How do you get out at all? - Page 4

How do you get out at all?

This is a discussion on How do you get out at all? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by resqr9142 Steve, until last November the only handgun I owned was a Ruger MkII. Amazing what happens when a few well-placed words ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you get out at all?

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Steve, until last November the only handgun I owned was a Ruger MkII. Amazing what happens when a few well-placed words are spoken and paranoia is sparked. If my funds hadn't run out, I'd be right there with 9 or so also. I stopped myself at 5. LOL
    About the same here. I think half the guys I work with have gotten CCW's this year. And I'm chompin at the proverbial bit to buy another gun.

I've wondered similar questions as the OP. But I'm mostly interested in what I can learn from the group and apply it to my own life. I've bookmarked a couple dozen websites that I found as a result of this forum. On the other hand, I think a few of em are just plain nuts for lugging a 1911, extra mags, a BUG, and more gear than Bat Man on a daily basis. I don't say anything, because this is America, and they have a right to lug a 50 lb utility belt if that's what they want.

Or as the freshman senator from NY shreaked it: "This is America! And we have a right to debate and disagree..." Hilary Clinton

Praise the Lord, and pass the ammo... and popcorn.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I just relax, knowing that the cops will protect me....

Picking through the ideas on this site is enjoyable. I hope we don't limit the type and scope of thought provoking ideas presented by ridiculing the presenters. I certainly don't adopt many, but the process of being exposed to the ideas of others stretches my mind. Lord knows it needs stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I guess by the OP's standards, I must be paranoid....but I don't feel that I am.

I live "in the sticks" (though I am about 2 miles from I-5, which is a common drug route for gang members on the L.A. to Seattle corridor).

I have a stock of non-perishable food and pure water, I have a number of guns and amount of ammo that most people would find excessive.

The portion of my land which includes my house is fenced on 3 sides (there is a good sized river on the 4th) and gated at the road and I have 2 loud but not at all vicious dogs.

I carry a Glock and frequently carry a BUG when I go to town.

I am normally aware of what is going on around me, though I do not "look over my shoulder" and enjoy each day to it's fullest.

I am 60 years of age and retired due to disabilities related to allowing myself to "experience" 7 GSWs 40 years ago.

I do not "live in fear"...as a matter of fact, I am known by most as about the happiest and most positive person they know...partly because I know I have done everything I can reasonably do to protect myself, my wife and the material things that I have worked for.

If this seems unreasonable to you, all I can say is that you should not do the things I have done...and I won't live as if nothing bad will ever happen...then we can both be happy.

That sounds almost like my BIO, except I am 66 years old.
    My life experiences have taught me that if someone REALLY wants you, they can get you. I just don't make it easy for them.

FWIW a 500 yard shot with a rifle is not that hard to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    That sounds almost like my BIO, except I am 66 years old.
    My life experiences have taught me that if someone REALLY wants you, they can get you. I just don't make it easy for them.

FWIW a 500 yard shot with a rifle is not that hard to make
    Yep...I try to protect against what I can and don't sweat the stuff I can't do anything about.

Besides...no matter how well trained, how well armed and how prepared you are, it frequently comes down to luck...and so far I've been lucky enough to live every day of my life.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I'm sure many of you have been on other forums but these CC forums are much much better than the other gun forums. I have replied on other forums where posters talk about having 85,000 rounds of ammo and show pix of a dozen or more rifles etc of every imaginable type. I have asked them where in the world do they live--sure sounds like it is in downtown Bagdhad. These CC forums seem to attract a more responsible group who understand what it is they are doing and what an awesome responsibility someone has given them to literally be walking around with life and death a second away on their person. I do agree, however, that some of these posts sound quite disturbing--personally I think many of these posts are from people who have the courage at their computer and are not quite what they say they are. Hey--to each his own. I am 68 years old and grew up in NYC and NJ and have walked many streets etc and NEVER have felt the need for a CCW--I truly believe that common sense and awareness are at least 99% of your safety mode. I have a CCWP more because it gave me a reason to take a class on my gun usage; I do carry sometimes but still feel that my cell phone, my common sense and my awareness are more important--I cannot, however, argue with the "what ifs". In my house I am loaded for bear--someone comes in and endangers my wife or myself, they are not going to be leaving in a pleasant state of mind. To all--be safe, have a wonderful holdiday and hope that all we ever do is talk the talk and never have to walk the walk.

All things in moderation! I would say that applies to self-protection as well.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I guess by the OP's standards, I must be paranoid....but I don't feel that I am.

I live "in the sticks" (though I am about 2 miles from I-5, which is a common drug route for gang members on the L.A. to Seattle corridor).

I have a stock of non-perishable food and pure water, I have a number of guns and amount of ammo that most people would find excessive.

The portion of my land which includes my house is fenced on 3 sides (there is a good sized river on the 4th) and gated at the road and I have 2 loud but not at all vicious dogs.

I carry a Glock and frequently carry a BUG when I go to town.

I am normally aware of what is going on around me, though I do not "look over my shoulder" and enjoy each day to it's fullest.

I am 60 years of age and retired due to disabilities related to allowing myself to "experience" 7 GSWs 40 years ago.

I do not "live in fear"...as a matter of fact, I am known by most as about the happiest and most positive person they know...partly because I know I have done everything I can reasonably do to protect myself, my wife and the material things that I have worked for.

If this seems unreasonable to you, all I can say is that you should not do the things I have done...and I won't live as if nothing bad will ever happen...then we can both be happy.

actually you do not seem paranoid to me...i keep water and food stocked and have a generator in the garage with a stock of fuel...i live in a hurricane area and know in a heartbeat my modern world can go primitive...i lock my doors and am aware of my surroundings also...

but...i walk head high and acknowledge everyone i see with usually a smile and a greeting of some sort...unusual people dont raise the hair on my neck...they arrouse my curiostiy more than anything else...and i'm the first to engage them in conversation even though i am not a real outgoing person...

isolating oneself from reality makes one more of a target than throwing oneself into it...the insight i read here in many instances is not foresight but false protectionism...almost as though some people believe that isolating themselves from any potential threat or potential theatening person is safety...it may be the opposite...the person you suspect as a threat may be the one who will be the biggest help in a crisis situation...if you get to know them...

i dont want to be "the old guy" down the street that the kids are afraid of and the neighbors stay away from...i want to be the one who knows everybody and shares a mutual interest in being there for them just as they would be there for me...building a caccoon around yourself and living in some kind of isolation may turn you into the "he was kind of quiet and kept to himself...i guess i never would have expected him to fire 45 rounds of into a prowler" guy down the street as opposed to the "he is a great guy and would do anything for you...i'm glad he was able to protect himself" neighbor...

a few years ago on a business trip to another state i drove with several other managers and employees...we were passing through a less than wealthy section of a city during the middle of the day and drove right through a block party...i'm talking big grills with brabecued chicken...salads...gospel music and dancing in the streets...families all over the place and lots of smiles...i suggested we stop and get a bite to eat with some real people and enjoy the culture and surroundings...2 other managers almost climbed over the seats begging me not to stop as they were in fear of their lives and werent carrying there sidearms...i gotta tell ya...it looked like a barrel of fun to me and sorry to stereotype but inner city people know how to party...we missed a good time that day and i still think about it...

in 2003 i suffered a cerebral hemorage....not a drop down dead stroke...a very small bleed that produced seizures that were unpredictable and left me incapacitated for short periods of time (30 seconds or so)...anyone know what its like to have a seizure in public and watch people take a wide path around you in fear?(i was the wierd guy at walmart)..standing in a public place grasping onto a railing to hold yourself up shaking uncontrollably while peole walk by looking the other way?...it sucks and gives you a real feel for the ugly side of human nature...people who are so afraid to engage with someone else out of fear that they would allow them to die in front of them rather than just ask if they need a hand with something or if theres anything they can do for them..

wondering why the world feels like such a dangerous place?... because thats the way we picture it and by that we define it...i'm not denying reality...i'm choosing to accept it and enjoy myself anyway...with a little preparation just in case...

theres nothing wrong with being safe...i wear my seatbelt and continue to wear a helmet in a helmet free state since one saved my life (as luck would have it the first time i chose to wear a helmet in the helmet free state i was involved in an accident where it came in handy)...i lock my doors but answer them enthusiastically at times...i dont mind sales phone calls...i just hang up if i'm not interested or i might carry on a conversation with them for 5 minutes before i hang up...you can always learn something from people regardless of what they do...

so thats the nature of my original post...its one thing to be safe...its another to isolate yourself from what is real and justify it by telling people you are more aware of reality....when it comes it comes and there may be nothing you can do to stop it...at least try to enjoy it up till that time...

I play it by ear and live by experiences I've either seen, heard of, or lived in some instances. My level of preparedness has never caused me any embarrassments and so far I have never been made, except for the dude in the Tree that day, and I'm not counting him.

I'm perfectly fine with coming in second place while in a race, getting to the remote control and even the line at the family dinner, but in matters of life or death. I gotta be first and thats just the survivor in me and where it came from I have no idea, but it's there.

It's a fact; There's always someone out there that wants to take from people what they haven't earned. Our job is to either defeat um when they cross our paths or stay outa there's, and I hate to yield to the oppressors. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Listen, just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not after me! :)

Nah, like a lot of people on here I put the CCW on and then enjoy life. Never met a stranger, I'm a hugger and a people person. I would rather be out among folks than holed up at home. I just prefer to be out there armed!

Hey Lima, good to see you. Haven't heard you on the boards in awhile!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

You did forget one important item - the aluminum foil-lined helmet to keep out subliminal messaging/thought police black helicopter probes!

And the prosthetic beard and facial scars to throw off the facial recognition camera apparatus and satellites looking down on us......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Asking questions with an open mind sometimes leads to an understanding of other perspectives sooner than judgemental patronage.
    A pretty simple recipe for understanding. Plus, going around without the eyes shut so tightly helps appreciate that things often aren't what we assume them to be. Good reminder.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    There are certain mostly "basic common sense" things that just become quite natural and ingrained and they are not at all intrusive on the enjoyment of life.

While there is no need to be or feel paranoid, a person also does not need need to walk around in total Condition White and completely unaware of their immediate environment.

The opposite extreme would be folks that carry firearm just to be armed and it is really nothing more just a "feel good" form of security blanket.
    Because if you can not get to it...and get it out...and onto a deadly threat in 1.5 seconds (or better) then you should probably just leave it at home and save it for casual paper target punching and fun days at the range.

As far as practicing with your firearm and honing your draw and presentation skills - you should be doing that often.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Hey Lima, It was good to see you on here again. I think you are wise beyond your years.

Back to topic- I think the OP is right on the mark for alot of folks that I see on these boards. "I've got my new widget wacker 5000 with 14 lights and lazers and my rear view glasses with the auto deathray. My bunker is filled with penicillan and supplies and I got the door fitted with a cool submarine hatch. " That said, I also think that the amount of pomp and circumstace that reasonable people go thru is historically or enviromentally driven. I, for example, use store front windows to constantly check the the other side of the street. I also "tune in to" the flow of vehicle and pedestrian traffic and look for deviations from the patterns. I don't think about it, it's just always in the back of my mind. That would be historically driven because I, at one point in my life had to do those things. I later lived in Detroit and you learn to have a swivel neck in certain entertainment areas. Now that I live in Northern Michigan some of those things carry over because they are ingrained even though situationaly I could stand those practices down. By the way, my wife thinks I look sexy in my tin foil hat.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Because if you can not get to it...and get it out...and onto a deadly threat in 1.5 seconds (or better) then you should probably just leave it at home ...
    IMO, no tool is useless merely because it cannot be brought into play for the least likely percentage of situations.

It's still a potentially valuable tool, particularly when many encounters don't allow for an immediate draw anyway, instead forcing us to withstand the initial attack and pick the moment at some point down the line during the engagement. Having left the tool at home for playing and plinking would relegate all of these folks to the coffin because they couldn't approach an artificial and arbitrary 1.5sec dividing line between "competence and uselessness."

Being a gimp in pain makes and with limited range of motion makes it difficult to be Captain American in speed of response. I'm willing to bet that in many (perhaps most) situations, a violent attacker is going to adjust the attack to the perceived threat of failure. Against an aging gimp in pain, very likely subterfuge and patience is going to play into the hands of the defender. Won't always, no. But then, "1.5 seconds" isn't an "always" sort of thing, either.

I, too, would love to have a magic cloak of invincibility around me to guard against all attack, of the one-second variety as well as others. Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime. So, you use what you've got and train the best you can to leverage other aspects of the fight to advantage.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've brought up the same thing before; at what point does being prepared cross into paranoia?

A lot of what goes on here is pure paranoia, some is just thought processes being displayed on some is the tactical peepee contest.
    I don't allow my preparedness intrude on a normal, happy and healthy life. I do think of a lot of things normal people do not, its just part of me. Some of the stuff people worry about here make me chuckle. They worry about silly things while ignoring the obvious danger.

My profession demands it, and it spills over into my personal life. It is what it is. Its part of my life, yet it is not my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its all about perception and its all relative.

Reminds me of the elephant getting his first look at a naked man.

He looks at him and thinks...how in the heck do you breath from that little thing?

To the newbie, I'm quite sure that reading some of the posts on here can be entertaining, and some of it does seem a bit paranoid. What seems paranoid to one member may be a matter of survival to someone else living in totally different conditions.

You also have to remember that we have members from all 50 states and even some other countries here. What may seem completely foreign to someone may be completely natural to someone else.

You just have to learn to sort through it all and pick up what you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Sixto and Hotguns are right on.

While incorporating some good practices into your daily routine, there is a line that crosses over into paranoia.

Where I think some people go astray is when they get so caught up in the "what if" the completely forget to pay attention to the "what is."

They are stocking their cellar for the apocalypse, have six guard dogs and sleep with a machete all while their neglecting their own health or ignoring the bald tires on their car, letting the drapes hang over the stove or ignoring their children. They are so caught up in the remote possibility of an outside attack they are letting the things around their home and life go to waste, including their relationships.

It is about balance and well-balanced people will take care of what they need to take care of, at home, at work, at school, and will appropriately prepare for what they can and stop sweating about what they can't.

But as Hotguns says, there are places where more preparation is necessary than others. Those who live in the middle of nowhere may have less to worry about than those who live or work in the inner city or have jobs that require them to go to dangerous places and meet dangerous people. There are those who manage to balance that kind of life and don't obsess.

Yes, I think sometimes people are just blowing smoke. If they did half of what they claim to do they would never be able to move within their own homes and it does become some kind of, "Well, you think you're prepared, but see what I do" kind of game.

Do your best to protect yourself and your family but don't let it rule your life. After all, you could be the best crack shot there is and be the most prepared, have the best dogs and the greatest alarm system and die of cancer in six months.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

It's best we all remember that and try to responsibly enjoy the time we have.
    I think all of the above quotes hit the nail on the head. No need to really add much more to it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links