had a run-in with a irresponsible cc permit holder the other night

This is a discussion on had a run-in with a irresponsible cc permit holder the other night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the other night I went out to a bar with some buds. After a couple drinks me and a bud go outside to have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: had a run-in with a irresponsible cc permit holder the other night

had a run-in with a irresponsible cc permit holder the other night

So the other night I went out to a bar with some buds. After a couple drinks me and a bud go outside to have a smoke, as we are walking through the dark enclosed walkway I hear my buddy say "HEY" and reach down to grab something. Then I look down and noticed the guy in front of me dropped his .25 cal. beretta, and my buddy is picking it up (safely) trying to get the guys attention. So I start yelling to the guy "hey....dude...and whatnot" but him and his lady friend keep walking...so my buddy yells really loud "HEY....YOU DROPPED YOUR PISTOL..." or something like that...then the guys girlfriend realizes and turns around and as if the situation wasn't bad enough very quickly and unsafely grabs it out of my friends hand...the guy then grabs it and quickly tucks it away. So we go outside and the guy thanks us, and I say something like "don't worry we are both pro-gun i don't think anyone else realized, but please get a better holster". he then tells us that his girlfriend was grabbing something from his pants and knocked it out...I didn't make a big deal out of it, because he did not seem drunk at all, and he seemed really sorry the whole thing happened. However once a few minutes passed once I was inside the reality of what just happened sunk in.

this guy

1) dropped a loaded gun to the floor in the middle of the entrance of a crowded bar

2) didn't realize it and kept walking away from it

3) his girlfriend grabbed it out of my friends hand very quickly and dangerously

it was a total buzz kill for the night and I left pissed off soon after...

what would you guys have done in this situation?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard blar.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Free Gun?

But seriously I would have probably done what you did except I'm pretty sure I would have quick stepped to him and tried to give it to him directly instead of shouting. Not sure if that's the smart way of doing it or not but I have to be honest as to what I'd do at that moment.

What makes you so sure he has a permit?
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

he took it out when we got outside (his permit)...sorry forgot to mention that...i didn't like check it up-close or anything, so yea i guess i am only assuming he was legit.

in new york you need a permit just in order to buy/own a pistol, however, that same permit also serves as a carry permit unless otherwise restricted to "hunting, or target shooting" however the 2 counties near me pretty much only issue unrestricted carry permits.

I think I would have waited to see how long it took him to notice and the let him panic alittle bit before returning it. Good learning lesson.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by blar View Post
    he took it out when we got outside (his permit)...sorry forgot to mention that...i didn't like check it up-close or anything, so yea i guess i am only assuming he was legit.

in new york you need a permit just in order to buy/own a pistol, however, that same permit also serves as a carry permit unless otherwise restricted to "hunting, or target shooting" however the 2 counties near me pretty much only issue unrestricted carry permits.
    As they say, "All's well that ends well". Too bad you didn't mention this forum, he could have learned alot of valuable info.
    I've been trying to recruit my friends. So far the only one that has was just interested in a Bersa .380 +ammo someone posted for sale. If I'd had the money at the time, I would have jumped on it, as I saw it just minutes after the initial posting.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

I'm not sure a .25 even counts as an actual handgun;)
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Those are the idiots who make the responsible cc'ers look bad.

I think there should be more training required to obtain a CCW. Its pretty easy to get one and really involves no firearm competence at all. But that's just my opinion.

Now I know its technically a "Right" but.......I know some people who really shouldn't have em and they scare me when I am around them. You know you know some too! lol
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Well, at least the guy did one thing right, ignored strangers yelling at him and kept walking away.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Those are the idiots who make the responsible cc'ers look bad.

I think there should be more training required to obtain a CCW. Its pretty easy to get one and really involves no firearm competence at all. But that's just my opinion.

Now I know its technically a "Right" but.......I know some people who really shouldn't have em and they scare me when I am around them. You know you know some too! lol
    At my local gun shop (where I've done business for > 25 years...)
    last Saturday I was appalled at the complete lack of gun safety on the part of one of the clerks.....
    Man and woman are at the counter, checking out Ruger semi-autos...
    Clerk brings one out of the case, opens the action, then proceeds to lay it down...MUZZLE POINTING DIRECTLY at the woman's stomach!!!! He then selects another semi from the case....this time does NOT open the action....and lays IT on the counter next to the other one....SAME MUZZLE POSITION!!!
    At this point, I reached over to the countertop (clerk had gone out back.....) and turned the muzzles AWAY from the customers and anyone else who might have passed in front of the display...I couldn't help but say to both the man and woman: "If the owner were here....THAT guy WOULDN'T BE!!!" They agreed, but I couldn't help wondering....the guns sat there for several seconds, in their "muzzle- out" configuration, and NEITHER customer did anything!!
    I'm wondering just WHO might be the first I run from if I see them with a weapon in hand.....?!

Yep.. Primary gun safety rule.. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction..

However, in a gun store there are no safe directions. If you drew a line from the muzzle straight out it would be hitting someone somewhere in that store..

Sounds to me like the guy was breaking the law by carrying concealed in a bar?!

If that is the case, he just pulled a Plaxico Burriss
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

I think ya did the right thing, and the guys very lucky there was someone like you there to pick up his slack. As for the female grabbing the pistol aggressively. I think you or your friend were well within your rights to secure the weapon before handing it back for your own safety. JMO

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I would have made the gun "safe" by pulling the mag and opening the action and locking it. That is the safe to to hand a gun to someone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links