To inform or not to inform, that is the question

This is a discussion on To inform or not to inform, that is the question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by puncho If I'm asked a question I will answer. If my DL is asked for It will accompany my CWP. Thats the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: To inform or not to inform, that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    If I'm asked a question I will answer. If my DL is asked for It will accompany my CWP.
    Thats the way I do it, carrying or not (I always am anyway).
    I'll give them both and then let the LEO know if Im carrying or not.
    I also have a voice recorder so I can record the entire thing, just in case ;-)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The "courtesy issue" do you inform store managers when you enter their place of business?
    The question is illogical.
    The Store manager isnt a LEO who can kick my ***, force me from the vehicle at gun point, then make the rest of my life suck by trumping up some felony charge thereby keeping me from even buying another gun.
    Easier to just inform him and be on your way

Ok, so how does my informing the cop I’m armed make his job any safer? Remember, I’m a "certified good guy" so how is my gun a threat to them?
    Again, illogical.
    The LEO DOESNT know if you are going to REMAIN a 'certified good guy' gent.
    As far as he knows you just got your CC license because you wanted to be a big man and your just waiting to snap on someone.

Your Carry permit doesnt make you a 'certified good guy' any more than a badge makes a LEO good guy.
    Ive known a list of LEOs who went thru FAR more training and evaluation than CHL holders have and bad guys still slip through the cracks. It happens.

So how is making things go smoother during a stop hurt ?
    Why make it harder on the LEO and possibly yourself if you piss him off ?

My personal opinion is that those who inform are looking to identify W/ the cop in some way.
    Firstly, who cares what your assessment is ?
    Secondly, even if we are, is it some diabolic evil to want to be on good terms with another human who has the ability to make your life hell for the next 6 months ?

I’d be willing to bet that most of you fall into the “sheep dog” subset of firearms owners.
    Again, who cares what your assessment is ?
    Better to be some out of control Rambo with an ego complex who is likely to piss of some cop very soon during a stop and end up in jail and losing his CHL entirely ?

I'll take the sheep route, thank you very much.
    Lets see who ends up spending the night in jail and who doesnt ;-)

I choose not to inform because there is no benefit to me and it could lead to a negative outcome.
    Thats a joke.
    A BAD LEO can make your life hell regardless of informing or not.
    You can get confirmation of that fact by asking my mother and sister about it and doing a quick search for New Rome PD (that no longer exists) in Columbus Ohio.
    It doesnt take a gun on your hip to get your *** kicked by a bad cop.

If you knew it was the officer's prefference that you allow a search of your vehicle every time they pull you over would you allow it?
    Same old worn out argument.
    Entirely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    To answer the original question, I will outright lie if asked by the police if I'm carrying. No duty to inform in my state. The reason? Police don't and can't know all the laws. They're not walking law books expected to know 100,000 state laws. I don't' want to get the moron that doesn't know my rights and beats the piss out of me or locks me up overnight for being within my legal rights. I firmly believe the majority of the policemen in our state wouldn't care if I was packing or not but I'm not going to chance getting the one who does and also has mace, cuffs and a gun along with a legal right to enforce his opinion when I'm not required to as a US citizen or as a citizen of my state.
    So your AG doesnt give out a free booklet about CC laws that you could keep in your glove box like I do ?
    Get one, put it in there and if your worried about the LEO not knowing the laws you'll have it to give to him.
    If he arrests you after knowing thatyou have the laws to show him then you have a court case against him.
    I even have the law printed out about killing a dog in self defense just in case I have to shoot a Rottie or something and a LEO doesnt know what Ohio law says.

The problem also is that LEOs arent just citizens. They are citizens that have been appointed responsibilities and authorities that you and I do not have.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    Exactly! It's about more than just some power happy LEO pulling me from my vehicle while I'm within my legal right. It's about voluntarily giving up a basic right. No thanks IMO. Others can do as they want, but until it's a law and I'm forced to notify/inform, I'll lie/omit.
    And we ALL know that no LEO has ever done this sort of thing unless it involved a CHL holder, right ?

A bad LEO doesnt need for you to be carrying concealed to ruin your day.
    Some of you guys are just flat out paranoid.
    I dont know if Im allowed to make suggestions or not, but they do have medication for that sort of thing :)

Senior Moderator
    Ok people, this one is done. Everything that needs to be said has been said and we have had a few complaints of less than respectfull posting. Lets move on.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links