Weapon Free Zone - Ikea in Mesa AZ

This is a discussion on Weapon Free Zone - Ikea in Mesa AZ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, Went to Ikea today with the wife. As we were walking into the store, there was a Black and White sign that had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Free Zone - Ikea in Mesa AZ

Ok, Went to Ikea today with the wife.

As we were walking into the store, there was a Black and White sign that had a a picture of a pistol with the words Weapon-Free-Zone above the pistol.

There was no other wording, no red line or any type of line going through the pistol. There was nothing showing an Arizona Legal Statute.

I went back and stowed my gun in the car. Was this a legal sign for me not to carry ? It did not say now guns allowed, just a weapon free zone ?
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

It wouldn't be here in SC.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Those signs are meaningless in TN
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Doesn't mean a thing in Florida.

VIP Member
    Probably not legal, but Ikea is known to be very anti... considering it's european ownership it's not surprising...
    They won't get any of my money anyway...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post

As we were walking into the store, there was a Black and White sign that had a a picture of a pistol with the words Weapon-Free-Zone above the pistol.

There was no other wording, no red line or any type of line going through the pistol. There was nothing showing an Arizona Legal Statute.

I went back and stowed my gun in the car. Was this a legal sign for me not to carry ? It did not say now guns allowed, just a weapon free zone ?
    Was it a pistol or a revolver in the 'red circle'? Just carry the opposite...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The store is private property, and can post it in any manner they like. The worst that could happen is you'd be asked to leave with the threat of trespass if you came back. Don't confuse proper posting with our new law permitting concealed guns in bars/restaurants. If they want to forbid weapons, there are very specific criteria they must follow, including specific signs and placement.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    After reading this thread I vowed to never cross the threshold of an Ikea store.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...anti-rtba.html
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You do mean the store in Tempe, right?

Been there lots of times, seen the quaint little "weapon-free zone" zone which carries no specifics and no references to AZ statutes. I definitely would not openly carry in that store, but that sign never stopped me from going in there carrying concealed. To me, at least, it's a non-issue. In the unlikely event that store personnel were to observe that I'm armed and I'm asked to leave, no problem - I'll leave. In the meantime, I'll just carry on as I have been doing.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

"Weapon Free Zone" -- Ikea in Mesa AZ

Was this a legal sign for me not to carry ?
    Depends on Arizona law.

1. Does Arizona have a statute that specifies, like Texas, a certain type/format of sign has legal weight?

2. Does Arizona have a statute that specifies such a sign is the equivalent of being asked to leave (if you're armed) by the property owner?

If not, then you're fine.

In Oregon, there is no legal weight to such signs. They simply mean the property owner has a policy of disarming armed customers. It doesn't mean that you're a criminal if caught, criminally trespassing if caught, negligent for having missed the signs, or even a bad person for outright ignoring the silly things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Whether it is a legally binding sign or not would be irrelevant to me. If they don't want me in there armed, they don't want me in there spending my money. I would have not disarmed, I would have taken the wife and left. Done it before and won't hesitate to do it again.

I dont think it matters if its the "legal" signage or not. If they are posting it "No Weapons" that means NO WEAPONS. Why chance it. Not worth a possible tresspassing charge.....I'd take my business elsewhere.
    1stSgt. U.S.M.C. (Ret)(1974-1995)
    Semper Fi !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett View Post
    I dont think it matters if its the "legal" signage or not. If they are posting it "No Weapons" that means NO WEAPONS.
    Well, that's exactly the point. In a state where such signs hold legal weight, they say you're a criminal if you choose to cross that line armed. Otherwise, such signs merely say that a company has a policy of wishing customers were unarmed.

As to whether a customer chooses to go elsewhere because of the obvious anti-American sentiment, that's something else entirely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Good to know, I won't shop there. ~
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    This rant is not intended for anyone specifically here, but if it applies, use it.

I love those who say, dang the sign, go in armed no matter what, it doesn't state specifically no weapons or this or that, go ahead, stand up for your rights, show them they can't tell you, you can't carry in their store, they can't tell you what to do.

Just remember as you sit in jail reflecting on the situation that you stood up for your rights over such a ridiculous sign, I'll be out here enjoying my freedom, still carrying and going into friendly stores that don't care or welcome a armed citizen.

Learn the laws of your state and you won't have to wonder about it.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links