Would you notify LE? - Page 2

Would you notify LE?

This is a discussion on Would you notify LE? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would also call the police. I also live in a more self-defense friendly state, and I can sympathize with acparmed's story and why he ...

View Poll Results: Drawn Weapon, Notify Law Enforcement? Read the post first.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, call the police and tell them what happened.

111 85.38%
  • No, get in your car and drive away.

15 11.54%
  • Some other option?

4 3.08%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you notify LE?

VIP Member
    I would also call the police. I also live in a more self-defense friendly state, and I can sympathize with acparmed's story and why he did not call. It's a sad thing when self-defense is so frowned upon that people feel like they can't report it to the cops without fear of being prosecuted as the aggressor.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Forstr
    My take: I would get in my car and get out of there, first thing. Make sure you are in the clear first thing, whether you call or not. I would probably call in a report of suspicious activity and give a description of the guy. If I drew my weapon, I would not say anything. You're not breaking the law by omitting that, and there is not record of "John Doe" drawing a weapon. I see it mainly as a CYA deal. Say, for instance, you are somehow on record as having drawn your weapon. Say now that some time later you, heaven forbid, end up in a defensive shooting. Would you not want every legal advantage possible? What I mean by that is, depending on where you are, who the DA is, etc, a "history of 'brandishing' a weapon" might very well be concocted by local media or others trying to make hay out of a gun issue.

In short, saying that you drew a weapon does nothing positive, and has the potential (however small that is), to bite you in the keester later.

Edit to add: I seriously doubt that some shady character would want to draw attention to himself by making a call to the police to report someone pulling a weapon on them, when they were clearly up to no good (this is assuming that the armed citizen was in the right).
    All the points posted by everyone are valid. The issue above is the only one that concerns me and thus why I questioned it in my own mind. I'm a friend of LE and have the utmost respect for them and their jobs...BUT I wouldn't want the quoted scenario above to happen either...

I guess what rubs me the wrong way is the 'brandishing' issue. If you had a legitimate reason (key phrase) to pull out a weapon and it diffused a potentially violent and/or deadly situation, a person shouldn't be punished for it. The problem is that lawmakers don't have any clear definition for legitimate reasons, its all gray areas, and gray areas can fall either way because they are open to interpretation, in your favor or against you depending on circumstance, law enforcement, politicians, media, etc.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

VIP Member
    I would call for a couple reasons and would be careful in my phrasing, but honest in responses to any questions.

I would state that I was approached in a parking lot and there was an attempt to assault me. Relate any description info I can.

If the police ask what I did I would tell them. If they don't, I don't need to tell them.

This does a couple things. I am on record as reporting it in case the other guy decides to make a call.

It gives LE a description of the BG. The LEOs will watch out for the BG. It also puts the location it occurred on the radar as well. This can lead to increased patrols or presence. This may lead to the BG being caught or at the very least increase the potential of them being caught. All good things in my opinion.

-Scott-

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    IF there are witnesses, I'm on the phone. If BG tried to roll me in a secluded area and I drew down and he split, not a chance, other than to maybe report the attempted robbery.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I guess I still think like a child:

First caller to LEO's wins!

Kind of like being a kid beating a path to Mom to rat out kid sister, even thou they instigated the incident.....

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I would just get in my car and go home.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Lead Moderator
    I would call. If noting else it might get the BG off the streets. Also, more than likely the BG had a weapon & intent on evil.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well I hope you all read this post and take it into concideration. Last thursday night im at work (midnight shift), I have my car that I everyday drive with me and my truck (winter ride) is parked at my parents house. I drive it only for fishing and hunting really so there was $26, 2 fishing poles and my turkey camo. Well thursday nigh at 12:30 my dad went to bed and heard our driveway chime go off, he figured well im up I'll go look at the camera (we have cameras due to prior theft). While looking at the monitor he saw movement in the truck, and grabbed a flashlight and 16g loaded with rock salt. he went down to my truck and "his eyes got big as baseballs", yanked the African American gentleman out of my truck, hauled him up to the house at gunpoint and yelled for my mom to call the cops. while doing this the guy tried to run so my dad tackled him on the porch he got back up and the guy threw a punch, missed then while still on my property ran. My dad then shot at him with the rocksalt. He kept running then soon after the state boys came. When talking to my dad the cop told him my dad should have either broke the gun over his head or drug him in the house to shoot him. Dad didnt tell the cop that he shot at him but I highly doubt that guy is going to call the cops on my dad "ahh some guy just shot at me cause I was robbing his truck". So the story goes on, they printed my truck and the guy matched the prints of about 12 yes 12 vehicle thefts in the local area. Dad photo id'ed him and the cops are supposedly going to pick him up. People in the area know who he is and my dad wont tell me who it is in fear of what i might do..... but hopefully the ******* will get whats coming to him via some jail time.

P.S. He only took my $26, and i just removed my pistol last week to put in my daily driver.
    "That one was rubber, The next one is live"

VIP Member
    Call LEO. Besides the reasons given above, you really think the BG is gonna say: "Gee! That was a close one. I better change my ways. I will get a job tomorrow."? No, he is gonna go for another victim. Call LEO and give them all pertinent information that will lead them to the arrest of the BG
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Get to the safety of my car and then call LE via 911, attempt to leave the area, if unable to or blocked, draw your weapon, take appropriate cover and action as necessary, escalating force as needed. Make sure that during 911 call that LEO knows you are armed.

VIP Member
    I'd call the: locals, the good attorneys at FLEOA (for consultation), my supervisor (especially if I drew the "work" gun and was on-duty at the time) and my family (for support).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Call LEO. Besides the reasons given above, you really think the BG is gonna say: "Gee! That was a close one. I better change my ways. I will get a job tomorrow."? No, he is gonna go for another victim. Call LEO and give them all pertinent information that will lead them to the arrest of the BG
    ....very good points.

I agree with Forstr; call the police, make a report, but only tell as much as necessary. If pulling your weapon on the possible BG doesn't need to be mentioned, then don't.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    I agree with Forstr; call the police, make a report, but only tell as much as necessary. If pulling your weapon on the possible BG doesn't need to be mentioned, then don't.
    How exactly are you going to explain that?

(imaging scary, intense music playing in the background) "I shouted verbal warnings, loudly and repeatedly, I moved away from him, he pursued, I changed my direction/route/path, he followed, he kept getting closer and closer. Then he ran away." Sounds kind of funny and anti-climatic.

Seems like the LEO would ask 'did you do anything to make him run away?'. Would have to figure out a way to explain it to provide all the details about him, without giving too many away about yourself, so some thought would have to be taken to figure out how to word his sudden egress.

So I'm just saying, depending on how you describe the event, it could lead to more questions in which case you'd have to tell them you cleared leather. Then again, don't want to tame it down too much by leaving out too much information so that the BG doesn't sound like a threat not worthy of them checking out.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

VIP Member
    The negative thing about "not giving the LEO" the whole story is that if the investigating LEO were to find out somehow (the creep files a complaint, there was an eyeball witness or the area had video cameras and captures the entire event) that you drew your weapon and you didn't state that and/or all of the facts, then the LEOs may not be too happy and may try to go as far as accusing you of making a material false statement, even though you didn't lie; you just concealed all of the facts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links