Legal Defense "Retainer"

This is a discussion on Legal Defense "Retainer" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the gun show last weekend, I came upon this company ( http://www.texaslawshield.com ). The guys seem friendly and the program seems like it would ...

View Poll Results: What do you think about this group?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a good investment. Go for it.

11 28.95%
  • It's a waste of money. Save your hard-earned dollars.

27 71.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal Defense "Retainer"

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Legal Defense "Retainer"

At the gun show last weekend, I came upon this company (http://www.texaslawshield.com). The guys seem friendly and the program seems like it would be good. What do you guys think? Is it a waste of money or money well spent?

2. Remove Ads

Intresting, I would like to hear what others have to say as well.

It's only for Texas residents. I am trying to be cynical (critical?) and look at it that way, but I can't find much to dislike with it.

Kinda tacky website graphics, but sounds good.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Im kinda of curious with them being based out of Houston can they be available to help the people they just signed up in Fort Worth?

Alex!

VIP Member
    It kinda sounds like an insurance policy...I wonder if the $10.95 per month is the only true cost if you need their services? If it is, it doesn't sound too bad...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

That would be my very first question for them.

"If I have to call you at O-dark 30 to come to my house to talk to the police, how big is the bill from your company, or that lawyer in particular, that I am going to see in the mailbox in the following weeks for that one conference?"
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

sounds like Prepaid Legal service:

Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

Having a lawyer on retainer is a fairly expensive deal. You better have a real good relationship with him/her to. (read that; I spend a boat load of money with him/her) not many lawyers are going to get out of bed at 3am to bail your butt out of jail unless your worth a lot of money to them and they all ready know you

That's not a 'slam' against lawyers, it's just they way it is. I generally won't get out of bed at 3am to service a furnace unless it's an established customer. I have received phone calls from tenants at 2-3am and went and fixed a minor problem only to find out the landlord didn't "authorize" the repair and I never got paid....needless to say, you better be an established customer or your going to be cold for another 4 hours
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

The first two words that sprang into my mind were "Caveat Emptor".
    My child is a Honor Student at Camp Polk Correctional Facility.

Put a $20 into an envelope sitting in your gunsafe every month and every time you buy a new gun.

Put the change in your pockets into a jar every time you buy a box of ammo.

Every year, buy a 5 year maturity savings bond with the money.

If you live a semi normal life in that you don't go looking for trouble, the day you need a lawyer you will be able to drop a wad of bonds or a brick of cash on his desk and he will go do for you like a tiger.

And yes, I am a lawyer.

Save your Bling. Keep it in YOUR pocket working for YOU till you need it.

I have been doing something similar to that for years; actually that site is a little expensive, I basically pay my attorney 50$ per year, for that I get a laminated business card with his personal cell phone number on it. It resides in my wallet right behind the CHL. Believe me, having that card in your wallet to hand to an LEO after you have had something bad happen is well worth the money you paid for it.

My advice is if you want to do something like that, seek out a good criminal defense attorney and meet with this attorney and state your intentions. They will listen and give you advice based on the area you live in and your circumstances. Make sure whichever attorney you select is board-certified and has experience in criminal defense and trial law. You don't want a tax attorney or a divorce lawyer defending you from a murder/manslaughter/homicide charge.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I don't know if PrePaid Legal would cover you in a criminal trial such as a self-defense shooting.
    The NRA has a policy specifically for this. I believe the cost is $165 a year.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

VIP Member

Save the money

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Put a $20 into an envelope sitting in your gunsafe every month and every time you buy a new gun.

Put the change in your pockets into a jar every time you buy a box of ammo.

Every year, buy a 5 year maturity savings bond with the money.

If you live a semi normal life in that you don't go looking for trouble, the day you need a lawyer you will be able to drop a wad of bonds or a brick of cash on his desk and he will go do for you like a tiger.

And yes, I am a lawyer.

Here here for MitchCT.

I've no experience with criminal attorneys but bunches (unfortunately) with some civil stuff and personal financial matters.

A retainer is simply a contract that makes sure the lawyer gets paid for work done. E.g., You go in and talk to your lawyer and he says something like I bill 300 dollars an hour. Before I get started, I need a 3 K retainer to draw on. You get billed in 50 dollar increments for each 10 minutes. A phone call lasting 1 minute is billed as 10 minutes. That's the deal client, take it or not, and put up 3K and I'll roll up my sleeves. Then somewhere in the contract he gives himself the various rights to collect if you don't pay up. If you get in arrears, he fires his client.

Mitch correctly states that you can easily save up enough for a "retainer" if you ever need one; and if you don't, then you have extra money when you are retired.

And remember, the retainer is not pre-paid insurance or an agreement to give unlimited free legal advice. It is "a deposit," "a down-payment." It is money against which the lawyer draws his 300 bucks or so an hour.

The sky is the limit on defense costs. Most of us probably can't afford it without losing our house, car, kids, wife, and every dime we will earn the rest of our lives. And the prosecutor always has the unlimited resources of the state to back his case.

So, be extra careful to stay out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

And yes, I am a lawyer.

What should we do? Get the card of a lawyer we trust & keep it handy, paying him once we actually need the services?

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    What should we do? Get the card of a lawyer we trust & keep it handy, paying him once we actually need the services?
    Mitch gave us great advice.

Dude, lawyers come and go. Say you pay a guy a retainer, keep his card in your wallet, etc. and when you actually blast some attacker, you find out he's left his practice and is now teaching yoga in Santa Monica?

How often do you plan on shooting someone? That will drive your decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links