Cell phone + video camera

This is a discussion on Cell phone + video camera within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In lite of a couple of recent threads I was wondering if maybe a majority of us would be better served by carrying a cellphone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone + video camera

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Cell phone + video camera

In lite of a couple of recent threads I was wondering if maybe a majority of us would be better served by carrying a cellphone and a video camera vs. a cellphone and CCW.

You know, to call 911 and be a good witness.

Flame suit on.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure how good a witness I would make if the bad guy shoots me.

Not sure how happy I would be recording a violent crime against me or my loved ones, or anyone else for that matter. I'd much rather defend myself with a gun.

Since most cell phones today have video cameras built in, it is somewhat of a moot point.

Can you post a link to the threads you are referring to?

I carry to protect my family and myself. Anything over and above that will be at my discretion. Otherwise, as you stated "I will be a good witness and call 911".
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I didn't start carrying to enforce laws or protect others (that's their responsibility). I carry so I can defend myself and family if we are ever in an unfortunate situation. For everything else I'm happy to be a witness.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    lol... i started this today:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...not-911-a.html

we can join our brothers and just film violence for youtube...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    I didn't start carrying to enforce laws or protect others (that's their responsibility). I carry so I can defend myself and family if we are ever in an unfortunate situation. For everything else I'm happy to be a witness.
    +1.... I am not a LEO.
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

VIP Member
    I was an LEO...I'd be a good witness...It's not my job to save the world...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'm not a cop. I'm not "The Brave One" I'm not part of the neighborhood watch and my CHP didn't come W/ a bat cape.

I carry for the protection of myself & familiy.

I tend to get suspicious of those who think their CHP designates them "defenders of the flock". It's almost like they're just waiting for a chance to be a hero.

Heros get people killed I want no part of it

My PPE is for me and mine, ergo it is not my problem until it becomes my problem.

I was given a scenario type question when I was taking my NV permit class, that was close to one when I took my CO class 2+ years ago, and I am pleased that my mentality has sufficiently changed since I first started carrying.

Never get involved in something you walk into, and even if you are there from the very start, you still don't know enough.

Engage brain first, and keep a lid on the emotions.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    defend..... the flock?

the same flock that want to take away my right to carry protection?

not a chance in hell! I went through a 12 hour course, got the background anal probe, fingerprinted like some common criminal and waited forever so I could hold a piece of plastic that says I can exercise my second ammendment without LEO stopping me every 30 seconds (open carry is legal but not practiced) .
    If I ended up loosing it to save some ungrateful sheep, that would be my own fault.

I'm not obligated to defend you. Nor are you obligated to defend me. Same goes for LEO. They arn't obligated to defend you either. All I have to do to be a good citizen is call 911 and tip them off. ANONYMOUSLY

"Heros" are often prosecuted more harsh then the criminal they where trying to stop. Then when their life gets torn to shreads...they get the civil suit and loose what little they have left.

If you be a "hero" and succeed... walk away... don't identify yourself to anyone just walk away, then prey to the great god that nobody finds you.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You know thinking about it the OP may have a bit of a point. (While taking video could/should never replace your CCW) With response time from LEOs vs. the ammount of time an assault or mugging or even a robery might take chances are it will be over before the cavalry arrives. By all means they need to be called but actualy getting video of the incident may be more helpful. On 9/11 I recall I was sitting at a stop light on a very busy intersection when two car loads of teenage boys jumped out of their cars and started a fist fight right there. I was actualy sitting there laughing to myself as the bigest one couldn't have been more than 125lbs and none of them were doing much damage. When the light turned green they jumped back in their cars and took off. It couldn't have taken more than a minute and would have taken five times longer for the police to show.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    You know thinking about it the OP may have a bit of a point. (While taking video could/should never replace your CCW) With response time from LEOs vs. the ammount of time an assault or mugging or even a robery might take chances are it will be over before the cavalry arrives. By all means they need to be called but actualy getting video of the incident may be more helpful. On 9/11 I recall I was sitting at a stop light on a very busy intersection when two car loads of teenage boys jumped out of their cars and started a fist fight right there. I was actualy sitting there laughing to myself as the bigest one couldn't have been more than 125lbs and none of them were doing much damage. When the light turned green they jumped back in their cars and took off. It couldn't have taken more than a minute and would have taken five times longer for the police to show.
    This is the kind of situation I was refering to. Though my O.P. had a hint of sarcasm, I was looking to spark a informative debate.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I believe the purpose of the concealed weapon is to "prevent" the crime, whereas the cellphone only provides evidence afterwards. I would much rather have someone shoot the man attacking me with a knife than give the cops a photo of him sticking it my chest afterwards.

You agree with that concept?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And for those who aren't here to protect others, are you going to stand by and watch? Like the kids watching the gang-rape In Ca. and the kid in Chicago getting his head bashed in? Where is your sense of moral responsibility. No one suggested you patrol the street looking for trouble in which to intervene. But, don't you think the right thing to do is step in where needed? What if a LEO decided not to interven because the problem was between you and your attacker?
    I'm not going to stand by and take pictures of some thug beating an old lady to get her SS check when I have the power to stop it. If you think you could merely stand there with cellphone in hand and sleep well when you could have saved the woman from a deadly assult, make sure your cellphone is charged up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I believe the purpose of the concealed weapon is to "prevent" the crime, whereas the cellphone only provides evidence afterwards. I would much rather have someone shoot the man attacking me with a knife than give the cops a photo of him sticking it my chest afterwards.

You agree with that concept?
    Most definatly. I'm just saying if someones life isn't in eminent peril, taking a snap shot before dialing 911 might be a good idea.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links