No Weapon Signs

No Weapon Signs

This is a discussion on No Weapon Signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are some States like Texas that have specific signage banning weapons, a.k.a 30.06 and there are many States that do not have such laws. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Weapon Signs

Question No Weapon Signs

There are some States like Texas that have specific signage banning weapons, a.k.a 30.06 and there are many States that do not have such laws.

So, my question is.....Would you like your State legislature to initiate and pass signage laws where current laws do not exist?

I live in Louisiana (not by choice). The State Assembly is about to take up the non-resident Florida permit deal during the next session. While that are at it, what is you opinion in putting a bug in their ear to pass signage laws. Is it better to leave the subject vague or have specific laws?
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I would have to know more about the laws of La?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

No, I shall not once again post that "Did Forza Coffee Shop have gun-ban sign?", a better letter that could and should be printed by better editors...but probably will not be you see.

I lived in Texas and now live in Idaho so I have experienced both sides of this issue. I kind of like the signage laws but when it comes down to it I don't. At least if the law is like it is in Idaho.
    In Texas a person would have to post a specific sign that meets certain requirements in order to post a place. If you have you CHL and ignore the sign you could get arrested and/or fined. I remember seeing places posted with the legal signs and with the illegal (which you could ignore) Unlicensed pos of a weapon.... signs. Every gas station had an unlicensed possession sign.
    Now in Idaho there are no sign laws. Even if there was a sign it is not as serious offense as it would be in Texas if you ignored it. There are no signs for you to not see and get arrested if you failed to obey. All they can do up here is ask you to leave the premises. If you don't then you can get a trespassing charge. As a result I have not seen a single place posted with any kind of sign trying to bar firearms.
    So when it comes down to it I prefer not having any kind of sign law. Life is actually easier without it and it is one less legal liability to have to worry about.

How many gun haters whine about such signs?

How many gun haters whine about such signs?
    Attached Images

Better off without the signs. In Mississippi the person having control over the property can tell you "no guns". But if you are concealed why would they even bring it up.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I lived in Texas and now live in Idaho so I have experienced both sides of this issue. I kind of like the signage laws but when it comes down to it I don't. At least if the law is like it is in Idaho.
    In Texas a person would have to post a specific sign that meets certain requirements in order to post a place. If you have you CHL and ignore the sign you could get arrested and/or fined. I remember seeing places posted with the legal signs and with the illegal (which you could ignore) Unlicensed pos of a weapon.... signs. Every gas station had an unlicensed possession sign.
    Now in Idaho there are no sign laws. Even if there was a sign it is not as serious offense as it would be in Texas if you ignored it. There are no signs for you to not see and get arrested if you failed to obey. All they can do up here is ask you to leave the premises. If you don't then you can get a trespassing charge. As a result I have not seen a single place posted with any kind of sign trying to bar firearms.
    So when it comes down to it I prefer not having any kind of sign law. Life is actually easier without it and it is one less legal liability to have to worry about.
    And yet another reason I wan to move to Couer D'Alene
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

I remember seeing places posted with the legal signs and with the illegal (which you could ignore) Unlicensed pos of a weapon.... signs. Every gas station had an unlicensed possession sign.
    I have rarely seen an improperly posted "unlicensed possession. . ." sign here in Texas. Almost every gas station is required to post them because they sell beer and wine.

My daughter's Pediatrician's office has an improperly posted "gunbuster" sign. I carry there regularly. I'm pretty sure he has "made" me because my carry gun is a G21SF and it prints real bad if I have to bend over (holding a todler down for a shot..etc) but printing is legal here and so is concealed carry as long as you have not been given "effective notice". Effective notice is either verbal communication OR a sign that properly conforms to the 30.06 standard. No other sign is "effective notice" The doc has never given me a verbal notice so I will carry there.

Grapevine Mills mall has a properly posted 30.06 sign that I have had to turn around and store my Glock in my car before proceeding. We havent been back. I wont support any business that is a safe zone for gun toting criminals
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

VIP Member
    We have what ever sign they post, so a standard sign might be good.

sorry folks, in this one SINGLE instance, WA has it correct.
    there is a list of places that you are not allowed to carry.
    middle school, high school, restricted area of airports, restricted area of jails, court house, any reservation without writen permition. and one dumb item added. outdoor concerts that hold more then xx people in a permanent location (the gorge). eather then those you are free to carry. you may be asked by a property owner to leave but your not breaking the law.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Why would you want those signs in your state??
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

No more laws of any kind, why persue sinage...let it go!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't want anyone stepping on my rights, so I won't step on a business owners right.

In CO the sign means squat (I have yet to see one). My choice to patronize or not. If I get made/caught, they have to tell me to leave etc.

Now for the Official Gov't locations and so on, I would prefer the word "illegal" inserted before the word firearm/weapon and/or possession, just as I would prefer my companies policy inserted the same word in the same place.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Queensidecas View Post
    My daughter's Pediatrician's office has an improperly posted "gunbuster" sign. I carry there regularly. I'm pretty sure he has "made" me because my carry gun is a G21SF and it prints real bad if I have to bend over (holding a todler down for a shot..etc) but printing is legal here and so is concealed carry as long as you have not been given "effective notice". Effective notice is either verbal communication OR a sign that properly conforms to the 30.06 standard. No other sign is "effective notice" The doc has never given me a verbal notice so I will carry there.
    My Doctors office has a similar (incorrect) sign, but is connected by an open drive-thru covered walkway to a Hospital.....I was unsure whether it would be legal to carry or not, so I left my weapon in the car.

Any thoughts?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links