To inform or not to inform, that is the question

This is a discussion on To inform or not to inform, that is the question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Treo Ok, so how does my informing the cop I’m armed make his job any safer? Remember, I’m a "certified good guy" ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To inform or not to inform, that is the question

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Ok, so how does my informing the cop I’m armed make his job any safer? Remember, I’m a "certified good guy" so how is my gun a threat to them?
    I merely present the CWP and if they ask if I am armed, I answer honestly. It has nothing to do with making his job "safer". It is merely about full disclosure.

My personal opinion is that those who inform are looking to identify W/ the cop in some way. I’d be willing to bet that most of you fall into the “sheep dog” subset of firearms owners.
    I'm glad you're willing to express your personal opinion here so willingly. We'll all get to know and respect you and your opinions more quickly.

I choose not to inform because there is no benefit to me and it could lead to a negative outcome.
    Now I understand....you only take actions when they are to your sole benefit. I'm glad we have that out of the way.

I don't really understand your concern about negative outcomes unless there is actually a substantive reason for said outcome..........or an irrational fear of same.......

Are you really that unsure of your concealment skill?
    Of course not. That's just silly and argumentative. As you said earlier, "Do try to keep up".

2. Remove Ads

PM
    I think in Kansas (you other KS guys correct me if I am misinterpreting the law) but a traffic stop would be an official contact and therefore require notification of the officer. That said I have never been asked in the three years I have had my card. One or two stops for lead in foot and one paint exchange; the last being one of the first few days I carried!!

One stop saw KHP and the other were the local PD -- local PD (most at least) are OK with CC --- the Chief is a certified KS CC instructor. I would guess that the KHP's guys fall into the same OK stance as well though we have some areas of the state that I would say you could run into more anti-gun cops (or at least anit civithat others areas

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Of course not. That's just silly and argumentative. Do try to keep up.
    C'mon guys. Let's keep it polite and respectful and resist the temptation of tit for tat. We have so much in common as 2nd Ammedment advocates that it is a shame to go after each other over the little areas where we have reasonable disagreements.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

I do not have my CCW yet (class in 6 days), however, after reading all these threads about whether to inform a LEO if I'm carrying or not, I don't think I would inform unless asked by the LEO. My theory is that the LEO is just another citizen doing their job. I was obviously certified and passed the background check, so I can feel comfortable with my ability to be safe. What the LEO does not know, will not hurt them. If they find out I have my permit while looking up my DL#, they can question me all they want and I will be honest.
    Glock 23
    CWP (ND) Holder
    CWP (Utah) - Waiting for my letter

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    Maybe a better question is why not inform? Have something to hide?
    And while you're at it, let him search your house... unless you have something to hide.

Obey the law. If the law says you have to inform, inform. If it doesn't say you have to inform, don't.

Let's keep it polite and respectful
    Agreed wholeheartedly.

I merely present the CWP and if they ask if I am armed, I answer honestly. It has nothing to do with making his job "safer". It is merely about full disclosure.
    Ok if it doesn’t make his job safer what’s the point? What do you (or he gain) by your disclosure? Do you "fully disclose" if you have a knife or a can of OC or a rifle in the trunk?

I'm glad you're willing to express your personal opinion here so willingly
    As long as I state my opinion as my opinion what's the problem? I think Sarah Palin is ugly too

Now I understand....you only take actions when they are to your sole benefit. I'm glad we have that out of the way.
    No, but I see no reason to take an action that is isn’t going to help and may hurt. Who’s best interests should I be looking out for? Am I going to try to shoot the cop? Will my gun jump out of the holster and go crazy on its own?

I don't really understand your concern about negative outcomes unless there is actually a substantive reason for said outcome
    As I have posted earlier in this thread the CSPD and the CSP tend to have a negative reaction to citizens carrying firearms.

I've been carefull to explain my rationale but all I'm hearing from the other side of the debate is "I just do it". I am more convinced that ever it's some attempt to identify W/ the cop. Like a way of saying look I'm a "Cool kid" too.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In FL one does not have to inform, but I have no problem informing as a 'courtesy' to another firearms owner (LEO's).
    In all my dealings with LEO's in this state, all have acted professionally. I guess there could be a situation in which I might not inform, but I'll play that one by ear...
    I'm curious about this. "I have no problem informing as a 'courtesy' to another firearms owner"

Do you tell other people you spot carrying that you're armed? To me, the objective is to not let anyone at all i'm carrying. Not even family I'm at when visiting. I have no desire to out myself carrying in any situation other than where I'm forced to defend myself.

To answer the original question, I will outright lie if asked by the police if I'm carrying. No duty to inform in my state. The reason? Police don't and can't know all the laws. They're not walking law books expected to know 100,000 state laws. I don't' want to get the moron that doesn't know my rights and beats the piss out of me or locks me up overnight for being within my legal rights. I firmly believe the majority of the policemen in our state wouldn't care if I was packing or not but I'm not going to chance getting the one who does and also has mace, cuffs and a gun along with a legal right to enforce his opinion when I'm not required to as a US citizen or as a citizen of my state.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

I think Sarah Palin is ugly too
    Glock 23
    CWP (ND) Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    I don't' want to get the moron that doesn't know my rights and beats the piss out of me or locks me up overnight for being within my legal rights
    I wouldn't mind running into this moron. I would just end up with more $$$ for new toys
    Glock 23
    CWP (ND) Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    To answer the original question, I will outright lie if asked by the police if I'm carrying.
    While there may be no requirement to inform, I believe lying to a police officer who is acting in an official capacity is usually illegal and can get you arrested and convicted in and of itself.

EDIT: Usually, the law states something to the effect that making a false material statement is illegal. I wouldn't want to have to go to court and try to convince judge and jury that lying about being armed is not a false material statement.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I know that it is not required in AZ, but if I get pulled over it will show up on the reg of the vehicle that I have a CCW. So if the LEO is hot and bothered about it my best chance to cool it off is to politely inform and make it no big deal. If it was no big deal to him or her to begin with it will still be no big deal. If it makes them nervous then I have been polite, respectful, and helpful with that officer.

Their job is stressful and I want to make it less so. I want them to know that I am an honest citizen not trying to make their day difficult.

In AZ I have yet to run into an anti-2A LEO, though most I know come through other contacts. I've never been pulled over for a traffic violation here, so I guess it is all conjecture.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Tell us again whom notifying "benefits" and HOW?

I don't really understand your concern about negative outcomes unless there is actually a substantive reason for said outcome..........or an irrational fear of same.......
    Long story short:

A guy from NC is stopped in Fairfax County, Virgina. He unnecessarily notifies and is falsely arrested for a variety of entirely imaginary CCW related "crimes". Even after being told by the magistrate who freed the man that the arrest had been a FALSE arrest, Fairfax County police tried to keep the man's firearm.

An innocent man was pointlessly deprived of his liberty.
    The reputation of law enforcement in Fairfax County was seriously damaged.
    At least one person will probably never trust LEOs in general again.

Now, tell me again who benefited from that little exercise?

If you knew it was the officer's prefference that you allow a search of your vehicle every time they pull you over would you allow it?
    Exactly! It's about more than just some power happy LEO pulling me from my vehicle while I'm within my legal right. It's about voluntarily giving up a basic right. No thanks IMO. Others can do as they want, but until it's a law and I'm forced to notify/inform, I'll lie/omit.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    While there may be no requirement to inform, I believe lying to a police officer who is acting in an official capacity is usually illegal and can get you arrested and convicted in and of itself.
    I don't believe this is the case here. If I'm pulled over for a broken tail light what right does an officer have to know I'm carrying legally? It's situational imo. If there's a shooting and I'm being pulled over for looking like the guy who did it, you bet ya I'm going to say "officer, I've got a 9mm in my glove box and my hand will remain on the steering wheel until you tell me otherwise"

I'm not a criminal for carrying. I won't be treated like one either. I have no desire or motivation for telling a cop I'm carrying while being pulled over for a slow stop at a stop sign. it doesn't make any sense what so ever to do so. Come to think of it though I'm not sure I've ever been asked if I'm packing at any point in my life. My guess would be with our far right state and purely brilliant gun laws they may not have a right, or a need to ask. Or, I don't seem like the type. who knows.

Perhaps I'll read up more on the subject but I see no reason atm to tell an officer I'm carrying even when they ask with our current state laws. However, it's certainly worth looking into it. One more way ot make the average second Amendment supporters criminals without ever doing anything wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links