Question from a newbie

This is a discussion on Question from a newbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for all the veteran folks on these forums. What do you do when you come to a building and or location ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question from a newbie

Question from a newbie

I have a question for all the veteran folks on these forums.

What do you do when you come to a building and or location where it isn't legal to carry? Do you secure your firearm in your car? Do you try to plan ahead and simply not carry for that specific outing?

I've been trying to find some decent safes for inside my car, but haven't come across any. This question is just sticking out in my mind as I await my CPL, and SIG p239 / S&W 442 which are all three on there way.

Thanks,
    - J

2. Remove Ads

I lock it up in a homemade safe in the car. A lockbox, a chain, and a lock secure everything to my satisfaction.

Someone here will tell you a good carsafe brand. I can't remember the name of it off hand, but there is one brand that seems to be the favorite. I just couldn't afford it, and made my own...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I try to avoid those situations as much as possible, and since 'signs' here in FL are meaningless, it means that most such places are schools, county buildings, and police stations, etc...plan ahead.

Now if I happen to need security for my firearn in my vehicle I use one of these in a well-hidden spot in the car...
    Center Of Mass Central
    The safe is small enough to be hidden where it cannot easily be found, but large enough to hold a full size pistol.

Note: I use this CoM safe for short time needs and I never leave a firearm in a car overnight.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I try to avoid those situations as much as possible too. My wife's car has a locking glove box........... Not that it's the best way, but it's never for very long.

I spent several hours a day in school so I lock my in the glovebox.
    I beleive it is not the best solution but right now it is the only solution.
    I plan on adding a lock box in my car in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I try to avoid those situations as much as possible, and since 'signs' here in FL are meaningless, it means that most such places are schools, county buildings, and police stations, etc...plan ahead.

Now if I happen to need security for my firearn in my vehicle I use one of these in a well-hidden spot in the car...
    Center Of Mass Central
    The safe is small enough to be hidden where it cannot easily be found, but large enough to hold a full size pistol.

Note: I use this CoM safe for short time needs and I never leave a firearm in a car overnight.
    Thanks for the link and the info, just ordered two for my cars. Never felt comfortable leaving my weapons in the glove box.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Bolted a modified Ammo Box behinde the seat of truck & weilded the heads of the bolts ;-)
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Hey Sam..... Keep in mind that if you visit federal buildings, the grounds, parking lots, and sometimes streets in front of the building are part of the property..... plan as such, weapons are forbidden on federal property and if someone was to see you securing your weapon in the parking lot, you could be in violation....... just FYI.
    I have to think of this everytime I visit the VA. Most times I forget...... LOL
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

+1 on the center of mass. i have one and they are awesome. i got mine before i knew about the combo style lock on them. i think i will be ordering a few of those soon.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that allows me to pack almost anywhere. I read about "signs" saying people can't carry in other states, which cracks me up to be honest. We can carry in bars, state parks and most city parks.

We cant' carry in federal buildings obviously but again, I'm fortunate enough to live in a city where the school system has armed officers for events and I feel safe going unarmed.

The only place I can't carry that I eel I should is the BMV but I only have to go every couple of years at tops.

I think the last time I went to the BMV I stored it in my glove box but I know I didn't leave the house unarmed as I wouldn't have dreamed of doing so in my last city.

If you're in a situation where you've got to store a lot of the time, they make safes that you can bolt to the inside of the frame of the car and without a torch it's impossible to remove. I have one inside my home and it would take an act of god to get it to move.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

I avoid retail businesses that are not carry-friendly. There are too many who are. At banks and such, I place my gun in a closed compartment, as prescribed by law here in SC, and lock the car.

caveat:
    While I would NEVER advise anyone to break the law - as the mess hits the fan in more and more places, I become less and less concerned about the pure legalities of where I can carry.

There are a lot of lock boxes made for securing firearms in cars. All you have to do is do a few quick searches, and most of the small ones for the car costs start around $30 but can go up fast.
    Having no extra money and a husband who welds I just had him make up a simple box out of scrapes at work, we put a lock on, and its bolted to the van.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    Hey Sam..... Keep in mind that if you visit federal buildings, the grounds, parking lots, and sometimes streets in front of the building are part of the property..... plan as such, weapons are forbidden on federal property and if someone was to see you securing your weapon in the parking lot, you could be in violation....... just FYI.
    I have to think of this everytime I visit the VA. Most times I forget...... LOL
    Why don't the Feds just declare everything Federal property? Wait a minute I better not give them any ideas.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

You know Sam..... you make a good point..... "they" don't have to make us register our weapons, or even control purchase...... just make it illegal every where but your personal property..... in your car, or in your house....every place else...including public, could draw a charge..... then "they" could say its your right to keep and bear (on your property) but not keep and bear in public areas........ for "safety" sake......
    Which I think, they are on their way to doing..... That is why we have to remain vigilant on our lawmakers.......
    But reading your Signature..... I'm guessing your know that already!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

VIP Member
    Personally, if it’s a government facility I don't enter it with my gun, ever! If you see a sign in a store/business then you should obey the policy. Admittedly, I have occasionally entered a restaurant and didn’t notice the sign until later. Some may call this selective memory.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links