had a run-in with a irresponsible cc permit holder the other night

This is a discussion on had a run-in with a irresponsible cc permit holder the other night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Definitely the weapon should have been cleared before handing it back. If he hadn't been legal you were setting yourself up to be shot....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: had a run-in with a irresponsible cc permit holder the other night

Definitely the weapon should have been cleared before handing it back. If he hadn't been legal you were setting yourself up to be shot.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    What makes you so sure he has a permit?
    Also, I would point out that many state statutes do not allow handguns in a bar, permit or no permit, and possession of a handgun in a bar is a felony offense. In that case -- What to do? "What to do?
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Sounds fishy to me...I'll bet this guy had no permit.
    No holster?
    His girlfriend grabs the gun, not him?
    He had a gun in the bar?

Was he a football player?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Lets see, you were both at a bar and you had been drinking. You see another person leaving the bar so it’s reasonable to assume that he too had been drinking. I can’t even count the number of ways of how this whole thing could have gone south and it actually did! The girlfriend whom was also likely impaired, grabs the loaded gun from you in a panic. Are you with me so far? Our autonomic reactions and sense of reason is distorted with alcohol. The guy was impaired enough not to notice he lost his gun and he could have potentially over reacted to embarrassment. The situation all turned out well by pure chance, and not by sound judgment. Now, I don’t mean to shoot the messenger as some forum members will learn from your honest presentation. I appreciate you for sharing the experience.
    Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I suppose the lesson here is always be prepared. The whole scenario sounds fishy. My only advice has been presented already. I would NOT have let his girlfriend take the firearm from me...not happening. I would also have made it safe before returning it to him and making sure he pointedly knew that he just wet the bed.

IANAL and I don't know NY statutes on bar carry, so if that was an issue then there would have been that too.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    +1 on what Saber wrote. The first mistake, "So the other night I went out to a bar with some buds. After a couple drinks me and a bud go outside to have a smoke,"

If you want to avoid trouble in the first place you don't go to places where trouble will find you.

This whole thing makes me go "Doh!" I'm not sure about NY, but it's illegal to have a concealed weapon in a bar (or bar portion of a restaurant) in Florida.

Then dropping the gun. In NY? In a bar? Plaxico Burress anyone?

Then running after the guy screaming "YOU DROPPED YOUR PISTOL!"

Yeesh...
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Kicker96fs View Post
    I would have made the gun "safe" by pulling the mag and opening the action and locking it. That is the safe to to hand a gun to someone.
    Same here. I've never been in this situation, but this is definitely what I would have done differently.

This guy obviously has no SA or COMMON SENSE. I mean come on, you DROP your carry gun and you dont notice? I can see leaving it at home in the safe or on the night stand and realizing "DAMN I forgot it", but DROPPING it an not realizing? Also his lady friend has no inclination of safety to just GRAB it from your hands... +1 for giving it back to the guy and noticing he dropped it. -100 for his SA/common sense and the girls disreguard for safety. (I could see the headlines if the .25 went off, "PLAXICO REDUX at *insert name of establishment*" )
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

thanks for the replies everyone. I made this post, because I knew I didn't handle the situation 100% right, but even after this much time passed I could not decide what the right way would be. It happened so fast it was just reacting, and afterwards I thought mabee i should have 'made the weapon safe' but decided that probably would not be a good idea, because whats to stop someone else who is carrying from seeing me with a gun in my hands in a bar, and turning it into a REALLY REALLY bad situation?

Also I was not the one who picked it up that was my friend, I was trying to get the guys attention so he could get it himself.

No laws against bar carry in New York that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by blar View Post

what would you guys have done in this situation?
    Thats a hard question.
    Honestly, I might have quietly dropped a dime and reported the abandoned weapon.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Beside the possible problem of where he was carrying, this is a good example of why one needs a good holster that is tight enough so that could not happen.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Sounds to me like the guy was breaking the law by carrying concealed in a bar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Also, I would point out that many state statutes do not allow handguns in a bar, permit or no permit, and possession of a handgun in a bar is a felony offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    I'm not sure about NY, but it's illegal to have a concealed weapon in a bar (or bar portion of a restaurant) in Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Beside the possible problem of where he was carrying
    Blar is located in Rochester NY. If that's where the incident occurred, and the guy had a NY permit, it was not a violation. NY permittees are not prohibited from carrying in a bar. (And Plaxico Burress pled guilty to "attempting to possess a handgun" without a permit---that it occurred in a bar was irrelevant.)

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    You did what you thought was right. Why anyone would carry in a bar is beyond me. Even if it is legal,the deck is stacked against you in a courtroom if you use it in a bar.

I probably would have descretely got his attention and asked if he dropped something (without disclosing what it was) and then suggested that we descretely make the transfer. I consider myself an honest person and have recently returned money to people that I saw them drop, but I would have been tempted to say to myself, "if he is so irresponsible as to lose it, I'm doing society a favor by not giving it back to him." The thought would have crossed my mind, but honesty would have more than likely prevailed. Just imagine if you kept it and it was reported stolen or had been used in the commission of a crime. Who would believe your, "I found it" story? When I was in my early teens, my friend up the street found a revolver in his front yard under a bush (close to a busy road) and he kept it (I was with him when he found it). I have no doubt someone ditched it out a car window after a crime. We told his parents and they asked his older brothers and neighbors and no one knew anything about it. His parents kept it for him until he was 18.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links