How do you get out at all? - Page 2

How do you get out at all?

This is a discussion on How do you get out at all? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bladenbullet reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you get out at all?

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves to go outside of their own home...after checking the perimeter...setting the alarm...setting up 7 items in a particular place...practicing the draw and double tap to the chest...

where do you sit in a movie theater?..

are you able to walk down the street without someone walking backward behind you to guard your back?...you know someone could walk right up behind you and take you out before you know what hit you?...the horror!...

i think after you type some of this stuff you really need to take a moment to read it and ask yourself...is this the way i really live?...

just saying...
    Well said.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    +1 for Hotguns
    Considering the conversations with a sisters ex-boyfriend from South Africa even the most paranoid seeming member here is under prepared for when he lived in South Africa. Each persons system is based on them.
    When your load out to go shopping is a rifle and a pistol with armor piercing ammo and you've had to use this setup I fully admit I have no clue what that kind of threat level is like.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Ultimately, there's a balance between comfort and safety. You can carry nothing and worry about nothing and not be inconvenienced at all, you can be crazy paranoid and not enjoy life, or you can find a nice spot somewhere in the middle that works for you. Isn't it great that different things work for different people?
    "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."
    -John 3:17

Paranoid?

WHO SAID THAT!?!

No really, it's easy for me to start carrying way to much stuff for everyday use. Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, rain gear, flashlights, road hazard triangle, etc. in truck; SAXD9sc on my side, spare mag in cargo pocket, folding knife and tac light in the other........how much is too much? Do I feel comfortable carrying so much gear? Not always, it gets heavy. Do I feel more comfrotable when walking downtown Indianapolis around Circle Center at night, or North Saint Louis to visit my daughter? Yes. Does it comfirm my decision to carry almost everywhere when I see shootings/assaults in EVERY demographic area of EVERY city? Darn right.

I try to stay reasonable, keep in perspective but you know? There may just be a chance in my life, God forbid, that I am confronted with a life-threat and have the opportunity to make a difference in the outcome. I practice and train and try to stay focused, whether it be a need for evacuation, helping people exit or escape from fire, flood, earthquake or taking out an a--hole intent on doing harm. My firearm is a tool, just as other equipment and knowledge are tools.

I do not want to go to my grave with the thought resounding in my head..."If I had only had a gun.......".

that's just me, maybe I'm wrong, but its what I'm comfortable with.

OH yeah, and where do I sit in the theater? Wherever I think the view and sound of the movie/play will be. But I do check where the fire exits are.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

I think....k...wait one...gotta put on my tin foil hat so the guys in the black helo's can't pick out my thoughts!!

I'm not a pair of noids by the way....I just believe in a few things...1) the second amendment....2)I'm getting old and don't wanna flop around on the ground with anyone younger than me trying to prove how tough I am...3)never go to a knife fight without a bigger gun....

I never carried a weapon since I got out of the military until this yr when the obamanation got into office and the ammo disappeared off of shelves and fears of people not being able to get a hand gun..then I went on a buying spree...9 guns and counting....(I think I have a addiction )

Steve

Senior Moderator
    Sixto and Hotguns are right on.

While incorporating some good practices into your daily routine, there is a line that crosses over into paranoia.

Where I think some people go astray is when they get so caught up in the "what if" the completely forget to pay attention to the "what is."

They are stocking their cellar for the apocalypse, have six guard dogs and sleep with a machete all while their neglecting their own health or ignoring the bald tires on their car, letting the drapes hang over the stove or ignoring their children. They are so caught up in the remote possibility of an outside attack they are letting the things around their home and life go to waste, including their relationships.

It is about balance and well-balanced people will take care of what they need to take care of, at home, at work, at school, and will appropriately prepare for what they can and stop sweating about what they can't.

But as Hotguns says, there are places where more preparation is necessary than others. Those who live in the middle of nowhere may have less to worry about than those who live or work in the inner city or have jobs that require them to go to dangerous places and meet dangerous people. There are those who manage to balance that kind of life and don't obsess.

Yes, I think sometimes people are just blowing smoke. If they did half of what they claim to do they would never be able to move within their own homes and it does become some kind of, "Well, you think you're prepared, but see what I do" kind of game.

Do your best to protect yourself and your family but don't let it rule your life. After all, you could be the best crack shot there is and be the most prepared, have the best dogs and the greatest alarm system and die of cancer in six months.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

It's best we all remember that and try to responsibly enjoy the time we have.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    It never ends. And when I am with him I think.."God what a horrible life"
    Get a new friend.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    This should be good.

Thanks Pro2A, I needed that!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve201 View Post
    I think....k...wait one...gotta put on my tin foil hat so the guys in the black helo's can't pick out my thoughts!!

I'm not a pair of noids by the way....I just believe in a few things...1) the second amendment....2)I'm getting old and don't wanna flop around on the ground with anyone younger than me trying to prove how tough I am...3)never go to a knife fight without a bigger gun....

I never carried a weapon since I got out of the military until this yr when the obamanation got into office and the ammo disappeared off of shelves and fears of people not being able to get a hand gun..then I went on a buying spree...9 guns and counting....(I think I have a addiction )

Steve
    Steve, until last November the only handgun I owned was a Ruger MkII. Amazing what happens when a few well-placed words are spoken and paranoia is sparked. If my funds hadn't run out, I'd be right there with 9 or so also. I stopped myself at 5. LOL
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    ...living in the sticks ain't as laid back as you might think.

Have you met any angry racoon/coyote/dog/ mountain lion/crazy-guy-down-the-road/bear/snakes/purplepeopleeaters/ and whatnot that resides out in never-never land?
    Are the 'sticks' where the banjo music starts?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Most (+70%) of the people I see in the "gun culture" (shows, shops, clubs, etc) look so unhealthy from diet and lack of exercise they are prepared for everything except their most imminent danger - their health.

Once, I saw a post that said he “never” allows a person within 21 feet. Just for fun, I tried that one day. I couldn’t find a one sided gas pump to fuel up on. I couldn’t buy a cup of coffee and the Wal-Mart greeter blocked my path. So I decided to go back to my danger filled life.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Once, I saw a post that said he “never” allows a person within 21 feet. Just for fun, I tried that one day. I couldn’t find a one sided gas pump to fuel up on. I couldn’t buy a cup of coffee and the Wal-Mart greeter blocked my path. So I decided to go back to my danger filled life.
    haha I'll have to try that. It might make my job at Starbucks a bit difficult.

But just remember... just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I'm not paranoid, just feel safer being armed which has heightened my SA as I travel about...

sorry, gotta go secure the perimeter of the house with a couple of Claymores and charge the electric fence before heading off to bed.
    Proud NRA member

I just relax, knowing that the cops will protect me....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links