Odd dude at WM

Odd dude at WM

This is a discussion on Odd dude at WM within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure where to post this, so it is here. Just curious as to what you all think; did I do the right thing, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd dude at WM

VIP Member

Odd dude at WM

Not sure where to post this, so it is here. Just curious as to what you all think; did I do the right thing, and what do you make of this "happening."

I was checking out at WM and the fellow immediately in front of me at the cashier caught my attention, by which I mean my brain immediately said, "weird dude looks nuts." He was about my age *mid 60s* and looked like he hadn't laughed in the last 50 years and was on a hair trigger for a tantrum. Though, in reality, he was behaving himself appropriately and was quiet and not giving the cashier a hard time--- except:

As I looked at him I noticed 3 items dangling from his belt. One was obviously a Blackberry or similar. Another, I couldn't make out. On his belt, attached and extending upward a tad, was a small leather holster that looked like it was hardly large enough for an LCP. It had a cover that snapped down on the side of the holster so no gun was visible.
    It was not possible to know one way or the other if he had a gun in there. On the holster was a star, which may have been decoration but which left me with the impression that he was trying to convey LE or trying a variation on the CC badge.

Anyway, he was wearing a button down hunter's style shirt, the kind you normally would tuck into your pants. It was not tucked in EXCEPT where the holster was, and there the shirt was tucked in back of the holster. That is, the holster was deliberately made visible over the shirt instead of being hidden by the shirt. In other words, he was clearly making it plain to anyone who looked that the holster was exposed.

My take was this was a "dare me" pose and intended to be intimidating. (Texas is not an open carry state.) Now, since the gun wasn't visible, and for all I know he had nothing but an old cell phone in that leather holster, he certainly was not violating the concealed carry law. He wasn't brandishing. There wasn't intentional display, and yet--- he was making a statement.

I decided to ignore it because I could think of no reason to call the cops, but deep down I'm feeling like this guy is going to get himself into trouble. I sort of think maybe "old timers disease" and an attitude are at play.

Curious what you all think about this and if you think I should have or could have done something differently, like notify the police.

I guess the closest analogy I can think of would be someone carrying a gun in a fanny pack that just screamed "gun" and the guy looked like he was deliberately doing that to intimidate. Not OC, technically concealed, but still out there in your face.

Maybe that's where he carries his derringer shaped cigarette lighter.

As to the unknown item on the belt, my guess, light saber.

If he's in his mid 60s as you say, he's old enough to be half as stupid. I would have just kept a good eye on him while going on about my business. Not much else you could do. Not much in Walmart surprises me these days.

If I'm in WalMart that means I'm off duty.

If he's not a threat to me and mine, I don't care if he's naked and making snow angels in the Christmas Wrapping aisle. In short, not my concern.

Biker

Maybe he thinks he should be able to OC and that IS his statement. Who knows. Might have kept an eye on him, though I am in an OC state.

Biker thanks for the laugh. I won't be able to keep a straight face when I pass the wrapping paper now!

VIP Member
    I'd have left him alone...You know how those 'old timers' are...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

For me this is funny coz I think I know that guy! JK, but I do know a guy in his mid sixties who lives here in Texas who matches that sort of description. He wears a small leather pouch on his belt with a star on it, kinda cowboy looking overall. Its actually just a change pouch and conversation maker in reality.

To me, if he's not being a threat I don't worry. I'm sure people look at me sideways at Walmart in the middle of the night wearing a kilt and buying Lunchables, kid clothes and stuff for the cars. To me it sounds like some random guy living another day of what he deems a normal life.

Alex!

Well, I've just got two things to say. A lot of folks you'll see at WM are sort of "odd". A lot of folks I've seen from Texas are the same way. Nothing personal, just my opinion and experience. Darrel........you on this forum?

VIP Member

Carry at WM

Mid 60' or 80's, It is your right to carry but nothing else unless your life is threatened. LEO's still serve a purpose. Let them do their job. Your cell phone can be your best defense. Call a Cop and then walk away or run for cover. Shooting someone is not something any sane person should or would want to experience unless your own life is threatened.

Just my two cents.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    I don't think I'd have done anything different. While he may have been pushing the limits, it doesn't sound like he'd broken any laws. Keep an eye on him and go about your business.

If he was the only 'odd' character you saw at WW, it was a slow day.
    Going to WW is better than the airport for 'watching people'.
    As far as the individual mentioned, I see nothing to mention, except for odd, and that's the typical person at WW.
    Doesn't a 'star' denote the Lone Star State? I've seen holsters and other 'carry packages' made with just such a star. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What you did was all you needed to do. We don't know, and as others have said, don't care. IF he was CCing, that's his right. When he's no threat, he's also no concern.

It may very well be that some punk hassled him in the parking lot last time he visited WW, so this is his way of trying to prevent another confrontation by appearing more intimidating with his hunting/tobacco/flask/camera holster worn to look like something more ominous.

or maybe the guy was cruisin'... starred holsters and CCW badges are total chick magnets. and it's so much sexier to just provide a glimpse through your clothes :)

I did not see where he did anything threatening. I would just continue on with my business. If he caused you to feel uncomfortable then just don't hang out with him.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

If he's not a threat to me and mine, I don't care

Biker
    /thread.

I really have no responsibility for those around me but family and friends. The common stranger is sol.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If he was the only 'odd' character you saw at WW, it was a slow day.
    Going to WW is better than the airport for 'watching people'.
    As far as the individual mentioned, I see nothing to mention, except for odd, and that's the typical person at WW.
    Doesn't a 'star' denote the Lone Star State? I've seen holsters and other 'carry packages' made with just such a star. OMO
    Isn't that the truth. I like walmart prices but I can't stand seeing the people there. Theres a website like thepeopleofwalmart or people of walmart that is a collection of pictures and pretty much dead on.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links