world. And yes it does tend to change your mindset for the better. Carrying a firearm comes with a huge responsibility and I have noticed sometimes carrying changes the people carrying for the better.

Oh and just a suggestion....you should carry with one in the pipe and ready to go. I know it can be kind of nerve racking at first. But if a time comes where you should need your firearm you probably will already be behind the curve so having to rack the slide might get you in even more trouble.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Glad to hear you joined the carry world. And yes it does tend to change your mindset for the better. Carrying a firearm comes with a huge responsibility and I have noticed sometimes carrying changes the people carrying for the better.

Oh and just a suggestion....you should carry with one in the pipe and ready to go. I know it can be kind of nerve racking at first. But if a time comes where you should need your firearm you probably will already be behind the curve so having to rack the slide might get you in even more trouble.
    +1 Also safely practice drawing your firearm from concealment and acquiring the target. This is important so if the need should arise it happens from memory without thinking about it.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post

I most certainly plan on carrying one in the chamber as well- a semi-auto is a brand new thing to me, being mainly a wheelgun type of person. I just wasn't 100% comfortable doing so my first time out. Thank you for the encouragement to do so.
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

That's a good start and I'm glad that you understand the level of responsibility that goes along with carrying a firearm.

I would also suggest that you carry chambered with a full magazine. As long as you practice proper firearm safety there should be nothing to worry about.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Congrats on that new permit...now take a course or two ASAP, practice the effective use of that new 'tool'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new permit...Good start to carrying... take a class or two.. or try some IDPA shooting to become more proficient...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Did you notice everyone was looking at you/

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Did you notice everyone was looking at you/
    Nope, hardly anyone looked at me- I'm nothing to look at to begin with, and when they do they tend to run to the bathroom very quickly while covering their mouth (I have yet to figure that one out). Besides, as a surveyor by trade I tend to carry many pounds of accessories with me. My personal jacket is no exception; it currently has:

- HP50G calculator (which is fairly large but also very powerful);
    - digital camera;
    - binoculars;
    - GPS unit (Garmin GPS76); and
    - computer glasses; and
    - anti-cough drops along with a couple of other minor items.

This tends to make my jacket a bit bulky to begin with. So I doubt any one took notice. Additionally, I am not unfamiliar to the vast majority of the truly outstanding baristas at The Woods Coffee.

Carrying will soon become second nature to you. For me it has become like putting on my shoes, I feel very barefooted with out my CC.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Congrats on the new permit and first carry. As others have said, put one in the pipe! If you need to use your gun for self defense, you may not have time to rack the slide. And one of the best things to do is take a couple of advanced concealed carry/defensive shooting classes. They will greatly enhance your knowledge of tactics, situational awareness, comfort and confidence in carrying. Then practice, practice, practice.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Congrats...looks like you have researched and have the desire to be a safe and responsible handgun carrier.

Other members have offered lots of good suggestions...like carrying with a chambered round. It also sounds like you may need a good supportive gun belt which may eleminate your need to adjust your pants.
    Proud NRA member

congrats and welcome from Michigan

This forum here is full of friendly knowledgable people that will help you get more comfortable with concealed carry.

I know what you mean about the act of carrying causing you to be more alert. I find that is true for me too. I also find that my posture and projected image appear, at least in my mind to improve. As I posted in another thread I actually think this is a plus on several levels. One, better posture, caused by the feel of the gun in you ribs keeps you from slouching, better for your back. And two, the more positive posture may even make you look like less of a target to bg's.
    I can't prove the second, but I definately feel I do walk taller with the gun in the holster and me SA seems heightned.

Now that you have the first day in, it's time to put one in the pipe and head to Walmart for your official Wally World Walk. If your not familar with the process you can search here.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ally-walk.html
    Last edited by TedBeau; November 27th, 2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added walmart trip suggestion

Thank y'all for the support and encouragement, it is much appreciated.

I was well aware at the time of the fact that not carrying one in the pipe is a disadvantage- what would happen if I suddenly only had one mobile arm and hand? I would be unable to rack the slide, at least not quickly and conveniently. Not good when microseconds count.

The only reason I did not do so this time is because I am still acclimating to my new piece- it has no safeties but it does have a decocking lever. I think it is likely the speed at which the hammer approaches the firing pin when the decocking lever is used which still unnerves me some. What I need to do is head out to the range where I'm a member and practice a LOT with handling my new semi-auto in various situations. There is no substitute for practice.

Links