Moving to NC---Questions on transporting my firearms

This is a discussion on Moving to NC---Questions on transporting my firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to all----would appreciate your input. I am moving from RI to NC mid January. I will be needing to ship my firearms from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to NC---Questions on transporting my firearms

Moving to NC---Questions on transporting my firearms

Hello to all----would appreciate your input.

I am moving from RI to NC mid January. I will be needing to ship my firearms from a FFL here in RI to a FFL near my NC destination for legal interstate transport. I plan on applying for my CCW in NC shortly after my arrival (no reciprocity with RI).

My question is this: Will I have any problems picking up my firearms from the NC FFL without 1st having a NC drivers license, NC CCW, NC safety course, or any established residency in the state?

Thanks and be well,

WJP9
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

I would contact the local Sheriff's Department in the County you are moving to. I would also think that the FFL you are using could answer that question. Please let us know what you find out.
    "Rhino"

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    Hello to all----would appreciate your input.

I am moving from RI to NC mid January. I will be needing to ship my firearms from a FFL here in RI to a FFL near my NC destination for legal interstate transport. I plan on applying for my CCW in NC shortly after my arrival (no reciprocity with RI).

My question is this: Will I have any problems picking up my firearms from the NC FFL without 1st having a NC drivers license, NC CCW, NC safety course, or any established residency in the state?

Thanks and be well,

WJP9

I will be needing to ship my firearms from a FFL here in RI to a FFL near my NC destination for legal interstate transport.

WHY?

Will I have any problems picking up my firearms from the NC FFL without 1st having a NC drivers license, NC CCW, NC safety course, or any established residency in the state?

You SHOULD be able to retrieve your rifles with a RI driver's license because of the 18 USC (b)(3) exception for long guns.

Your handguns are going to be a HUGE problem. You will need to obtain a North Carolina Handgun Purchase Permit for EACH handgun you desire to retrieve from the FFL. They are issued by the county Sherrif. You will have to comply with all the requirements for that, which, I believe involve references, length of residency, a NC ID... you won't be getting your handguns for quite a while.

Why in the world do you think you need to go FFL to FFL with these guns? That is the worst possible thing I can think of doing.

You don't need any special permits to own a firearm in NC and there is no firearm registration EXCEPT in Durham County and they register handguns as I understand it.

You do need a purchase permit or a CCW to buy or transfer ownership of a firearm in NC though. I would have to guess that there should not be any issue picking up your own guns from a FFL seeing that you are not transferring ownership but you should talk to an FFL about your scenario.

When I moved here from Florida I just put the unloaded guns in the car and went.

If I may ask, where are you moving to in NC?

Federal Transportation Gun Laws

You do not have to use FFL's to transport guns. Guns in the trunk in cases and ammonition seperate from the guns. Magazines empty. Here is a link to read about the Federal Transportation law.

NRA-ILA ::

Quote Originally Posted by rlkraatz View Post
    You do not have to use FFL's to transport guns. Guns in the trunk 1. in cases and 2. ammonition seperate from the guns. 3. Magazines empty. Here is a link to read about the Federal Transportation law.

NRA-ILA ::
    Statements 1, 2, and 3 above are NOT required by the Federal law. In fact, if you have the unloaded guns in the trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment you are violating the Federal law.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/1...6---A000-.html

18 USC 926a:
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Ship them to yourself

Also, if transportation is a problem, you can ship the firearms to yourself in care of another person (does not have to be an FFL). The receiving person should be instructed to not open the packages.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods?

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

Good info in these replies; hope the OP reads the follow-up and avoids the FFL route.

(As a transplanted Rhode Islander, I also hope the OP is moving to NC in order to open an Italian deli/bakery...can't get a decent spinach pie or grinder around here!)
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Thanks for the replies. I will need to do some follow-up in days to follow to choose the best option. I was advised by my FFL that I had to ship the firearms to another FFL...however, I certainly don't want my handguns to be held up in a mess of red tape if there is another legal option for transport....nor do I care to pay uneccessary transfer fees.

Looks like having the firearms disassembled and in locked safes (in the uhaul?) without any ammo may be the way to go according to the listed fed reg.

On the Italian bakery note, I hung up my chef's knives years ago for a different profession....but I tell people "it's like the mob...when you're in, you're in for life...." we'll see what happens.

Again---thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by WJP9; November 30th, 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: mistype
    -Bill

VIP Member
    Thanks for the replies. I will need to do some follow-up in days to follow to choose the best option. I was advised by my FFL that I had to ship the firearms to another FFL...however, I certainly don't want my handguns to be held up in a mess of red tape if there is another legal option for transport....nor do I care to pay uneccessary transfer fees.

Looks like having the firearms disassembled and in locked safes (in the uhaul?) without any ammo may be the way to go according to the listed fed reg.

On the Italian bakery note, I hung up my chef's knives years ago for a different profession....but I tell people "it's like the mob...when you're in, you're in for life...." we'll see what happens.

Bring them on down yourself

If you own the firearms and they are standard rifles and pistols (nothing that is regulated by ATF), then you can move them yourself. I have moved a lot even to California before and I just put them in the truck, unloaded ammo in the same truck and moved, just not in the weapon. It sound like your FFL is trying to take your money.

You are making this WAAAAYYYYY too difficult. Put the unloaded guns and the ammo in the back of the UHaul, lock the UHaul and GO! THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO TO BE LEGAL! There is no need for being locked in a safe, no need for disassembly, you can take any ammo with you, you don't need any FFL's.

IF you do HAPPEN to get stopped on the way, and if the cop HAPPENS to ask you if there are weapons in the vehicle, you tell the cop you are transporting your own personal unloaded firearms in the back of the truck, period. If he asks to look in the back of the truck, the answer is NO, period. You have no legal obligation whatsoever to submit to any search of the vehicle unless you do something really stupid like screech to a halt in front of a Federal building, jump out of the truck shouting JIHAD and run like hell.

Seriously, it is PERFECTLY LEGAL just to put the unloaded guns and ammo in the back of the truck and not worry about it. If you really want to be anal, load them in first so they are buried underneath everything else.

I know. I move every three years in the military and have done 13-15 firearms, 3000-4000 rounds of ammo, a couple thousand primers, and about 40 lbs of gunpowder in the back of a truck, no problem at all, twice, half-way across the US each time.

Whoever told you that you had to go FFL to FFL was either a complete idiot or was looking to make money off of you.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You are making this WAAAAYYYYY too difficult. Put the unloaded guns and the ammo in the back of the UHaul, lock the UHaul and GO! THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO TO BE LEGAL! There is no need for being locked in a safe, no need for disassembly, you can take any ammo with you, you don't need any FFL's.

IF you do HAPPEN to get stopped on the way, and if the cop HAPPENS to ask you if there are weapons in the vehicle, you tell the cop you are transporting your own personal unloaded firearms in the back of the truck, period. If he asks to look in the back of the truck, the answer is NO, period.

Seriously, it is PERFECTLY LEGAL just to put the unloaded guns and ammo in the back of the truck and not worry about it. If you really want to be anal, load them in first so they are buried underneath everything else.

I know. I move every three years in the military and have done 13-15 firearms, 3000-4000 rounds of ammo, a couple thousand primers, and about 40 lbs of gunpowder in the back of a truck, no problem at all, twice, half-way across the US each time.

Whoever told you that you had to go FFL to FFL was either a complete idiot or was looking to make money off of you.
    You have to understand where I am coming from: RI firearms laws are insanely strict...transport in the state for a non-CCW is limited to:

1. Gun store to home
    2. Home to range and directly back
    Both disassembled, locked, with ammo seperate

CCW here involved LOADS of red tape and I was fortunate to be able to carry in the "may issue" Ocean State.....The need for proper planning stems from that and other experiences here. Another + for the move to NC. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Last edited by WJP9; November 30th, 2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    -Bill

I am not sure who told you that it had to be disassembled and locked up with no ammo. That is not what Rhode Island Statute 11-47-9 says.

11-47-9

§ 11-47-9 Persons exempt from restrictions. – The provisions of § 11-47-8 shall not apply to ... the regular and/or ordinary transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, nor to any person while transporting a pistol, or revolvers, unloaded from the place of purchase to their residence, or place of business, from their residence to their place of business or from their place of business to their residence, or to a Federal Firearms licensee for the purpose of sale, to or from a bona fide gunsmith, or firearms repair facility, to any police station or other location designated as a site of a bona fide "gun buy-back" program but only if said pistol or revolver is unloaded and any ammunition for said pistol or revolver is not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such vehicle while transporting same and further provided that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment the firearm or the ammunition shall be stored in a locked container.
    According to actual Rhode Island statute, the method of transport is exactly the same as in Federal law which requires neither disassembly of the firearm, nor locking up of the firearm (if it is not in the passenger compartment), nor the separation of ammunition from the firearm.

According to Rhode Island statute 11-47-51, magazines for rifles and shotguns must be unloaded in a vehicle:

11-47-51

§ 11-47-51 Loaded weapons in vehicles. – It is unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun or a rifle or shotgun from the magazine of which all shells and cartridges have not been removed in or on any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments while upon or along any public highway, road, lane, or trail within this state
    Anyway, do whatever you feel has to be done to get out of Rhode Island! Best of luck to you...

Why bother? You are moving and leaving the state of RI. Put them in a safe and secure place in your vehicle and....GO! Once you arrive in NC, you can straighten things out!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links