How do you get out at all?

This is a discussion on How do you get out at all? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the OP brings up a valid point, and I agree with what some other folks have posted. Beyond reasonable precautions - one benefit ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: How do you get out at all?

Attacks Are But One Form of Danger

I think the OP brings up a valid point, and I agree with what some other folks have posted.

Beyond reasonable precautions - one benefit of which at to EASE anxiety - any danger that we routinely live with can become a fixation and cause constant fear..

I read an interesting article based on a study - which found that concentrating on safety in regards to a danger, will produce more anxiety and less sense of safety after a point.

On any day, we can be killed or mangled driving, using power tools, catching a virus, taking medications (if we or someone else makes an error), being in a fire - and countless others - and also walking down the street and getting attacked.

I think unless the last is a grave danger by nature of the area or a situation, it deserves precautions, including perhaps the one we choose: carrying a weapon. But unless it is the most likely to happen to us, and by a lot, some balance is best. We likely have a much greater chance of a car accident, perhaps a fire, than an attack. And we could sit around constantly thinking of car accidents, installing 12 airbags and three emergency brakes etc.. But we don't. Same balance I think is healthiest for violent crime preparedness.

My feeling anyway........

Woops, have to go, they finished fueling the F-16.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hey... just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get me!

I tend to believe that some people here, how should I say this... embellish a wee bit and perhaps confuse what they think is a good idea with what they actually do!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, no tool is useless merely because it cannot be brought into play for the least likely percentage of situations.

It's still a potentially valuable tool, particularly when many encounters don't allow for an immediate draw anyway, instead forcing us to withstand the initial attack and pick the moment at some point down the line during the engagement. Having left the tool at home for playing and plinking would relegate all of these folks to the coffin because they couldn't approach an artificial and arbitrary 1.5sec dividing line between "competence and uselessness."

Being a gimp in pain makes and with limited range of motion makes it difficult to be Captain American in speed of response. I'm willing to bet that in many (perhaps most) situations, a violent attacker is going to adjust the attack to the perceived threat of failure. Against an aging gimp in pain, very likely subterfuge and patience is going to play into the hands of the defender. Won't always, no. But then, "1.5 seconds" isn't an "always" sort of thing, either.

I, too, would love to have a magic cloak of invincibility around me to guard against all attack, of the one-second variety as well as others. Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime. So, you use what you've got and train the best you can to leverage other aspects of the fight to advantage.
    I gotta agree. I wear a Smartcarry holster and its not as fast on the draw as other carry methods are. But for me and my lifestyle and activity level don always allow for other methods, (like changing oil under a truck with a small of back carry for instance). So I can either alter my life completely or come to a compromise. Its most important to me that I can carry a full sized type of pistol AND carry it every single day, no matter what Im doing. I cant draw it in 1.5 seconds or less, its actually a little over 2 seconds. But I'll give that extra half second on a draw to ALWAYS have the option to draw.
    Im also a little bummed sometimes when people have the huge numbers for the amount of ammo you should shoot a month or you shouldn't carry at all. Ive got a wife and small son and I cant afford several hundred dollars a month to go shoot up at the range. I go when I can and shoot my .22 at home when I cant and I dont think that makes my life any less worth protecting.

Alex!

Ive got a wife and small son and I cant afford several hundred dollars a month to go shoot up at the range. I go when I can and shoot my .22 at home when I cant and I don't think that makes my life any less worth protecting.
    I think this an extremely good point. One of the reasons I left a previous Forum was I would read posts criticizing someone for having a "garbage" gun, but often the person criticized didn't mention any garbage-gun but just one that wasn't very pricey. Other times, posts would say you were crazy if you didn't have this laser or that fine leather holster, or these state-of-the-art night sights etc.

But let's face it. Not everyone can afford a handmade 1911 for $2000, and another $500 for accessories.

But who suffers the most from violent crime? The poor, the bad neighborhood, the working father with 4 children. Or the single mother. You can protect yourself well without going broke. My total expenditures for a Colt Detective, Colt Cobra, Colt Python and Glock 36 was $1630, spread out over three years. And they are all really fine guns. One Wilson 1911 would cost at least that and likely more. Sure I'd like a Wilson. But I have what I need and i found great guns with careful looking and pricing.

I dislike the idea that Self-Defense is for those who can spend a lot.
    Last edited by hamlet; December 3rd, 2009 at 08:04 AM.

Some may not consider me a very safe person, I let people within 21 feet and often speak to them. There are times I will shake hands with someone I just met.
    I lock all my doors at night but do not do a (perimeter) check. I sleep with guns close but not under my pillow with my hand on them. I answer my phone when I don't recognize the caller ID and the door when someone knocks.
    I even go to the mailbox unarmed during the day, at night I may be armed because of the coyotes that believe they own the deed to my property.
    But that's just me, I do not look down on anyone who does things differently it's their choice and right.

Y'all be safe I've got to go serve an eviction notice to a couple coyotes whom are back on rent.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Some may not consider me a very safe person, I let people within 21 feet and often speak to them. There are times I will shake hands with someone I just met.
    I lock all my doors at night but do not do a (perimeter) check. I sleep with guns close but not under my pillow with my hand on them. I answer my phone when I don't recognize the caller ID and the door when someone knocks.
    I even go to the mailbox unarmed during the day, at night I may be armed because of the coyotes that believe they own the deed to my property.
    But that's just me, I do not look down on anyone who does things differently it's their choice and right.

Y'all be safe I've got to go serve an eviction notice to a couple coyotes whom are back on rent.
    Sick um rott...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

This discussion is the reason I joined this site. Lots to think about and give consideration to my own reasoning. Thanks to all for their input.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves to go outside of their own home...after checking the perimeter...setting the alarm...setting up 7 items in a particular place...practicing the draw and double tap to the chest...

where do you sit in a movie theater?..

are you able to walk down the street without someone walking backward behind you to guard your back?...you know someone could walk right up behind you and take you out before you know what hit you?...the horror!...

i think after you type some of this stuff you really need to take a moment to read it and ask yourself...is this the way i really live?...

just saying...
    I've said the same thing too. I think its funny how i get called out being a wannabe LEO for no reason, but then there are people on here who practically carry a duty belt on them when they go to the store. I mean really ?? Oh well, whatever floats there boats i guess.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

That's the way it should be. You're a straight up guy Rott, go get those damn cyotes.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    This should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Oh yeah. Hey, pass the popcorn.
    ^^^^YEP^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Well for me it's............

Oops, gotta go and check the perimeter.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've brought up the same thing before; at what point does being prepared cross into paranoia?

A lot of what goes on here is pure paranoia, some is just thought processes being displayed on some is the tactical peepee contest.
    I don't allow my preparedness intrude on a normal, happy and healthy life. I do think of a lot of things normal people do not, its just part of me. Some of the stuff people worry about here make me chuckle. They worry about silly things while ignoring the obvious danger.

My profession demands it, and it spills over into my personal life. It is what it is. Its part of my life, yet it is not my life.

I'm in the SIXTO camp on this one.
    What I do for a living(transport hazardous bulk tank material) makes me aware, but does not over run my life to the extent that That is how I live my life

Being in politics is like being a football coach; you have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important." - Eugene McCarthy
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Thank you for asking this!

Yes, many are paranoid. If you are one of them, go for a walk with your spouse and dog in the park unarmed and enjoy life.

For me it is all about playing probability. It is likely that there will be a few home break-ins or attempted assaults against me during my lifetime. I take basic mitigating steps to reduce that risk, to improve my response, and to reduce the damage caused by an incident if it does occur.

I do not and cannot prepare for every scenario and stay in high alert 24/7.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve201 View Post
    I think....k...wait one...gotta put on my tin foil hat so the guys in the black helo's can't pick out my thoughts!!

I never carried a weapon since I got out of the military until this yr when the obamanation got into office and the ammo disappeared off of shelves and fears of people not being able to get a hand gun..then I went on a buying spree...9 guns and counting....(I think I have a addiction )
    LOLOL

Oh the irony.

*munches on popcorn*
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

To the OP, I know my place...That is I go to work everyday, I protect my family every day. I like coming home after work everyday. Im not a LEO and do not pretend to be one. I want the option to protect the people I love no more, no less. Just be prepared people.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Some of us are evolving from sheep and going through phases of awareness that can come across a bit awkwardly or over enthusiastically. Those of us who have experienced the dark side of human depravity don't take personal safety for granted.
    I didnt own a gun until I was 49....and I was never a sheep. I dont think that's necessarily what you meant, but it did make me think.

And I've seen the dark side...I was a park ranger in Central Park in Manhattan, unarmed. Worked in Harlem.

I didnt even get my gun because I felt unsafe...it just seemed like a sensible tool for when I moved out into a rural area, but I slept just fine out here before I bought it. And I've found that shooting is really fun.

I'm just pretty sensible about safety and my gun has ended up more about having a convenient reason to discuss our 2nd Amendment rights with friends and strangers/

btw people, a gun does not make you a sheepdog, which is a term that I see thrown around here to the point of silliness. And I've read "On Killing" where the author very clearly explains what that is.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links