Interesting Sign at Seattle Airport

This is a discussion on Interesting Sign at Seattle Airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While returning from Seattle to New York last night, my wife and I stopped in to one of the terminal bars for a snack. There ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Sign at Seattle Airport

While returning from Seattle to New York last night, my wife and I stopped in to one of the terminal bars for a snack.

There were two signs posted on the bar: "No Minors In Bar Area". Under this sign was another: "No Firearms Permitted".

Now, this seemed strange because the bar was after terminal security and screening! I thought this quite unusual, and was wondering if there is a Washington State law that requires this posting at all bars. Anyone know?

Sorry the photo quality is poor, it was a quick picture with my BlackBerry.
    Attached Images
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Well, it is consistent with state law... weapons are prohibited in:

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places ? Local laws and ordinances ? Exceptions ? Penalty.

RCW 9.41.300
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport designated in the airport security plan approved by the federal transportation security administration, including passenger screening checkpoints at or beyond the point at which a passenger initiates the screening process. These areas do not include airport drives, general parking areas and walkways, and shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoints and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating that firearms and other weapons are prohibited in the area.

continued...

(5) The perimeter of the premises of any specific location covered by subsection (1) of this section shall be posted at reasonable intervals to alert the public as to the existence of any law restricting the possession of firearms on the premises.
    It is kinda ironic that they have a duplicate firearm sign inside the sterile area.

At least it is consistent with state law...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Bureaucracy removes all possibilities for common sense. I guarantee that despite being in a "sterile" area, if they didn't have the proper signs posted they would be fined. England isn't the only Nanny State.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    Bureaucracy removes all possibilities for common sense. I guarantee that despite being in a "sterile" area, if they didn't have the proper signs posted they would be fined. England isn't the only Nanny State.
    Sad, but very true. Common sense has never had a seat with politics.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Case in point, on the small bag of Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts there is the following:

WARNING - THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS

sigh........
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Whew. It is good to know that should a BG get his firearm past security, that I am safe in that bar knowing that he would obey the sign and not go in with his firearm.

BTW, what about air marshals? Do they have to obey that sign?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    Case in point, on the small bag of Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts there is the following:

WARNING - THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS

sigh........
    Yes, that was my point, exactly. Stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    BTW, what about air marshals? Do they have to obey that sign?
    I would assume they do not have to obey it. Also, as a pilot myself (assuming I could get past the checkpoint), would I have to obey it?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Funny! I think we found the purpose of that sign! LEO's (including federal) are exempt from the prohibited locations by state law, but pilots are not.

(6) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(a) A person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments, while engaged in official duties;

(b) Law enforcement personnel,...
    So the purpose of the sign is: if an armed pilot goes for a beer before their flight, they can't take their firearm with them!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    So the purpose of the sign is: if an armed pilot goes for a beer before their flight, they can't take their firearm with them!
    That makes lots of sense! There is of course, an FAA regulation against drinking and flying, so I'm not sure how a pilot would interpret that sign!

As pilots say, "8 hours bottle to throttle"!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

OK. An armed drunk pilot. Who did you say you flew for? I think I want to change my flight. Same goes for the air marshal on that flight.

OK. An armed drunk pilot. Who did you say you flew for? I think I want to change my flight. Same goes for the air marshal on that flight.
    I am a private pilot, not commercial. I fly for myself, my family and my friends! (Sober!)
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I am a private pilot, not commercial. I fly for myself, my family and my friends! (Sober!)
    So you are the pilot, air marshal and flight attendant. Do you get three times the pay then?

So you are the pilot, air marshal and flight attendant. Do you get three times the pay then?
    LOL! I also own my own company. That makes me CEO, president, and janitor!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

OK. An armed drunk pilot. Who did you say you flew for?
    lol. An armed drunk pilot. I am only one of those...

There appears to be a scenario where and armed pilot could legally go for a drink in the sterile area and not violate any flight rules. If they legally carried and went for a drink after landing on their way home...?
    This thread has necessarily deteriorated to silliness. I love it.

lol. An armed drunk pilot. I am only one of those...

There appears to be a scenario where and armed pilot could legally go for a drink in the sterile area and not violate any flight rules. If they legally carried and went for a drink after landing on their way home...?
    This thread has necessarily deteriorated to silliness. I love it.
    Yes Nutz, I think you found the one scenario where it would be legal. I for one, do not want to test it though!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links