Do I have any way to carry in the Imperial State of New York?

This is a discussion on Do I have any way to carry in the Imperial State of New York? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 87 year old Dad recently sold his house and the closing will be in late January. I will be going with him to 'clean ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have any way to carry in the Imperial State of New York?

My 87 year old Dad recently sold his house and the closing will be in late January. I will be going with him to 'clean out the place' and was wondering if there is ANY way to carry (or at the very least have my weapon with me).

Besides being used to carrying, I really don't want to have a big target (in the form of a U-Haul truck) without any protection.

To top things off, Dad recently had a fender-bender and was required to take a driving test (which he did not pass). Needless to say, he is not happy with NYS DMV.

Thanks!

Bill

ps. I plan on being totally out of luck on this issue, but I am hoping that someone will have an idea that I did not think of...
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    To be frank... you are SOL.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Any chance of becoming a sworn LEO between now and then?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Yeah, I figured as such...

Heck, I don't even know who to try to bribe!!

Bill
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    As a former prisoner, err..resident...
    No. No such thing as a non resident permit, no reciprocity and a long PITA process to get a permit AS a resident, IF you live in a county there that will issue at all.

I hate even visiting relatives there anymore.

Get comfortable with blunt weapons, and less than lethals.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

what are the laws on long guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    As a former prisoner, err..resident...
    No. No such thing as a non resident permit, no reciprocity and a long PITA process to get a permit AS a resident, IF you live in a county there that will issue at all.

I hate even visiting relatives there anymore.

Get comfortable with blunt weapons, and less than lethals.

Arko you make it sound like very few counties in NY issue when in FACT that is not the case. Two questions, how many counties are there in NY and how many do NOT issue?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

You can not even buy pistol ammo from Walmart any more with out a NY pistol permit. I always used my form 6 and state hunting permit. Which I am legally permitted to do so as long as the ammo stays in the US. I like to buy it over there. It is less then half the price compared to Canada. I shoot in VT and have my CCW for ME and just waiting... on NH. NY laws remind me of Canada, they are a bit better but not by much.
    "It is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are so many sheep around"

Only after the swastika's are removed from the state house ;)

NY State is comprised of about 64 counties of which 4 are considered to be NY City. Only a few of the counties close to the dreaded 4 (Manhattan,Kings,Queens and Richmond) are a little more involved when it comes to getting a handgun permit but permits ARE issued in them.

The 4 listed above make up only a very minor portion of the State's geography but as to the rest of the State obtaining a permit is just a matter of having a clean record and filling out the paperwork. Many counties automatically issue non-restricted permits.

Long guns (except for the dreaded 4) are not a permit issue anywhere in the State..

FWIW

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    NY State is comprised of about 64 counties of which 4 are considered to be NY City. Only a few of the counties close to the dreaded 4 (Manhattan,Kings,Queens and Richmond) are a little more involved when it comes to getting a handgun permit but permits ARE issued in them.

The 4 listed above make up only a very minor portion of the State's geography but as to the rest of the State obtaining a permit is just a matter of having a clean record and filling out the paperwork. Many counties automatically issue non-restricted permits.

Long guns (except for the dreaded 4) are not a permit issue anywhere in the State..

FWIW

bosco
    Bosco,
    It's not quite THAT easy, even upstate. The background check is ridiculous, and can take forever, and even some UPSTATE counties reject a considerable portion of applications, with little recourse as the state is MAY issue, not SHALL issue.
    Getting a permit in my native Oneida County requires an act of Congress, or "knowing" the right people.
    I'm happy for YOU though if your county wasn't quite so onerous.

But, more to the point, there is NO way for the OP to carry legally.
    (and I think it's crap)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post

FWIW

bosco
    Thanks Bosco...

We have enough to deal with in NY that we don't need misrepresentation.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I wasn't trying to misinterpret. I was a native and found the system to get one god-awful. Your mileage and perception may vary. My eyes opened wide when I moved south and found more of the freedom that every citizen should enjoy.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Bosco,
    It's not quite THAT easy, even upstate. The background check is ridiculous, and can take forever, and even some UPSTATE counties reject a considerable portion of applications, with little recourse as the state is MAY issue, not SHALL issue.
    Getting a permit in my native Oneida County requires an act of Congress, or "knowing" the right people.
    I'm happy for YOU though if your county wasn't quite so onerous.

But, more to the point, there is NO way for the OP to carry legally.
    (and I think it's crap)

I have yet to here of ANYONE without a felony conviction being denied a permit. I can't speak for the county you lived in but I know people from all over the place whom had no problem getting them.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I have yet to here of ANYONE without a felony conviction being denied a permit. I can't speak for the county you lived in but I know people from all over the place whom had no problem getting them.
    From Oneida County's Website:

Application Information

IN ORDER TO PICK UP AN APPLICATION FOR A PISTOL LICENSE IN ONEIDA COUNTY YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

1. Be at least 21 years old
    2. Be a resident of Oneida County for at least 1 year
    3. Show proof of the above 2 items with a valid NYS Drivers License ONLY.
    4. Show proof that you have had previous formal handgun training within the last three (3) years.

a. A Certificate or letter from a N.R.A. Basic Pistol shooting course.
    b. Active Military ID or recent discharge papers. (3 years)
    c. Active Police Officer or Corrections Officer status or recently retired (3 years)
    5. *To Receive a "full carry" license or "unrestricted" license, It is solely the licensing officers decision as to whether the applicant has demonstrated proper cause for the issuance of a unrestricted license.

Onondaga and most Syracuse area counties are similar.

Notice that reference to proper cause". That's crap.

But hey, I'm not looking for an argument. You like it there, and can get yours...great. Happy for you. Glad someone can, and perhaps I'm mistaken about other areas, but you can't deny that it's neigh impossible for a non resident to carry...and that IS crap in my book.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links