Physical Activity Carry Question

This is a discussion on Physical Activity Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've yet to find a good carry solution for carrying while doing intense physical activity... In the past few months my long runs have gotten ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've yet to find a good carry solution for carrying while doing intense physical activity...

In the past few months my long runs have gotten pretty long (hour plus) and I have to do it after work at night. Also, this winter I plan to do some long snowshoeing outings.

These activities take me into some questionable areas and I'm hoping I might get feedback from anyone carries while running/walking/snowshoeing/etc.

My mtac w/g23 simply doesn't work.

The point of carrying is so you don't have to run.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Probably a fannypack or one of those Alaskan chest holsters is what you want.

MJK

Thumbs up Try a Mountainsmith Vibe II Fanny Pack

I found a good solution to this dilemma last week. Stopped by REI in St. Louis and purchased a Mountainsmith Vibe II fanny pack for $24.95. Shortly thereafter I zipped my XD45 compact into the pack and took off for a 16 mile run.

Results were great! Weapon was held close and did not bounce. After doing the distance (about 2 hours) my back was not sore at all.

Access was also easy. Yank the zipper with my weak hand, reach in and draw. Not as fast as OWB, but hey...it worked. And it didn't break the bank.

Good luck.

thanks MJK. I will check it out.

On long runs I already run with a Golite fanny pack for gel packs, keys, cell.
    It will take some getting used to, but I'll try a beefier lumbar pack.

Camelback make a unit with a pocket.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Camelback make a unit with a pocket.
    Camelbak Goblin fanny pack...has a holster and a liquid bladder...great for running...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The Safepacker from Wilderness Tactical is functionally good, but you need to supply your own belt, and there's not room for much more than a gun and a spare magazine (I think a wallet and keys would fit).

This is something I've tried to figure out myself and haven't really come to a better compromise than a fanny pack. I already started a thread on this earlier this year, here is the link.

The bottom line with most of my responses seemed to be fanny pack or SmartCarry. I haven't given in and purchased a SmartCarry yet, at this time I'm carrying my S&W J Frame .38 in the outer pocket of my North Face runners jacket. It's got a cinch cord that keeps the jacket snug around your waist and keeps bouncing to a minimum. I'd really rather have my XD 9mm with me but until I get a fanny pack with a holster it's not practical.

Sadly, everyone recommended the Camelbak Goblin which doesn't seem to be sold anymore. I can't find it online and my local Camelbak dealer couldn't find any listing for it in their system.

Best of luck and stay safe running!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

I can't comment on running per say, but I ordered a "Guide's Choice" holster for hiking, riding a quad/ snowmobile, and that style of outdoor activity. Might work for running, but I've never tried it for that.

This works for me.

I bicycle for fun, and commute to work on occasion. Armed always.

My favorite rig is an aluminum J-frame with Crimson Trace grips. Blackhawk makes a CQB holster that locks the J-frame securely, and
    is polymer - not affected by sweat. It has a large, flexible paddle that screws to the holster, but leaves a gap or slot that allows a 1 inch nylon web belt with a Fastex buckle to be permanently attached through the CQB. This belt holds the paddle tightly to my hip at 4:00. The revolver stays in place while pedaling and has held tight during two crashes.

I wear two shirts. The first is polypropylene or other nylon type t-shirt that is tucked into my cycling shorts. The holster paddle rides between the waistband of my shorts and the shirt. The skin is protected from the paddle, and the handgun. The outer cycling jersey is bright colored, with pockets in back that hold two speedloaders, CHL, cell phone (which all create lumps that disguise the revolver under the jersey.)

The handgun is immediately available by pulling up the jersey over the holster with my left hand. Very lightweight. No corrosion issues with sweat, although the finish has taken a beating from vibrating inside the Blackhawk. I have been running with this rig, but use a small fanny pack to hold the cell phone, CHL and reloads.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Haha!
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links