Driving through Mass

Driving through Mass

This is a discussion on Driving through Mass within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without a permit, how do you travel through Mass?...

Thread: Driving through Mass

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

Driving through Mass

Without a permit, how do you travel through Mass?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I lock my pistol in it's case and put it in the trunk and I put the ammo in the glove compartment. But I generally I avoid Mass by going through Vermont via upstate NY.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 allows "safe passage" through restrictive areas (New York City, NY, NJ, MA) if the firearms and ammunition are locked in the trunk of the vehicle, unloaded, and the guns are separated from any ammunition. The law allows for "brief stops" but doesn't define what those are, so that's open to interpretation by local law enforcement.

Basically, if you have a legal right to possess or use your firearm at your destination, you may lawfully pass through more restrictive states and jurisdictions en route to or from your home state (legal possession and use in your home state is presumed).

Realistically, I would not stop for food or even fuel in MA unless I absolutely had to, and I would be highly attentive to traffic regs and speed limits while passing through. Don't give them the opportunity to make your life miserable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Realistically, I would not stop for food or even fuel in MA unless I absolutely had to, and I would be highly attentive to traffic regs and speed limits while passing through. Don't give them the opportunity to make your life miserable.
    I agree. Fuel up before you go into Mass and obey the traffic laws as best as you can. But I have made this trip several times. Nothing to be to worried about....just be smart and have a safe trip.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quickly and without stopping if possible!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 allows "safe passage" through restrictive areas (New York City, NY, NJ, MA) if the firearms and ammunition are locked in the trunk of the vehicle, unloaded, and the guns are separated from any ammunition. The law allows for "brief stops" but doesn't define what those are, so that's open to interpretation by local law enforcement.

Basically, if you have a legal right to possess or use your firearm at your destination, you may lawfully pass through more restrictive states and jurisdictions en route to or from your home state (legal possession and use in your home state is presumed).

Yes.

My wifes family lives in RI, we go to visit and I go hunting there as well. Since I am in NH, MA is inconveniently directly in my way. However, I have moved a lot of guns through The Nazi-Peoples Commomsuck and only been questioned once when an officer noticed and empty ammo box on my front seat while I was getting lunch.

Much to my surprise, when I talked to him about it, he was very reasonable (I am not even hinting at the fact that anyone else will be, generally you can count on a good hassle...) but he asked if there were firearms in the vehicle, I said there was. He asked if he could see them, I asked if I was under a legal obligation to show him, he said yes, so I opened up the trunk and showed him 2 shotguns, a rifle and a handgun, all properly stowed. I unlocked my ammo case and showed him that too.

The biggest thing he had a problem with was my CRKT M16-14 pocket knife, whose blade is apparently 1/8" too long for MA.

I don't know if it helped or not, but I had a non-res hunting licence in MA and RI at the time.

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 allows "safe passage" through restrictive areas (New York City, NY, NJ, MA) if the firearms and ammunition are locked in the trunk of the vehicle, unloaded, and 1. the guns are separated from any ammunition. 2. The law allows for "brief stops" but doesn't define what those are, so that's open to interpretation by local law enforcement.

1. Where is the requirement to separate the guns from the ammo?

2. Where is the allowance for brief stops?

US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

18 USC 926a:
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    but he asked if there were firearms in the vehicle, I said there was. He asked if he could see them, I asked if I was under a legal obligation to show him, he said yes,
    He lied to you on that one, Meplat.

I haven't figured out how to move through something with mass yet but for moving through time I use a heavily modified DeLorean.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    The biggest thing he had a problem with was my CRKT M16-14 pocket knife, whose blade is apparently 1/8" too long for MA.

I know this is really not the thread for this but just wondering what is the max blade length that you would be legal in any state?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

jon
    Locked + unloaded in the trunk.
    If it is on your person you better have that $100/yr non-res LTC.

Sponsored Links