Moving to NC---Questions on transporting my firearms

This is a discussion on Moving to NC---Questions on transporting my firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hubs Why bother? You are moving and leaving the state of RI. Put them in a safe and secure place in your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to NC---Questions on transporting my firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Why bother? You are moving and leaving the state of RI. Put them in a safe and secure place in your vehicle and....GO! Once you arrive in NC, you can straighten things out!
    Here's your answer.
    (My wife and I have moved 25 times in 38 years.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

You don`t need a FFl to move your guns here.Nor do you need to contact the sheriff in the county you are moving to.The only time the sheriff gets involved is when you want to buy a new handgun[you must have a pistol permit]and when you want to get your concealed carry permit.Y`all come on down south and play golf all year long.Hear?
    My child is a Honor Student at Camp Polk Correctional Facility.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    Hello to all----would appreciate your input.

I am moving from RI to NC mid January. I will be needing to ship my firearms from a FFL here in RI to a FFL near my NC destination for legal interstate transport. I plan on applying for my CCW in NC shortly after my arrival (no reciprocity with RI).

My question is this: Will I have any problems picking up my firearms from the NC FFL without 1st having a NC drivers license, NC CCW, NC safety course, or any established residency in the state?

Thanks and be well,

WJP9
    It is not necessary for you to ship your guns from an FFL in RI to an FFL in NC or any other state. You already own the guns. As long as they are all registered you can quite easily ship them to yourself or another however you wish. You may Reference The ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (white book for FFL's) or call your local ATF field office. You can also pack the guns with your other belongings and transport them yourself. Passing through some states requires that your guns be locked and unloaded in a separate compartment from the drivers compartment. This usually means the trunk. In a pick-up truck, a utility box in the bed works well. In an SUV, the law get a bit muddy since there is no separate compartment. Many states have peaceful passage laws in place others do not. Check your route ahead with State Police of the state you pass through to make sure if in doubt.

UPS Ground will probably be least expensive method of shipping. You can also use USPS or FedEx Air. Ammo is best only be shipped by UPS Ground. Hasmat fees will apply.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    It is not necessary for you to ship your guns from an FFL in RI to an FFL in NC or any other state. You already own the guns. 1. As long as they are all registered you can quite easily ship them to yourself 2. or another 3. however you wish. You may Reference The ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (white book for FFL's) or call your local ATF field office. You can also pack the guns with your other belongings and transport them yourself. Passing through some states requires that your guns be locked and unloaded in a separate compartment from the drivers compartment. This usually means the trunk. In a pick-up truck, a utility box in the bed works well. In an SUV, the law get a bit muddy since there is no separate compartment. Many states have peaceful passage laws in place others do not. 4. Check your route ahead with State Police of the state you pass through to make sure if in doubt.

5. UPS Ground will probably be least expensive method of shipping. You can also 6. use USPS or FedEx Air. Ammo is best only be shipped by UPS Ground. 7. Hasmat fees will apply.
    1. There is no gun registration in Rhode Island, nor in North Carolina (except Durham County requires handguns to be registered once residency is established there).

2. It is a violation of Federal law to ship a firearm to a resident of another state. The firearm(s) may be shipped to oneself, in care of another person, but not to just "anyone else".

3. Private parties cannot mail handguns via USPS. FEDEX and UPS all have company policies regulating their method of shipping. Whether you choose to follow their company policies is up to you, but you can't just ship firearms "however you wish".

4. There is no need to check with the state police of different states. 18 USC 926a, Firearms Owners Protection Act, overrides state law and as long as the requirements of 18 USC 926a are met, everything should be easy with no hassle.

5. Again, UPS has it's company policies regarding shipping of firearms. If you want to follow their policy, UPS ground is not an option for handguns.

6. Only FFL's can mail handguns via USPS.

7. "HASMAT" fees do NOT apply to small arms ammunition. Neither do HAZMAT fees.

Whay chane them getting lost in the postal service. When I moved to NC from Communist CA I simply loaded my entire gun safe in the 18 wheeler and off we went!! I also had about 15K loaded rounds of ammunition and 16lbs of powder, 10K of various primers!!! But it was all locked in the 18 wheeler and my buddy was the truck driver. Where are you moving to in NC? You will love it here!! Best move I ever did for my family, it's awesome living in a FREE state!!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I'm getting ready to take my collection of about 20 firearms (and ammo and safe) from VA to my brother's house in Missouri in light of my pending PCS to Germany this spring....no FFL needed....I'm loading them up in the back of a U-Haul...and going...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You can not;
    Possess a Handgun in New York City or Washington DC.
    Possess a Firearm inside Washington DC - Not up for a Heller Debate folks.
    Possess Hollow Point ammunition in the state of New Jersey.
    Go across NY State and turn south into Pennsylvania....no worries.
    Other than that, welcome to the SOUTH!
    In NC we have open carry but you have to have a CCH permit to carry concealed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    1. There is no gun registration in Rhode Island, nor in North Carolina (except Durham County requires handguns to be registered once residency is established there).

2. It is a violation of Federal law to ship a firearm to a resident of another state. The firearm(s) may be shipped to oneself, in care of another person, but not to just "anyone else". You got me there you can only ship to a licencee out of state.
    3. Private parties cannot mail handguns via USPS. FEDEX and UPS all have company policies regulating their method of shipping. Whether you choose to follow their company policies is up to you, but you can't just ship firearms "however you wish". It is not my nomal way of trasport but it can be done. See 49 C.F.R. 173.59
    4. There is no need to check with the state police of different states. 18 USC 926a, Firearms Owners Protection Act, overrides state law and as long as the requirements of 18 USC 926a are met, everything should be easy with no hassle. Probably not required but no reason not to to inquire
    5. Again, UPS has it's company policies regarding shipping of firearms. If you want to follow their policy, UPS ground is not an option for handguns. Again, See C.F.R. 173.59 and C.F.R. 172.
    These terms and conditions are stated by UPS.

6. Only FFL's can mail handguns via USPS. We have experimented with it. You may be correct about this.
    7. "HASMAT" fees do NOT apply to small arms ammunition. Neither do HAZMAT fees.
    I beg your pardon here. If you can find any shipper willing to send ammo not properly marked, send me their name. Again, C.F.R. 172.315 applies here. I am charged UPS HAS Mat fees for all ammo shipments UPS Ground and the only way I ship ammo..
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I beg your pardon here. If you can find any shipper willing to send ammo not properly marked, send me their name. Again, C.F.R. 172.315 applies here. I am charged UPS HAS Mat fees for all ammo shipments UPS Ground and the only way I ship ammo..
    Then you are marking it incorrectly and paying extra fees. Gunpowder and primers are HAZMAT and charged the HAZMAT fee. Assembled ammunition and primed brass gets marked ORM-D and are not charged the HAZMAT fee (UNLESS it is shipped via air). You don't even know that it is HAZMAT - Hazardous Material and not HASMAT - what does that stand for?

A simple example of this by a major retailer:
    Graf & Sons -

Hazardous Materials
    Q: What is your hazardous material fee?

A: A hazardous materials fee (haz mat fee) of $22.50 is charged to any ground order containing powder, primers, fuse or gun cleaning liquids over 1 quart. This fee is per package with a max gross weight of 70 lbs/package. Smokeless powder and primers can be combined (up to 50 lbs) under 1 haz mat fee. Black powder requires a separate fee and cannot be combined with any other hazardous materials. Hazardous Materials require an adult signature for delivery. ID may be required at delivery for proof of age. See Terms and Conditions for more details.

Q: What is the minimum quantity of powder/primers I can order?

A: The minimum order of powder is 4 lbs. The minimum order for primers is 1,000 primers.

Q: Is the haz mat fee required for ammunition?

A: The haz mat fee does not apply to ammunition unless shipped via air ($32.50).

Anybody can take a shipment of assembled ammunition, mark the box ORM-D in crayon if they want to and ship it via UPS ground for no extra HAZMAT fee.

Since you like to read CFRs, you need to read 49 CFR 173.63:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....25.14&idno=49

§ 173.63 Packaging exceptions.

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section. For transportation by aircraft, the package must also comply with the applicable requirements of §173.27 of this subchapter. Such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material are limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;

(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;

(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;

(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices.

(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:

(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;

(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;

(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;

(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per package; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Then you are marking it incorrectly and paying extra fees. Gunpowder and primers are HAZMAT and charged the HAZMAT fee. Assembled ammunition and primed brass gets marked ORM-D and are not charged the HAZMAT fee (UNLESS it is shipped via air). You don't even know that it is HAZMAT - Hazardous Material and not HASMAT - what does that stand for?

A simple example of this by a major retailer:
    Graf & Sons -

Hazardous Materials
    Q: What is your hazardous material fee?

A: A hazardous materials fee (haz mat fee) of $22.50 is charged to any ground order containing powder, primers, fuse or gun cleaning liquids over 1 quart. This fee is per package with a max gross weight of 70 lbs/package. Smokeless powder and primers can be combined (up to 50 lbs) under 1 haz mat fee. Black powder requires a separate fee and cannot be combined with any other hazardous materials. Hazardous Materials require an adult signature for delivery. ID may be required at delivery for proof of age. See Terms and Conditions for more details.

Q: What is the minimum quantity of powder/primers I can order?

A: The minimum order of powder is 4 lbs. The minimum order for primers is 1,000 primers.

Q: Is the haz mat fee required for ammunition?

A: The haz mat fee does not apply to ammunition unless shipped via air ($32.50).

Anybody can take a shipment of assembled ammunition, mark the box ORM-D in crayon if they want to and ship it via UPS ground for no extra HAZMAT fee.

Since you like to read CFRs, you need to read 49 CFR 173.63:
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

§ 173.63 Packaging exceptions.

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section. For transportation by aircraft, the package must also comply with the applicable requirements of §173.27 of this subchapter. Such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material are limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;

(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;

(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;

(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices.

(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:

(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;

(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;

(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;

(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per package; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.
    I deal with Graf & sons very often for Primers. I will check further into the valauable information you have told me. Thanks!
    - Zen Saying

I deal with Graf & sons very often for Primers. I will check further into the valauable information you have told me. Thanks!
    Glad to help. Sorry if I came off a bit too strongly, I tend to do that. I've purchased plenty of ammo from online sources and it is just a standard shipping charge and UPS leaves the package at my door just like any other package and there is only an ORM-D sticker on the box, otherwise it is always just like anything else I order.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links