Standing in the local ATT store, with my elbow on the counter, and what do I spot?

This is a discussion on Standing in the local ATT store, with my elbow on the counter, and what do I spot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking out the front window while waiting for the sales person to try and resurrect my fried SIM card, I spot on the glass next ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing in the local ATT store, with my elbow on the counter, and what do I spot?

Thumbs down Standing in the local ATT store, with my elbow on the counter, and what do I spot?

Looking out the front window while waiting for the sales person to try and resurrect my fried SIM card, I spot on the glass next to the front door the dreaded "No Firearms" sign.

Of course I have my Sig warmly and securely concealed at 4 o'clock and do a little smile inside...

I look at the staff working and considering a Q&A about firearms, one woman is standing behind the counter obliviously texting, another is on the phone (kinda sounded like a personal call, but who was listening...) and the most geeky guy was helping me. None of the name tags said that they were a manager, so I am having an internal debate: do I ask for the manager or be confrontive some way else.

I decided to actually send a letter today to the manager of the ATT store. I do not believe that it is a ATT policy but I will find out and let you know! BTW, does anyone have a good letter that they would like to share, one that is concise but with a good punch?

Bill

ps: Today's Tip of the Day: Make sure that your phone numbers are saved to your phone and not your SIM card!!! I have to re-enter all of mine - a real PITA!
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Does the sign hold any legal water in Ky?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Not sure, I hope one of the 'legal eagles' will chime in on that subject!

Bill
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

I always thought if there was no statue listed on the sign (i.e. 123.456) then it was only a preference, and all they could do was ask you to leave if they somehow found out you were carrying. Is this right?

Nope, signs have no legal power in KY.

A few points...

Quote Originally Posted by billpocz View Post
    I look at the staff working and considering a Q&A about firearms, one woman is standing behind the counter obliviously texting, another is on the phone (kinda sounded like a personal call, but who was listening...)
    That's pretty unprofessional, right off the bat.

I decided to actually send a letter today to the manager of the ATT store. I do not believe that it is a ATT policy but I will find out and let you know!
    What is important to determine is whether this is a corporate AT&T store or a "3rd Party"/"Authorized" dealer. 3rd Party/Authorized Dealers in wireless are typically small operations (less than half a dozen stores or so) so the owners are generally pretty emotionally and financially invested in their stores. You will have the most luck with one of these "small business" owners since it more directly and drastically effects their wallets. If it's corporate, good luck.

ps: Today's Tip of the Day: Make sure that your phone numbers are saved to your phone and not your SIM card!!! I have to re-enter all of mine - a real PITA!
    I'm a Service and Repair technician for a major wireless carrier. Let me tell you, there is no intelligent way to "depend" on your phone's contact list for your phone numbers.

Customers that I see with a dead phone that we can't recover data from get angry that we don't use SIM cards. On the other hand, I see phones that are completely fine, like yours, but the SIM is cooked. ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP, DO NOT DEPEND ON THE DATA IN YOUR PHONE. Sync your PDA, or have your carrier print your contact list from time to time.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Since the sign was there you might as well try spitting into a nearby lake to raise the water level--you are not going to change anybody's mind and you are just wasting your time. Next time you go into the store you tell them that you are not coming back since they do not respect your responsible, legal and constitutional right to bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Since the sign was there you might as well try spitting into a nearby lake to raise the water level--you are not going to change anybody's mind and you are just wasting your time. Next time you go into the store you tell them that you are not coming back since they do not respect your responsible, legal and constitutional right to bear arms.

I was actually hoping to start a dialogue instead of spouting a disertation about 2A rights...

Historically, I think that lecturing folks really does not foster an atmosphere to educate, only one where they shut down even more.

Bill
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

Kelcarry, there is always a chance that the sign will be removed. Look at walmart for instance. They had gunbuster signs at one point, but it is a CORPORATE policy to comply with all state and local laws, so they had to remove the signs. If you can change ONE mind, its one more on our side. IMHO its better to TRY and get told no then NEVER try and lose the chance to possibly convert ones opinion on legal carry of a firearm.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

My question is on this matter is, was this an authorized agent or an actual ATT Corporate store?
    A lack of preparation on your part does not and will not constitute an emergency on mine.

E.A.A. Windicator 2" .357/.38 revolver
    CHP carrier since Oct. 15, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by goab View Post
    My question is on this matter is, was this an authorized agent or an actual ATT Corporate store?
    ATT Corporate Store (in a strip mall type set-up).
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

I know this doesn't help because you use AT&T but Verizon has a free app that can be downloaded to their phones that will store your contacts on their network... so if your sim fries or phone dies, you won't lose your contacts.

I usually use Verizon, but have been in a few AT&T stores, I can't say as I have seen a sign at any of them.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Below is a DC link to a good letter from a DC member sent to Taco Cabana with positive results that could be easily edited for your needs.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hl-effort.html
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

sucks about your phone and the signs. i haven't seen any @ the ATT stores here but as far as i know i go to the actual corporate stores or whatever they are called not 3rd party ones....thanks for the reminder to back up my blackberry again its been a while

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links