I need to get back into the habit of looking for no-gun signs

This is a discussion on I need to get back into the habit of looking for no-gun signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we've officially left Colorado, but haven't officially arrived in Texas yet. We're staying with family in Arizona for the time being (about 3 more ...

Thread: I need to get back into the habit of looking for no-gun signs

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

I need to get back into the habit of looking for no-gun signs

So we've officially left Colorado, but haven't officially arrived in Texas yet. We're staying with family in Arizona for the time being (about 3 more weeks). I wasn't carrying in Colorado because I didn't have the money to apply for the permit and take the class but carry here since I have my AZ permit. We've been to 3 different stores/restaurants around the Phoenix area where I have missed the signs. I know they don't have any legal importance around here, but I know in Texas they do (at least I think they do...)

I need to get back into the habit of looking for signs!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad I don't have to worry about that. Keep your eyes open, good luck.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

In Texas they have to be very specific 30.06 signs I believe. I'm not used to looking for signs here in VA either. Don't know what I'd do if I had to.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    30.06 and 51% are the main signs we look for. We (being a CHL carrier) can carry where no gun signs are posted, these are typically the signs with a handgun picture and a slash through it as long as the above numbers (30.06 & 51%) are not present.

We have the typical no carry places i.e Federal Buildings, Schools and so on!

This is a link to the Texas handgun laws.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...trPamphlet.pdf
    [One Nation Under God]

I watch for them (and Class D liquor licenses) in Ohio. Every once in a while I notice one has disappeared. Kinkos recently "unposted". Best Cuts might have. I disarmed as usual, but the sign seemed to be missing. I forget to check on the way out. I have to go that way later, so I'll try to check.

Pcon, let me be the first to welcome you to Texas!!

I'm a Denver native, parents & brother still live there. I moved to Texas in '78, & although I miss the Denver summer climate & scenery, I don't regret the move 1 bit as I still get back to Denver ocassionally for visits. Texas summers will take some getting used to, but you'll love our winters. You'll love our no state income taxes, & annual vehicle registration of $50 - $100.

A TX drivers license is a prerequisite to getting your TX CHL, so that will be step 1.

CHL class from a certified instructor ... $125.00
    TX CHL application fee (non-refundable) ... $140.00 (4-5 month processing period)

Ability to legally CC ... priceless.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Funny thing about Texas is you can carry in a liquor store because none of the alcohol is consumed on the premises and therefore it is not a 51% establishment.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

You'll love our no state income taxes
    True, but our astronomically and ridiculously obscene high property taxes are a defacto state income tax. Incedentally our state supreme court judged that these insane property taxes were in fact a defacto state income tax about 4 years ago and nothing has happened at all to improve the situation
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Our trouble around Dayton, Ohio, and surrounding suburbs is: Every other business door has those damned red-cricle-slash no-CCW-gun sign on it; in effect negating legal CCW for most of us folks if not all, making us leave our weapons locked inside our parked vehicles outside. Of course, we can ignore them and probably get away with it, unless or until some Oprah/Dr. Phil watcher sees our guns and throws a wannabe PSTD hissy fit and calls the managers and cops on us. I don't even risk it anymore by taking my gun into such a restaurant or store.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I know they don't have any legal importance around here, but I know in Texas they do (at least I think they do...)
    I think you're wrong there PCON.

Arizona guys chime in, but I think in AZ the signs do mean something. I'd hate to see you as guest of the state with some guy named Bubba giving you another Mohawk!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well GunnyBunny, they do and they don't.

For the record IANAL. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

They constitute a request of the owner of the property for you to leave, but unless they are blazingly obvious to a moron you're likely able to skirt them legally. They constitute a request from the owner or manager but unless they can reasonably prove that you have received the request they can't pin you down legally to it. For instance, if a business were to have the sign placed behind a door that is typically or often open then it becomes reasonable to say that you did not see the sign.

If you ignore the request of course they may call the police, but as long as you don't admit to seeing the sign then the owner's recourse is simply to ask you to leave or you are trespassing. Then you politely leave and that is that.

Of course federal buildings and here in AZ primary and secondary schools are off limits without any need for posting.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The Minister nailed it

They are a request but very touch and go on being able to prove if you received the request. As long as you don't admit to seeing it they will not be able to make it stick. As long as you leave when asked one on one by a person they aren't gonna nab you for anything.

VIP Member
    It's hard to miss Tx signs...They must be printed in 1" minimum height letters in both English and Spanish, with the exact wording given in the statute, or they are not legal... The one's I've seen are about 24" tall and 14"wide...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    It's hard to miss Tx signs...They must be printed in 1" minimum height letters in both English and Spanish, with the exact wording given in the statute, or they are not legal... The one's I've seen are about 24" tall and 14"wide...
    +1
    And the letters have to be on a contrasting background.
    I have seen some that are black letters on a clear background on a glass door. I don't think that would meet the standard, but I am not looking to be a test case.
    The 51% signs are not as subtle as the 30.06 signs.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Well GunnyBunny, they do and they don't.

For the record IANAL. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

They constitute a request of the owner of the property for you to leave, but unless they are blazingly obvious to a moron you're likely able to skirt them legally. They constitute a request from the owner or manager but unless they can reasonably prove that you have received the request they can't pin you down legally to it. For instance, if a business were to have the sign placed behind a door that is typically or often open then it becomes reasonable to say that you did not see the sign.

If you ignore the request of course they may call the police, but as long as you don't admit to seeing the sign then the owner's recourse is simply to ask you to leave or you are trespassing. Then you politely leave and that is that.

Of course federal buildings and here in AZ primary and secondary schools are off limits without any need for posting.

That was basically my understanding too. The sign itself carries very little weight. You won't be charged for bringing a gun in to a place that doesn't have a sign (like a Kohls or something) but if you don't leave when asked, then you'll be charged for trespass.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Links