How do you get out at all?

This is a discussion on How do you get out at all? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes Sixto and Hotguns are right on. While incorporating some good practices into your daily routine, there is a line that crosses ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you get out at all?

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Sixto and Hotguns are right on.

While incorporating some good practices into your daily routine, there is a line that crosses over into paranoia.

Where I think some people go astray is when they get so caught up in the "what if" the completely forget to pay attention to the "what is."

They are stocking their cellar for the apocalypse, have six guard dogs and sleep with a machete all while their neglecting their own health or ignoring the balled tires on their car, letting the drapes hang over the stove or ignoring their children. They are so caught up in the remote possibility of an outside attack they are letting the things around their home and life go to waste, including their relationships.

It is about balance and well-balanced people will take care of what they need to take care of, at home, at work, at school, and will appropriately prepare for what they can and stop sweating about what they can't.

But as Hotguns says, there are places where more preparation is necessary than others. Those who live in the middle of nowhere may have less to worry about than those who live or work in the inner city or have jobs that require them to go to dangerous places and meet dangerous people. There are those who manage to balance that kind of life and don't obsess.

Yes, I think sometimes people are just blowing smoke. If they did half of what they claim to do they would never be able to move within their own homes and it does become some kind of, "Well, you think you're prepared, but see what I do" kind of game.

Do your best to protect yourself and your family but don't let it rule your life. After all, you could be the best crack shot there is and be the most prepared, have the best dogs and the greatest alarm system and die of cancer in six months.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

It's best we all remember that and try to responsibly enjoy the time we have.
    Well put.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well, I was prepared today, though I admit I walked past one and had to turn around and shoot him after he ran; I also had some slugs in case Godzilla came along.

My "looking over my back" came from the job I had and all of the death threats, murderers, and other violent folks I dealt with.... as that's all I dealt with. When you see how much stuff is out there going on that "normal" folks have no clue about, the types of folks doing it, and the extent people will go and the things they'll do. Do that for some years and somehow, that all changes one's perspective.

Then you hear someone say, "well, I mean really.... what's the likelihood". I want to tell them , but know in my own mind .... they won't ever understand.

Yes, there is a limit and yes , there are those that take to a point of paranoia that is beyond me...... ducking every shadow, grabbing your gun in too many instances, have unfounded fears, etc. ... it's likely paranoia. However, I imagine what I feel that is and you do, are quite different.

But, I'll also add..... you also learn not to get concerned or over-react to things as well, but pay attention to your surroundings. Complacency, may be just as bad as paranoia.

Thanks Limatunes.... Well stated.

"Do your best to protect yourself and your family but don't let it rule your life. After all, you could be the best crack shot there is and be the most prepared, have the best dogs and the greatest alarm system and die of cancer in six months.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

It's best we all remember that and try to responsibly enjoy the time we have."

bosco

I also understand preparedness and can find no fault with it.

I do wonder sometimes if posts aren't just metamorphosed 'Mall Ninja' statements meant as satire. (also see Burt and Heather Gummer, of "Tremors" fame. )

Shrine of the Mall Ninja LonelyMachines

Quote Originally Posted by SigDaddy View Post
    Forget that! Whats the best caliber to carry in a movie theater. ;)
    Drive-in or multiplex?

:)
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Most (+70%) of the people I see in the "gun culture" (shows, shops, clubs, etc) look so unhealthy from diet and lack of exercise they are prepared for everything except their most imminent danger - their health.
    Agreed. So very true. And I'm with the OP 100%. Some things I read here make my jaw drop in disbelief. I can say that it's opened my eyes up to a new level of paranoia I never knew existed. I came here looking for info on CCW, which, btw, is great. The paranoia that I see that goes along with it from some people is beyond what I ever expected. I remember reading one post about a guy going into surgery for cancer or something and he couldn't carry. Some people here were telling him not to go into surgery b/c he could have his gun. And they were serious!

Anything in excess can be detrimental in some manner. Personally, I carry one pistol at a time for personal defense. Why? Because I am given the legal right to do so. Legally and responsibly exercising that right gives me a comfort level over the potential regret if something happened to my family if I chose not to exercise that right. Do I lock my doors? Yep. Do I exercise prudent awareness of my surroundings? Yep. Do I live in a bunker with guard dogs and practice tactical home sweeps with my family and sleep with a gun under my pillow? No. For those in which that level of preparedness gives them a level of comfort greater than their potential regret, then that's their right. We are fortunate that we all have the freedom to choose our own individual defensive preparedness comfort level...regardless of how "over the top" it may seem to some or "naive" it may seem to others. Now excuse me while I scan all of my security cameras, check the expiration dates on my survival rations, and make sure my escape tunnels are clear.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm in an urban area. All vehicles locked at all times. All doors locked at all times. No windows left open after dark. Nothing of value left outside at any time. Anytime I go outside, daylight or dark, I am aware of the possibility of someone being around the area. If someone is in the area my first job is to acertain who they are and what they are doing. I'm not paranoid. It's just the reality of living in town.

When I go out and about I am always watching for the questionable person or persons. I have and will continue to alter my choice of parking spot, side of the street I'm walking on, where I sit, etc., etc. Again, I'm not paranoid. I just don't want me or my family to be a victim. I would never consider being armed with less than multiple rounds in a semi auto and I am always armed. I'm not paranoid, but I'm aware of what can happen.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't allow my preparedness intrude on a normal, happy and healthy life. I do think of a lot of things normal people do not, its just part of me.

It is what it is. Its part of my life, yet it is not my life.
    Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves to go outside of their own home...after checking the perimeter...setting the alarm...setting up 7 items in a particular place...practicing the draw and double tap to the chest...

where do you sit in a movie theater?..

are you able to walk down the street without someone walking backward behind you to guard your back?...you know someone could walk right up behind you and take you out before you know what hit you?...the horror!...

i think after you type some of this stuff you really need to take a moment to read it and ask yourself...is this the way i really live?...

just saying...
    Paranoia really has nothing to do with life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness. That's what I do every single day that I carry here on the streets of America the beautiful. Matter of fact, I'd rather be outside....out of the house....in the sunlight instead of sitting here learning and giving my best advice. For real. I can honestly say that I walk with confidence and I carry. Sensible, reasonable, and better prepared to keep on livin' and breathin'. I'll save paranoia for the system since I'll continue to wonder what they'll think of next to try and screw me over. As for the BG out there, I figure only the total psycho would even give me a second glance, and the second he does is my cue. Stay vertical.

I guess by the OP's standards, I must be paranoid....but I don't feel that I am.

I live "in the sticks" (though I am about 2 miles from I-5, which is a common drug route for gang members on the L.A. to Seattle corridor).

I have a stock of non-perishable food and pure water, I have a number of guns and amount of ammo that most people would find excessive.

The portion of my land which includes my house is fenced on 3 sides (there is a good sized river on the 4th) and gated at the road and I have 2 loud but not at all vicious dogs.

I carry a Glock and frequently carry a BUG when I go to town.

I am normally aware of what is going on around me, though I do not "look over my shoulder" and enjoy each day to it's fullest.

I am 60 years of age and retired due to disabilities related to allowing myself to "experience" 7 GSWs 40 years ago.

I do not "live in fear"...as a matter of fact, I am known by most as about the happiest and most positive person they know...partly because I know I have done everything I can reasonably do to protect myself, my wife and the material things that I have worked for.

If this seems unreasonable to you, all I can say is that you should not do the things I have done...and I won't live as if nothing bad will ever happen...then we can both be happy.

When I deactivate the claymores, we have a 20 second window of time to get out the door and out of the driveway. After that, the steel doors slam shut on the bunker and the remainder of the family is safely sealed underground.

I'd continue to write ... but I think I hear helicopters again.

Humor aside, I think this is a troll thread. Do we really have to reiterate the fact that having smoke detectors or a fire extinguisher does not make you paranoid? Nor does having a spare tire in your car, or a permit to carry a pistol. But, if somebody thinks that a pistol makes a man paranoid, I would suggest that they close their account here and head over to Oprah's website or perhaps moveon.org where people will share that point of view ... btw when those people get in trouble they get on the phone and wait for somebody with a gun to rescue them ... kind of ironic.
    Last edited by lance22; December 2nd, 2009 at 09:46 AM.

My 8 year old daughter takes karate classes. After class one day, she ran up to me and said they have adult classes and I could take it too. I told her, "Honey, Daddy's too old to fight and too slow to run, and that's why Daddy carries a gun." I thought the instructor was going to die laughing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves to go outside of their own home...after checking the perimeter...setting the alarm...setting up 7 items in a particular place...practicing the draw and double tap to the chest...

where do you sit in a movie theater?..

are you able to walk down the street without someone walking backward behind you to guard your back?...you know someone could walk right up behind you and take you out before you know what hit you?...the horror!...

i think after you type some of this stuff you really need to take a moment to read it and ask yourself...is this the way i really live?...

just saying...
    Asking questions with an open mind sometimes leads to an understanding of other perspectives sooner than judgemental patronage. The polite mods and seniors here are gracious to express helpful ideas based on extensive experience. Some of us are evolving from sheep and going through phases of awareness that can come across a bit awkwardly or over enthusiastically. Those of us who have experienced the dark side of human depravity don't take personal safety for granted. To really live, each of us will continually be finding a common sense balance of awareness, preparedness, and humor, depending on our unique environment as well as our commitment to protect ourselves and those we cherish.

Being a bit older, I sit on the aisle for frequent trips to the popcorn counter and rest rooms.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links