How do you get out at all?

This is a discussion on How do you get out at all? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I don't get out much but when I do it is lathered up in SPF 3000, with garlic around my neck (hangs next to ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How do you get out at all?

Well, I don't get out much but when I do it is lathered up in SPF 3000, with garlic around my neck (hangs next to the pepper spray, back up knife and "help I've fallen and can't get up" button) and at least 4 guns and 72,000 backup rounds (at least 2 mags each of silver bulletss and light infused rounds).

Some call it paranoid when I became a ride a long volunteer cop so getting out of the house could be a little easier. Well, It is a LITTLE better this way but I am now working on a websight where CCW holders can buddy up in groups of 3 for public outings...just to make it a little safer!

I figure if we all 3 can walk back to back in a rotating triangle then we can minimize a suprise attack.

Merry CHRISTmas and I hope ya'll know I was joking...or am I?
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Moderation is the key.

There's a huge difference between situational awareness and paranoia, but everyone has to find out for themselves where the line is. I mean, who am I to tell the guy who feels the need to do perimeter patrols of his property that he's right or wrong?

If it makes him feel better, so be it. To me it's excessive. Then again, I've not had the same life experiences he has had or live in the same neighborhood he does.

Personally, I don't think we've got many members here who really are part of the "tin foil hat" club. I believe the majority of the membership here are responsible, hard working adults who are only interested in keeping themselves and their families safe.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Administrator

Thumbs up

ccw9mm - As long as you catch my drift of the necessity for practice as well as making an honest attempt to become as quick and as accomplished as possible then I'm cool with that and you don't have to leave yours at home.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Because if you can not get to it...and get it out...and onto a deadly threat in 1.5 seconds (or better) then you should probably just leave it at home and save it for casual paper target punching and fun days at the range.

As far as practicing with your firearm and honing your draw and presentation skills - you should be doing that often.
    Ahhh, yes.....pistol-fightin' snobbery.

Wild Bill Hickock was arguably the greatest pistol-fighter of his day and had proved it numerous times. He was killed by a young, inexperienced guy who simply came up behind him and shot him dead while he sat at cards.

As others have stated - a gun is a tool. You don't have to be an ace carpenter to be allowed to use a hammer. That's why we have a Second Amendment.

What about those stories of an old lady with an antique wheel gun putting attackers on the run or leaving one or two dead in the hallway?

Unlike the Hollywood version of life, the pistol is a defensive weapon that can be employed by your average person in a life-threatening situation. Is practice desirable? Sure.

If you want to live your life preparing for a gunfight, have at it. Me - not so much. I practice and visit the range several times a year. However, I am not spending my free time playing Quickdraw McGraw.

My personal likelihood of even needing my ccw for self-defense is rather low, and now add in all kinds of other factors, and the odds become infinitesimal. I spend an hour and half at the gym five times a week. I think that will do more to prolong my life than playing with my sidearm. YMMV.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves to go outside of their own home...after checking the perimeter...setting the alarm...setting up 7 items in a particular place...practicing the draw and double tap to the chest...

where do you sit in a movie theater?..

are you able to walk down the street without someone walking backward behind you to guard your back?...you know someone could walk right up behind you and take you out before you know what hit you?...the horror!...

i think after you type some of this stuff you really need to take a moment to read it and ask yourself...is this the way i really live?...

just saying...
    I guess a lot of this just depends on your life experience. It just makes sense to take a few precautions. The precautions I take have some real life experience behind them but don't prevent me from enjoying the things I like to do. You don't have to let it dominate your life but it can help you live. Our part of town is sliding down hill and some apartments a block away went 'section 8' not too long ago. Ever had your home broken into? Car? Something stolen from your yard? Ever been threatened or attacked? Ever stared down the wrong end of a gun barrel, losing your car in the process? All of these happened to me (in different parts of the country), mostly when I was young, naive and totally unprepared. Back then I thought all the "personal-security" & gun-nuts folks were just paranoid too. I loved that pic of the kitty's protection! For the record, I don't have a tinfoil hat...
    It's a helmet.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Thanks Limatunes.... Well stated.

"Do your best to protect yourself and your family but don't let it rule your life. After all, you could be the best crack shot there is and be the most prepared, have the best dogs and the greatest alarm system and die of cancer in six months.

On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
    It's best we all remember that and try to responsibly enjoy the time we have."

bosco[emphasis added]
    One of the great truths the USMC taught me. I will die. No option there. How I live is my option.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    That sounds almost like my BIO, except I am 66 years old.
    My life experiences have taught me that if someone REALLY wants you, they can get you. I just don't make it easy for them.

FWIW a 500 yard shot with a rifle is not that hard to make.
    or a mine or a artillery round, or some bad food, or some bug w/ 2 letters & 2 numbers for a name once a pig flew.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Yep...I try to protect against what I can and don't sweat the stuff I can't do anything about.

Besides...no matter how well trained, how well armed and how prepared you are, it frequently comes down to luck...and so far I've been lucky enough to live every day of my life.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

IMHO, the courage to change the things I can includes taking reasonable precaution and includes being reasonably prepared -- taking responsiblity from fire alarms, fire extinguishers, home insurance to CC.

Were I were paranoid I'd never drive/ride in a car -- a great danger to life & health.

However, I do drive and I wear a seatbelt for the same reason that I carry -- simultaneously and for that same reason.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I find that most of the "what if" threads on this site (and others) are based more on the perception that life is like a video game.

I'm sad to see that people even equate life with SoCom4000.

I personally have been threatened and deal daily with real criminals and other mentally unstable people. Yet I sit with my back to the door of the restaurant and go to the mall and other places without fear. I don't cower in the corner of my "safe room" either. Heck, I can even work in my garage with the door open and my back to the street for hours on end wearing earmuffs and never looking around.

Why? Because I LIVE my life the way I want to. Not because of the possibility that some slimeball might decide to pick me out of the crowd and hurt me. I carry a gun so that I can fight back if necessary and I avoid situations where that may happen as best I can. What I don't do is slink around in fear and barricade myself away from living my life to it's fullest extent.

Well,

I mean it is a defensive carry forum. And there are degrees of what I like to call healthy paranoia. Truth be told, we don't live in the same world anymore. We were a lot safer back in the hippie days. And having someone to watch your back might be a good thing in some cases. Think about those 4 Police Officers we've all been reading about. Nice coffee shop in a nice part of town. You always hear witnesses talking about how nothing like that could ever happen "here". It's always unimaginable till it happens. There are parameters for living life now, you just have to decide what's best for you. God bless those 4 and their families. What say we all watch each others backs.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I'm in an urban area. All vehicles locked at all times. All doors locked at all times. No windows left open after dark. Nothing of value left outside at any time. Anytime I go outside, daylight or dark, I am aware of the possibility of someone being around the area. If someone is in the area my first job is to acertain who they are and what they are doing. I'm not paranoid. It's just the reality of living in town.

When I go out and about I am always watching for the questionable person or persons. I have and will continue to alter my choice of parking spot, side of the street I'm walking on, where I sit, etc., etc. Again, I'm not paranoid. I just don't want me or my family to be a victim. I would never consider being armed with less than multiple rounds in a semi auto and I am always armed. I'm not paranoid, but I'm aware of what can happen.
    Sounds about just right to me.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Good comments above. Great Points. Really its about common sense and moderation. Its unreal to be on edge all the time, but good practice to avoid leaving stuff where you know theft is common. Most of my life (I'm 67 now) I have been fortunate to be able to avoid areas that read "danger" in my subconscious.
    Most people are pretty fine. Yet there are a few - my brother was the victim of armed robbery, a friend a victim of armed robbery, a purse snatcher I once chased, three bicycles stolen over the years, so it is reasonable to be prepared. No need to give a scumbag an even break.

One thing I tell my students is be cautious not paranoid. I agree with you that some folks seem a little overboard but I don't know the neighborhood they live in either. People should realize that a violent crime can happen anywhere to anyone but you still need to live your life.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Being paranoid (whatever that may mean to each of us) bothers me less than the attitude that can go with it. "You don't have 200 gal water and 2 years of food stocked up? You only have 1000 rds of ammo? Whatta ya gonna do when the zombies come? You're stupid."

As has been said several times, we all pick and choose, and adapt into a level of self-defense comfort that is different for each of us.

Just don't look down on others for being comfortable with a different level of preparedness. I see a lot of that here.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmc10 View Post
    Back to topic- I think the OP is right on the mark for alot of folks that I see on these boards. "I've got my new widget wacker 5000 with 14 lights and lazers and my rear view glasses with the auto deathray. My bunker is filled with penicillan and supplies and I got the door fitted with a cool submarine hatch. " .
    bullseye!...cool submarine hatch...

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter
    I'm in an urban area. All vehicles locked at all times. All doors locked at all times. No windows left open after dark. Nothing of value left outside at any time. Anytime I go outside, daylight or dark, I am aware of the possibility of someone being around the area. If someone is in the area my first job is to acertain who they are and what they are doing. I'm not paranoid. it's just the reality of living in town.

When I go out and about I am always watching for the questionable person or persons. I have and will continue to alter my choice of parking spot, side of the street I'm walking on, where I sit, etc., etc. Again, I'm not paranoid. I just don't want me or my family to be a victim. I would never consider being armed with less than multiple rounds in a semi auto and I am always armed. I'm not paranoid, but I'm aware of what can happen.
    Sounds about just right to me.
    QFT. That all sounds like an appropriate strike of balance between being prepared and relaxed. Paranoia, and words like it that have loaded meanings within the context of personal protection are entirely subjective. My alert state is probably someone's relaxed state, and for good reason. Who cares? I know how ugly this world is first hand, and using the knowledge of how attacks begin to avoid certain vulnerabilities and being ready to handle the bovine mano y mano if those precautions fail is not being paranoid at all. Violence is a very real part of life these days and I accept it. Nothing more.

I absolutely do a perimeter check before bed to verify that windows and doors are locked, and that exterior lighting is on. Then set the alarms. Stage my torch, cell, and combat pistol on the night stand. Shoes next to and car keys on the dresser. I take out a long gun every night, and replace it in the morning. You get the picture. The routine is as normal as getting dressed after showering or putting on my gun in the morning .
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Links